• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    Was at Joint Base Andrews yesterday morning and noticed that the Firearms Section was actually open. Its been there for a while now but only had a "soft opening" recently. I spoke with the nice lady at the counter and she said that their "grand opening" would be on the 13th and 14th of July.

The important takeaway I received was that on the 13th you could get a 10pct discount on the purchase of a firearm and receive an additional 5pct. discount if you purchased using your Star Card. They didn't have the full line of firearms available yet, but you can order for purchase as well. I asked if I could take some photos and was told it was okay. Here is what the place looks like.

20180707_095125_zps1zfimnws.jpg
    [/URL]

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Bought several things there already. I don't have to drive to an Army installation anymore. Thank God for that!

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    That looks a lot like the gun section at the Fort Meade PX. The selection is not bad, the prices vary but you can get great deals during their sales, they will order what you want if they don’t have it, and no sales tax. What a great benefit.

MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    I was told that the previous Commanding Officer would not allow firearms sales at the Base Exchange. Its up to the CO's discretion at each base. However, when he left, the new one had no problem with it and that led to what is now there. Its is very much like the one at FT. Mead. Now I don't have to drive all the way there just to check out what they have or to purchase some items.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Letting military men and women possess firearms? That's just crazy.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    If anyone has a review of their experience buying a gun there it would be great to hear. The Fort Meade employees vary in their knowledge and customer service skills. If you know what you want you can usually get a good price, especially during a sale, but you probably won’t learn much from the staff.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    If anyone has a review of their experience buying a gun there it would be great to hear. The Fort Meade employees vary in their knowledge and customer service skills. If you know what you want you can usually get a good price, especially during a sale, but you probably won’t learn much from the staff.

New here, lurked for a long time, but this is my first post.

My father purchased a Ruger 10/22 Carbine there during the soft launch, and they made him fill out the normal 4473 and for some reason a Maryland 77R (which should only needed for pistols/regulated firearms I believe? It was almost humorous to watch them try to find the 10/22 in the system as the regulated firearm being sold but they eventually somehow did). They gave him the rifle when he paid and walked him to the car with it in about 30 min after he got the PIN from MDSP.

A week or so later we got a mail from MDSP saying our firearm could be picked up and to call a given number if we were already in possession of it. (which we haven't done since it was a 10/22 rifle which doesnt need the waiting period. though should we call them?)

They will only sell to current or retired military person, they will not sell to their spouses or dependents. (I am 40 years old so not a dependent anymore, but I provide care for my mother and frequently go with them there.)

It was an odd experience. We usually buy from different stores around here and never had to do a 77R for a Rifle at any other.

No idea if they still make you do a 77R to get a rifle, maybe its a base policy? or they were/are confused? (it was the first day they were selling firearms there)
    Employees in general didnt know much about the weapons being sold. One guy (Charles I think his name is) seemed to know his stuff as far as the weapons themselves go but he was the one insistent that we must do a 77R for the 10/22 Carbine.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016

My father purchased a Ruger 10/22 Carbine there during the soft launch, and they made him fill out the normal 4473 and for some reason a Maryland 77R (which should only needed for pistols/regulated firearms I believe? It was almost humorous to watch them try to find the 10/22 in the system as the regulated firearm being sold but they eventually somehow did). They gave him the rifle when he paid and walked him to the car with it in about 30 min after he got the PIN from MDSP.

A week or so later we got a mail from MDSP saying our firearm could be picked up and to call a given number if we were already in possession of it. (which we haven't done since it was a 10/22 rifle which doesnt need the waiting period. though should we call them?)

They will only sell to current or retired military person, they will not sell to their spouses or dependents. (I am 40 years old so not a dependent anymore, but I provide care for my mother and frequently go with them there.)

It was an odd experience. We usually buy from different stores around here and never had to do a 77R for a Rifle at any other.

No idea if they still make you do a 77R to get a rifle, maybe its a base policy? or they were/are confused? (it was the first day they were selling firearms there)
    Employees in general didnt know much about the weapons being sold. One guy (Charles I think his name is) seemed to know his stuff as far as the weapons themselves go but he was the one insistent that we must do a 77R for the 10/22 Carbine.

Jamesp15, welcome! Thanks for the review. Sounds about right for AAFES.

Currently they are selling all Sig Sauer guns at 10% off, and of course, no sales tax. If you know what you want it may be worth the painful customer service to land a great price.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Great first post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom