• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    great to have more like minded folks in MD even with the hardship...we need your votes and advocacy

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    In general, if you're a like minded person do not move to Maryland your vote will get wasted. From a political standpoint, its much better you move to either PA and VA. Due to Covid, many people are working remote so distance to a company office shouldn't be a huge problem as it once was.

Republicans in deep blue states really should make a plan to exit within the next 4 years and move to swing states/purple states.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    If you have a job and you must be in MD, you don't have a choice. I wouldn't move to MD. You will be aggravated.

Outofstater

Jan 22, 2021
    Traveling to md with firearm

I am an out of state ccw permit holder that would like to bring my Glock 43x pistol with me to my mother in laws in PG County. I realize that in MD I’ll have to travel with gun unloaded and locked. Is it legal for me to arrive at my mother in laws with it as well as possess the pistol loaded inside her home? It appears to be legal but I can’t find anything regarding this on web.

Thank you

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am an out of state ccw permit holder that would like to bring my Glock 43x pistol with me to my mother in laws in PG County. I realize that in MD I’ll have to travel with gun unloaded and locked. Is it legal for me to arrive at my mother in laws with it as well as possess the pistol loaded inside her home? It appears to be legal but I can’t find anything regarding this on web.

Thank you

Are there any kids in the house? How will it be kept, gun safe? Anyone in the household a “prohibited” person? All things to think about.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Thank you

Yes that’s legal. Your CCW permit is irrelevant in MD. As mentioned above, you need to think about whether anyone in the house is a prohibited person, kids around, etc.
    Otherwise, follow the rules and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another gun guy relocating to Maryland and...

Please forgive me.
    I know you've heard and seen this before, probably too many times. However, like Condor 3004, I have to relocate to MD, from a "free state" where I own a few rifles and hold an Enhanced concealed carry permit.

My question has to do with semi automatic rifles and their legality in MD.
    Only one of my rifles, an M1A, is on the 'Hell No' list. But I also have a Browning 30-06 (4+1 rds) a Marlin Mod 60 .22LR (10) and a Ruger 10/22 (10). I read somewhere that the State has outlawed semi auto rifles, even those that don't look like "evil black rifles" or their copies. Is that true?

I won't even go to the handgun issue, but that's a concern, too. I hope to be able to get a carry permit but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks in advance!

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    First, do not move here. If you do then any guns bought post ban are a problem. Your better off moving to West Virginia and commuting to Maryland.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Please forgive me.
    I know you've heard and seen this before, probably too many times. However, like Condor 3004, I have to relocate to MD, from a "free state" where I own a few rifles and hold an Enhanced concealed carry permit.

My question has to do with semi automatic rifles and their legality in MD.
    Only one of my rifles, an M1A, is on the 'Hell No' list. But I also have a Browning 30-06 (4+1 rds) a Marlin Mod 60 .22LR (10) and a Ruger 10/22 (10). I read somewhere that the State has outlawed semi auto rifles, even those that don't look like "evil black rifles" or their copies. Is that true?

I won't even go to the handgun issue, but that's a concern, too. I hope to be able to get a carry permit but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks in advance!

That is WRONG.

Your M1A is only an issue if you purchased it after 9/30/2013.

The others are fine.

Erock

Oct 18, 2020
    I highly recommend that you do not come to this Communist state. However if you must, Register nothing.

PmThompson

Senior Junior Member
    Feb 6, 2021
    MD
    Agree with the advice here. I have just completed my move into the area from Texas and registered what I needed to. Fortunately I have nothing acquired prior to the new laws. You will need to look closely at the laws with regards to what you need to register (for me handguns, stripped lowers and Ar15's). No need to register weapons not on the ban/copy cat lists. Good luck with the move.

+1
    The negativity doesn't help. I'm waiting for 2nd COV shot to take effect before I undertake the tests that seem to be required. I don't need CCW, just need to be legal for handguns. I'm not sure about bringing my long guns for NRA high-power matches ... I've developed a nasty problem (epiretinal membrane) in my dominant eye that makes it hard to use optical sights.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter

Thank you

How well do you get along w/MIL?

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Man, 2013 really sucked for Liberty. Since the SCOTUS had ruled in the past that registration is not Constitutional, I am surprised MSI and others have not challenged that to SCOTUS. (In 1992, or there abouts, Bubba tried to get the FBI to create a national registration system, and the SCOTUS stopped him in his tracks as it was deemed contrary to the Constitution...).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Man, 2013 really sucked for Liberty. Since the SCOTUS had ruled in the past that registration is not Constitutional, I am surprised MSI and others have not challenged that to SCOTUS. (In 1992, or there abouts, Bubba tried to get the FBI to create a national registration system, and the SCOTUS stopped him in his tracks as it was deemed contrary to the Constitution...).

Broadly, handguns are not registered in Maryland. The State keeps a Database of Transfers: that is, the keep the records of all the Forms 77r, so they have a rough list of handguns which are legally acquired.

But the records aren't linked to the actual guns: they are records of the paperwork. The records are never updated, and there is no requirement that they be. If you sell the gun, there will still be a record of it in your name, forever. It will also be linked to the new owner if in Maryland. One handgun could be recorded as having been transferred to many people. If it is sold to an out of state buyer, the Maryland State Police will never know, and they have no interest in being informed.

Yes, a "registration" requirement was enacted with the 2013 Infringement, but that is a one time requirement for new residents only, and there is no requirement that the registration be renewed periodically (as is required in some states), or that the MSP be informed of future dispositions, as in transfer out of state. That is not registration in the strict sense.

There are strict registration systems in a few states, such as New York, Illinois, and Massachusetts, which include periodic re-registration and updating. In some states it is not legally possible to possess an "unregistered" handgun. That is not the case in Maryland.

Anyway, the States may do some things forbidden to the Federal Government.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Broadly, handguns are not registered in Maryland. The State keeps a Database of Transfers: that is, the keep the records of all the Forms 77r, so they have a rough list of handguns which are legally acquired.

But the records aren't linked to the actual guns: they are records of the paperwork. The records are never updated, and there is no requirement that they be. If you sell the gun, there will still be a record of it in your name, forever. It will also be linked to the new owner if in Maryland. One handgun could be recorded as having been transferred to many people. If it is sold to an out of state buyer, the Maryland State Police will never know, and they have no interest in being informed.

Yes, a "registration" requirement was enacted with the 2013 Infringement, but that is a one time requirement for new residents only, and there is no requirement that the registration be renewed periodically (as is required in some states), or that the MSP be informed of future dispositions, as in transfer out of state. That is not registration in the strict sense.

Not exactly. A number of years ago, the From 77 started to include a statement that you "voluntarily" consented to registering the firearm being purchased. But there was no way to decline this "voluntary" registration.

FSA 2013 added the requirement for people establishing residency in the state to register certain firearms.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not exactly. A number of years ago, the From 77 started to include a statement that you "voluntarily" consented to registering the firearm being purchased. But there was no way to decline this "voluntary" registration.

FSA 2013 added the requirement for people establishing residency in the state to register certain firearms.
    I hate to go there, but "Voluntary Registration" is a secondary function of the Form 77r.

The same form is used for two completely different functions:

1) Transfer of ownership - inclusion of the record of transfer in the database is not optional.

2) Voluntary Registration (ownership does no change.) Someone legally possesses an "unregistered handgun" and wants it included in the database for whatever reason. This is indeed voluntary.

You are referring to a little box at the top of the form to be checked off when the form is used for that alternate purpose.

The same background checks are done, but ownership of the gun does not change.

I really don't want to quibble about this. It's just a bureaucratic thing we Marylanders love to be scandalized about.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When was that?

IIRC, the check box was taken off and the form wording was changed that the form did both at the same time.

Somewhat moot, as in the system is in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom