• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdrpd

Mar 20, 2018
    Was at a gun shop in PA and they told me if I brought my M1919 there to consign, they couldn't give it back to me if it didn't sell, because all belt-feds were now illegal in MD?

Truth or BS?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Your belt needs to be 10 rounds, max.

Just kidding, that sounds like ******** to me. Call Duffy's and see if you can consign it there.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    That PAFFL probably saw the headlines that after October 1 there will be no new machine gun sales in Maryland That is of course if MSI can’t beat the bastards in court.

That FFL probably thought that the news about a new law was that it took affect immediately.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    BS.

Semi -auto belt-fed M1919 is cash and carry (if you can carry it!)

FTF OK too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    That PAFFL probably saw the headlines that after October 1 there will be no new machine gun sales in Maryland That is of course if MSI can’t beat the bastards in court.

Are you sure that MD subjects won't be able to purchase MGs after 10/1? Bumpstocks and crank-fires, yes (pending MSI lawsuit), but real MGs?

I'm pretty sure that information is incorrect. Surprisingly, MD is pretty NFA-friendly.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Are you sure that MD subjects won't be able to purchase MGs after 10/1? Bumpstocks and crank-fires, yes (pending MSI lawsuit), but real MGs?

I'm pretty sure that information is incorrect. Surprisingly, MD is pretty NFA-friendly.

Apparently it was part of a previous reading of the bill, but not the one that was passed. I got battered for that misread here, but I used that misread back in May to convince the SO that I needed to accelerate my timeline to buy a M11/9 (was going to buy one in a couple of years). The real happy part of my situation is that I bought it a few weeks before Lage announced that the Max-11/15's new design was approved and the M11/9 market went nuts.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Nope, he's right.

The text of HB888, as enrolled, defines a "Burst Trigger System" as follows:

G
    "BURST TRIGGER SYSTEM” MEANS A DEVICE THAT, WHEN INSTALLED IN OR ATTACHED TO A FIREARM, ALLOWS THE FIREARM TO DISCHARGE TWO OR MORE SHOTS WITH A SINGLE PULL OF THE TRIGGER BY ALTERING THE TRIGGER RESET."

That fits the definition of a fully automatic firearm / machinegun, with some *possible* flex for systems that operate without altering the trigger reset.

It then goes on to define a "Rapid Fire Trigger Activator" as including a "Burst Trigger System" and various other similar devices.

It then goes on to say:
    4–305.1.
    (A)EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (B)OF THIS SECTION, A PERSON MAY NOT:

(1)TRANSPORT A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR INTO THE STATE; OR

(2)MANUFACTURE, POSSESS, SELL, OFFER TO SELL, TRANSFER, PURCHASE, OR RECEIVE A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR.

(B) THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO THE POSSESSION OF A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR BYA PERSON WHO:

(1)POSSESSED THE RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2018;

(2)APPLIED TO THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2018, FOR AUTHORIZATION TO POSSESS A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR; AND

(3)IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR POSSESSION OF A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR.

So in other words, unless you possessed the "Rapid Fire Trigger Activator" prior to 10/1/18 then you can't have it here any more.

Someone please correct my logic if I'm wrong.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Nope, he's right.

The text of HB888, as enrolled, defines a "Burst Trigger System" as follows:

That fits the definition of a fully automatic firearm / machinegun, with some *possible* flex for systems that operate without altering the trigger reset.

It then goes on to define a "Rapid Fire Trigger Activator" as including a "Burst Trigger System" and various other similar devices.

It then goes on to say:

So in other words, unless you possessed the "Rapid Fire Trigger Activator" prior to 10/1/18 then you can't have it here any more.

Someone please correct my logic if I'm wrong.

I read numbers 1, 2, and 3 as independent of each other, therefore number 3 allows you to purchase a MG.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I read numbers 1, 2, and 3 as independent of each other, therefore number 3 allows you to purchase a MG.

You're reading it wrong.

It's "a person who did this; this; and this."

Not "a person who did this, this; or this."

If you read the rest of the text of the bill that is very clear.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    (1)POSSESSED THE RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2018;

(2)APPLIED TO THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2018, FOR AUTHORIZATION TO POSSESS A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR; AND

(3)IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR POSSESSION OF A RAPID FIRE TRIGGER ACTIVATOR.

If the "AND" were an "OR".

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I say no but good luck convincing anyone of that. Anyway cause aim wouldn't send Links to Md and wouldn't separate my order, I sent the gun and all to VA and did the transfer there .

A few years ago, I bought a Swiss Model 1889 from Poulins Auction. This, of course, is an antique firearm with an obsolete cartridge. They refused to ship it to me because it has a 12-round magazine. I sent them literature about the rifle that explained that, unlike the later variants of the Schmidt-Rubin rifles and carbines, the magazine on a Model 1899 was never intended as a detachable magazine. The ability to remove it, which is not a simple task, was designed solely for the purpose of cleaning things. Ultimately, they agreed to ship the magazine to my out of state address.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    MGs illegal to buy soon!?!?!?

That is gonna suck.

I would really like to hear from some in our FFL community on that matter. The folks who make their living selling class IIIs in MD are going to have some well informed takes on this. Paging, The Devil Himself and/or A1 Uniforms... Vince, Greg, what say you?

I do not read it the same way as some, but dammit, Jim, I'm a scientist, not a lawyer. My thoughts were that this entire bill is written to legislate add ons to semi-auto rifles which make them approximate full auto. Is a "burst trigger device" the same as a full auto sear? I don't think so, but then again, I can't get anyone to tell me what a "burst trigger device" is anyway. GAT/HYPER GAT? Don't know.

Either way, I'm glad I expanded my collection over the last couple of years. With me starting the new business, I've got nothing available for panic buying. And panic buying full auto can be pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom