Can someone enlighten me? Why can Sen. Frosh "hold" a bill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    This issue has sort of been mystifying to me. If a bill is being voted on and passed up through the upper echelons of the Marylander legislature; how can "one" man prevent it from being introduced; or voted on?

I'm not sure of the mechanics of this. Novus, or anyone; can you show me how this works in the Maryland legislature?

Kindest regards,

-Will

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well, the truth of the matter is that a bill goes through committee before it hits the floor. The Chair of that committee has the authority to schedule the votes for any bill before his committee. If the Chairman never schedules a vote on the bill, it effectivly dies.

That's pretty much it to my knowledge.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    so the power falls on his lap ?

Crap, that isnt soemthing that I was taught ..just let the people run the show, not those fools who wanna earn money ..

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I think it's more of a "it's not supposed to happen that way but it can" kind of thing. The guy is a lawyer, this particular bill is a conflict of interest for him. He lets it through he shoots himself in the foot. He's using the system to his advantage.

How many career politicians act in the best interest of the people over their own? Not many, if any.

Can we petition a bill that would put a time limit on scheduling bills to be voted on? Would fix this problem....

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    He uses the power that's delegated to him by the rules of our legislature. All committee chairmen do it and part of their responsibility is to filter the bills before they get to the floor. Senator Frosh is just a little more, ahem, enthusiastic about his power than others.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    He uses the power that's delegated to him by the rules of our legislature. All committee chairmen do it and part of their responsibility is to filter the bills before they get to the floor. Senator Frosh is just a little more, ahem, enthusiastic about his power than others.

or in more eloquent terms Frosh= Asshat

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    I was just thinking about this the other day, while waiting for the HB470 report. Doesn't seem right ('course, what in our Government does?). Seems like we traded one king/queen for a handful to run different groups of people. Not exactly the kind of Governemnt I grew up learning about.

SDA

May 22, 2008
    Dun-Doc Hun
    Just warms the heart to see a well oiled and finely tuned democratic process...I mean...dictatorship in action! :innocent0

This morning I sat on my porcelain throne and dropped a big log in honor of that finely tuned machine in Annapolis! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom