• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Friends-Dealing with the task of moving on a loved ones collections due to family requirements. I was hoping some of the "gray beards" here could help me by offering up their insight and resources so I can properly assess the below for value and quality

Smith and Wesson Model 57 in ".41" Magnum (until today I had never heard of it). See Pics. This has all the original paperwork and box. I added the original grips, paperwork and box to the pictures. The pistol is a Model 57 and DOES NOT have the "-". Its recessed on the chambers within the wheel and the barrel is pinned. The following markings exist: Triangle with an 'L" in it. Circle with a "P" in it, D7 and D5 on the frame behind the grips. SN: 143981. I have the reloading dies to reload your own cartridges, about 100 rounds for it and a bit of brass for reloading.

Smith and Wesson Model 33-1 in 38 Smith and Wesson (1 first pic). Barrel is pinned has an R on the frame behind the grips. I have the reloading dies for the pistol to make your own cartridges and quite a few reloading supplies (lead, brass) for the unit. SN: 119419. I hope to have the original box shortly.

Thank you folks for your time and assistance..I do need to clean these up. Also will be posting a few items in the reloading section for guidance. The plan is to sell them so if you Smith and Wesson Guru's have a specific site for very nice revolvers let me know please.

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4737.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Can you post a pic of the area of the frame where the cylinder swings out? There should be numbers denoting "MOD. 57" and may or may not have a "-" number following.
    Looks like an interesting piece, unfortunately it does not have the original grips. Still, the model 57 is a desirable piece.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    When you take the grips off, take pictures of ALL markings on the grip area of the frame (right and left sides). Some of these can provide information such as if it had been back to the factory for any work. PM me your serial number and I can tell you how old it is.

I am a bit of a S&W nerd.

This info applies to both revolvers.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's not a M331. that's a M33-1 .

Chambered in .38S&W, Not .38spl .

The dash 1 indicates it is built on the J Frame, not the earlier I Frame . First mfg 1960, discontinued 1974 .

coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Friends-Thanks for the information. I will update the original post and will welcome your continued feedback. But to add it in here: (a) 41 Magnum: Added original grips. Clarified the .38 Smith and Wesson is a MODEL 33-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom