Why does Maryland have no RKBA in the state contitution?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    McDonald should negate the question.
    The Md Constitution as already written should already cover this

Would I like to have it explicitly stated one more time ? You betcha . But the original question was WHY . Back when it was doable , it was apparently considered not needed .

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Some years ago I did some research on the subject. Although I can't find my documentation, here is what I recollect - take it for what it's worth. There was at least one discussion during the State's convention to include a 2A statement in the Maryland Constitution. Some of the delegates present wanted it included. A fellow from Baltimore (could have actually been Balto. City) argued that such inclusion was unnecessary (and thus redundant) because of the Bill of Rights, and because the Maryland Constitution defers to the federal document as being supreme. If I come across my notes I will be sure to post them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Somewhat ironic given Maryland's Catholic history and settlement, and the English, if I remember these tidbits of history correctly, restricting the right of Catholics to arm themselves centuries prior.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Shouldn't McDonald negate this discussion, since it incorporated the 2A against the States?

McDonald should negate the question.
    The Md Constitution as already written should already cover this

Would I like to have it explicitly stated one more time ? You betcha . But the original question was WHY . Back when it was doable , it was apparently considered not needed .

The discussion/question is specific to the Maryland Constitution.

McDonald does not address anything in the Maryland Constitution. It applies 2A to the states. While you do not need to rely on any state constitution protections, it may be more limited in scope compared to state constitutional protections. The current lawsuits appear to suggest that the 2A protection is very narrow.

There definitely is no explicit right stated in the Maryland Constitution. Whether there are implicit rights remains to be seen. Kolbe does not seem to think there is. There are other opinions however. That is what this discussion is about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom