• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Ok so i am looking at my first AR build and see all kindas of the uppers that i want (Dissipator) but most are 1:9 and only a few in the 1:7. Mist of my ammo will be 69 or 55 grain rounds. Whats the upper limits for the 1:9 twist barrels? Thanks

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Ok so i am looking at my first AR build and see all kindas of the uppers that i want (Dissipator) but most are 1:9 and only a few in the 1:7. Mist of my ammo will be 69 or 55 grain rounds. Whats the upper limits for the 1:9 twist barrels? Thanks

The question is whether or not the advertised 1:9 is really 1:9 or is it closer to 1:8.5 or 1:9:5. One of my guns w/ a 1:9 will stabilize 75gr bullets just fine while another won't stabilize 69gr.

If you're only shooting 55gr and 62 gr bullets 1:9 will serve you just fine.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    The length of your barrel matters too. A shorter barrel will require lighter rounds in order to obtain optimal accuracy. A longer barrel likes heavier bullets.

For the 1:7 twist, I would recommend: SBR = 55gr, M4 = 62gr, SPR = 75gr.

I'm a 1:7 twist guy, so I can't say much about 1:9 twist. However, barrel length matters when trying to achieve optimal performance.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Generally speaking, 69gr at best for 1:9. Get the 1:7. You'll be glad you did, more so as time passes, especially if you like/prefer 69gr rounds.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Well, I don't exactly HAVER a preference yet, as this is my first AR. My goal is to build it from the ground up. My paperwork just came back today for my lower, so tomorrow I need to go and pickit up and start building. The upper is what is killing me in making a decision. Right now, it seems to be leaning towards Palmetto State Armory:

Barrel length 16"
    Hammer Forged Barrel
    Machine Gun Steel
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist
    Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
    A2 profile
    Mid length gas system
    M4 feedramps
    Forged upper
    T-marks
    Full auto bolt carrier
    Carpenter 158 Bolt

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...sa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-dissipator.html

dissipator_blk.jpg

diss_mid_chf.jpg

All-in-all this seems to be a great setup for me, especially being new to building the black guns. Is there a downside to the 1:7 when shooting a 55 grain round?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That PSA setup is very nice.

1:9 tends to be ideal for 40gr to 65gr. 1:7 tends to be ideal for 55gr to 80gr. Outside those bullet weight ranges for a given twist rate, the bullet may tend to tumble. There is also 1:8. It's a matter of what bullet weight(s) you prefer.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't read too much into my experience, but with both of my 1:9's I've run 40gr to 75gr with acceptable accuracy - not tearing one ragged hole, but printing nicely.

The main issue I've come across with the heavy match rounds is having to load them one at a time, since they were too long for magazine duty.

The 1:7 Dissy from PSA should suit you just fine, 55's should prove to be no issue.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    The main issue I've come across with the heavy match rounds is having to load them one at a time, since they were too long for magazine duty.

Either you have non-GI mags or you're trying to stuff 75 A-Maxes into them. Black Hills 75 BTHP's will fit GI mags as will handloaded Hornady 75 BTHP's. 75 A-Maxes will not fit into any mags.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    You can shoot a bullet with a shorter ogive, 69 gr for short (200 yd) and mid (300 yd) distances and save the longer heavier bullets (75 gr+) for longer distances (600 yds) when you're likely to be shooting slow fire anyway.

BTW... thanks for the link... lots of useful info!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Either you have non-GI mags or you're trying to stuff 75 A-Maxes into them. Black Hills 75 BTHP's will fit GI mags as will handloaded Hornady 75 BTHP's. 75 A-Maxes will not fit into any mags.

It was the A-max rounds, found out the hard way - as I normally do. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom