• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Mods please Lock this thread. All I wanted was is it a issue with Promags or should send it back.
    You do understand that there is no reason to lock this thread.

If you don't like what happened, that isn't our problem. It might be time to grow a thicker skin, if you plan on being in a forum that is online.

We actually were behaving rather well in this thread. We weren't trolling you, we weren't degrading you, we didn't attack you, we didn't talk down to you, nor did we do anything else. We were actually pretty civil in our views.

good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you-30583680.jpeg

Last edited:
    You do understand that there is no reason to lock this thread.

If you don't like what happened, that isn't our problem. It might be time to grow a thicker skin, if you plan on being in a forum that is online.

We actually were behaving rather well in this thread. We weren't trolling you, we weren't degrading you, we didn't attack you, we didn't talk down to you, nor did we do anything else. We were actually pretty civil in our views. View attachment 247190

The OP asked a simple question and by the 5th response, the PSA bashing had already started. In typical MDS fashion, the thread went like this...
    "I have a question about ________ with my PSA"
    "Bad mags?"
    "Gas block?"
    "PSA sucks"
    "Try different ammo"
    "PSA is garbage"
    "I like all the PSA's I own"
    "PSA voted for Hillary"

Yes I know he is well respected on this forum and his opinions carry a lot of weight. I'm just saying I've shot the hell out of PSA AR 15's, AR 9's, and AR 10's, and all have been fine. PSA probably sells as many AR's and parts as anyone else and maybe more. They have a bunch of retail stores and are growing. This wouldn't happen if all they sold was junk. Considering the volume of of items they sell, I'm not surprised that some crap doesn't get through. I realize it's not top of the line stuff but from my limited experience it's ok. Most of us aren't going into combat with these guns.

So you are essentially say that you are ok with incorrect headspace, out of spec bolts, bad barrels, and all the other issues, I have personally seen from PSA, because we are not going into combat? Well ok then. Knock yourself out.

I'll keep building them, so I can ensure things are within spec, and the AR will perform how it is supposed to.

EDIT:
    Taking a shot like that at the resident GS, isn't really a smart thing to do, I learned that lesson a long time ago. The man knows AR's and is very open with his findings, if you were to ask

What did NB say that was even slightly a jab at Chad?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The OP asked a simple question and by the 5th response, the PSA bashing had already started. In typical MDS fashion, the thread went like this...
    "I have a question about ________ with my PSA"
    "Bad mags?"
    "Gas block?"
    "PSA sucks"
    "Try different ammo"
    "PSA is garbage"
    "I like all the PSA's I own"
    "PSA voted for Hillary"

He's been on here for 9 months, he knew what would happen. :lol2:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    He's been on here for 9 months, he knew what would happen. :lol2:

at it again I say...
    tenor.jpg

some have thicker skin than others...

oh and the brass thing...
    "Depending on the ammo, that is normal. On the AR-15, XM193 and M855 generally eject to the 1:30-2 O'Clock position"
    yep....

then shoot a HK / G3 (build) if ya don't get-em with the bullet you'll get with the cases..:D:D

-Rock

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I do my best to make myself available to help people fix problem AR's. I don't see my posts as bashing, I am blunt about sharing my experience working on a LOT of AR's. Many of the people I have have helped have sent back their AR to the manufacturers. Some get no paperwork or comments on what was done. Some get back used barrels and BCG's as replacements, and many still have issues.

Anyone who has dealt with me knows I'm not a brand snob, and I put few companies on a pedestal.

Budget AR's can be made reliable if they are built the right way, sadly many are not.

Hey, I didn't say you were bashing. You gave examples of what you find wrong with the product.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey, I didn't say you were bashing. You gave examples of what you find wrong with the product.

No offense taken at all. I understand.

I moderate several AR based groups and what is going on here is a common theme.

I'll give an example:

1) Hi everyone, what does the hive think of this brand x AR or AR product? I am thinking about buying it.

What is meant 9 times out of 10: Hi everyone, I have already decided on what I want. I just want confirmation, even people with loads of experience won't sway my decision.

2) Hi everyone, I bought brand x AR or AR product and I am having problems. Can someone help me troubleshoot?

What is meant 9 times out of 10: Hi everyone, I love this product so don't degrade it. I'm going to ignore the technical advice of the guy who has worked on tens of thousands of AR's, but happily follow the advice of the threads biggest idiot.

In my experience most gun owners "marry" their gun or accessory choices and take offense when others critique the product as if a family member has been insulted.

I used to get offended but I just chuckle now at the people who think they know what they don't know. One day they will wake up, or they will just die stupid

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Hesitant to even post this but figured this is as good a place as any. May serve to caution others who wouldn't normally check.

What you see below is a BCG "closed" on a .300 blk go gauge. I'll contact PSA and, based on what I've read from others, I'm sure they'll make it right.

FWIW, the Grendel upper I bought was gtg....

Attachments

• IMG_20181202_134028.jpg
      IMG_20181202_134028.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 73

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hesitant to even post this but figured this is as good a place as any. May serve to caution others who wouldn't normally check.

What you see below is a BCG "closed" on a .300 blk go gauge. I'll contact PSA and, based on what I've read from others, I'm sure they'll make it right.

FWIW, the Grendel upper I bought was gtg....

Sorry to see you are having issues.

Have you tried other bolts to isolate the issue? Sometimes it's the bolts fault.

I have been seeing this often, but for some reason people just refuse to hear it.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Sorry to see you are having issues.

Have you tried other bolts to isolate the issue? Sometimes it's the bolts fault.

I have been seeing this often, but for some reason people just refuse to hear it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try another bolt. Interestingly, the bolt that won't close on the go gauge will close on a round of 300blk. I would think that wouldn't be the case. Round didn't want to leave the chamber afterwards, however.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try another bolt. Interestingly, the bolt that won't close on the go gauge will close on a round of 300blk. I would think that wouldn't be the case. Round didn't want to leave the chamber afterwards, however.

You probably know all of the material below, but I'll post for the onlookers to read.

Headspace gauges are supposed to be used on a room temperature weapon.

The gauge takes into account the variables one would see in commercially produced ammunition.

The "go" gauge takes into account how tolerances change as the barrel and bolt heat up, as well as taking account for fouling.

It is possible for a gun that won't close on a GO to chamber and fire some ammo safely, but it likely won't continue working once the gun is fouled or hot.

Tight headspace will cause cycling and extraction problems that mimmick undergassing. It will also cause poor accuracy. It can also cause primers to pop and jam the weapon.

The issue you mentioned with hard extraction of a live round is a tell tale sign of short headspace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom