• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I just picked up my AR M&P15A3 from On Target tonight. While I am happy that I finally took delivery of it (purchased on 30 Jan, MSP approved purchase on Feb 5th, and pickup was today - Feb 9th)

....I'm starting to wonder a little about my still pending purchase of Silver Bear .223 ammo.

Some folks say it won't hurt the AR, other folks say that it's not good for it.

I know that it will wear on the extractor, if volumous amounts of steel cased ammo are shot out of it.

I've got 1400 rounds incoming. Will this amount negatively affect the AR, or should I just go cancel the order and look for more brass cased .223?

Kindest Regards,

-Will

I just picked up my AR M&P15A3 from On Target tonight. While I am happy that I finally took delivery of it (purchased on 30 Jan, MSP approved purchase on Feb 5th, and pickup was today - Feb 9th)

....I'm starting to wonder a little about my still pending purchase of Silver Bear .223 ammo.

Some folks say it won't hurt the AR, other folks say that it's not good for it.

I know that it will wear on the extractor, if volumous amounts of steel cased ammo are shot out of it.

I've got 1400 rounds incoming. Will this amount negatively affect the AR, or should I just go cancel the order and look for more brass cased .223?

Kindest Regards,

-Will

i'd buy the brass stuff.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    with all respect to canuck's wisdom and experience, he is correct that brass case ammo is better (usually loaded more consistently with higher quality components too)

for blasting, however, steel case ammo will run.....if your bore is chromed i would feel comfortable shooting it. My AR15 is a match gun and doesnt run anything but brass case match ammo (including handloads). On the flip side of that, the M16 and the AC556s (not mine) get fed a steady diet of Wolf steel case with no ill effects yet. the M16 has tens of thousands of rounds on it (no need to replace the extractor yet) mostly from betamag dumps. the only component that has broken has been a bolt lug (we suspect faulty ammo, as the recovered case exhibited signs of excessive pressure in-battery, with no signs of an out-of-battery problem.)

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    the expense factor of how much money you will save by shooting the cheaper stuff will outweigh the cost of an extractor 15,000-20,000 rounds down the road.

Cost of 10,000 rds of silver bear and 10,000 or brass cased remington UMC (or whatever its called), the price difference is huge and makes up for any and all other expenses you would incur.

blast away w/ it the cheap shit, if you don't like it then sell it.

with all respect to canuck's wisdom and experience, he is correct that brass case ammo is better (usually loaded more consistently with higher quality components too)

for blasting, however, steel case ammo will run.....if your bore is chromed i would feel comfortable shooting it. My AR15 is a match gun and doesnt run anything but brass case match ammo (including handloads). On the flip side of that, the M16 and the AC556s (not mine) get fed a steady diet of Wolf steel case with no ill effects yet. the M16 has tens of thousands of rounds on it (no need to replace the extractor yet) mostly from betamag dumps. the only component that has broken has been a bolt lug (we suspect faulty ammo, as the recovered case exhibited signs of excessive pressure in-battery, with no signs of an out-of-battery problem.)

Thanks.:D

The wolf will run, I just don't feed it through my stuff. Component failure will be faster when running steel.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Very good info and thoughts guys. I appreciate it. I will let my pending order process for the Silver Bear.

Kindest regards,

-Will

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    I use to be a brass only man.Now have ran thousands of steel with no problems.Except one after shooting a load of steel with polymer sealant switching to brass will cause brass to stick in chamber.Once you clean chamber brass runs find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom