• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SC to MD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2016
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for National Reciprocity, but on a forum where we have the smartest members, bar none, I don't think doing a little research and then comporting yourself in such a manner as to be legal when traveling is too high a hurdle. YMMV

When you travel to two or three states, that is great.

One trip this year I went to six new states... I read and printed the stuff. Wait, my FL license does not work here and here... what are their laws? Wait, do they have a city or county law I need to be concerned about since my license won't work there? What about if I stop for food or lodging? Crap? Let me get out Excel and diagram all of this....

Yes, I read, read and do more reading... to the point where it might be easier to just leave the damn guns at home.

Let me tell you, one sheet of paper you misinterpret and off you go to the slammer, shot by the police, or paying fines/lawyer fees (maybe all three).

Being smart helps, but yes, this all should be a bit easier. This is not as easy as you state... not by a long shot (if you do a lot of traveling that is...).

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    I'm seeing the same thing... Language appears to be:

1) a license or permit issued to the law of a State

OR

2) is entitled to carry in the state they reside (e.g. VT, AZ, etc. con carry state residents)

... the first provision you can carry on doesn't appear to have any specific residency requirements.

I would imagine it wouldn't take long for the case to be made that "Your Honor, based on my background check I am entitled to carry EXCEPT for that pesky permit that (a) does not entitle carry, only documents it, and (b) is not issued to people of my county, anyway.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I read a few pages back about magazine limits could be a problem, my question is say you have limo tint on your Windows that are legal in your state but you travel to another state where it is illegal, can you get a ticket for the tint?

Nobody

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I read a few pages back about magazine limits could be a problem, my question is say you have limo tint on your Windows that are legal in your state but you travel to another state where it is illegal, can you get a ticket for the tint?

Nobody

No different than if you make a right turn on red in a state that doesn't allow right turns on red.

Chauchat

Jan 16, 2014
    In the free States
    This bill is the same as the 2015 bill. Hudson's bill will not create the reciprocity everyone desires. So called National Reciprocity, as invisioned by the misguided, can only be obtained through the unconstitutional misapplication of the entire gun control act and its amendments to include this bill should it become a public law. The devil is in the "definitions". It only creates reciprocity between the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States. This per the GCA of 1968, 18 USC 921a2 and the United States Constistitution.

The reciprocity that is desired will have to be found in the fifty State legislatures.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/html/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec921.htm

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This bill is the same as the 2015 bill. Hudson's bill will not create the reciprocity everyone desires. So called National Reciprocity, as invisioned by the misguided, can only be obtained through the unconstitutional misapplication of the entire gun control act and its amendments to include this bill should it become a public law. The devil is in the "definitions". It only creates reciprocity between the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States. This per the GCA of 1968, 18 USC 921a2 and the United States Constistitution.

The reciprocity that is desired will have to be found in the fifty State legislatures.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/html/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec921.htm

6j6t9iT.gif

Rep. Richard Hudson, R-North Carolina, says he is preparing legislation that would allow those with concealed carry permits in their state to cross state lines.

According to the Daily Caller, Hudson's legislation would allow people with a state-issued concealed carry license to carry a handgun to any other state that allows concealed carry if the person is not banned from possessing or transporting a firearm by federal law.

Hudson said he planned on introducing the legislation, called the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, during the next Congress. He introduced a similar bill in 2015.
    “As a member of President-elect Trump’s Second Amendment Coalition, I look forward to working with the administration to advance policies that support and protect our right to keep and bear arms,” Hudson told the Daily Caller.

- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...nal-concealed-carry-bill#sthash.9zOBeeVj.dpuf

Respectfully, no.

Interesting screen name though, possibly the worst French rifle ever made....

Chauchat

Jan 16, 2014
    In the free States
    Thank you for the compliment on the screen name. I like the firearm because of its success as a machine gun in the Great war.

The legal term State is defined. In this Congressional Statute the Congress has decalred the District is a "State". Puerto Rico is a State. The possessions is a State. The congress has no authority to enact statutes that do not fall within their delegated area of authority. If they have the authority to make law outside the fences of Fort Meade or Andrews AFB then there would be no need for the ninth and tenth amendments to the Constitution. And we all know how gun folks are always yelling about States Rights.

It matters not what a politician yammers about in a news article because at the end of the day it is only what is compliant with the Constitution that counts.

Just call me a Cassandra

Oh and a very Happy New Year to you and yours.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thank you for the compliment on the screen name. I like the firearm because of its success as a machine gun in the Great war.

If you say so.....

The muddy trenches of northern France exposed a number of weaknesses in the Chauchat's design. Construction had been simplified to facilitate mass production, resulting in low quality of many metal parts. The magazines in particular were the cause of about 75% of the stoppages or cessations of fire; they were made of thin metal and open on one side, allowing for the entry of mud and dust. The weapon also ceased to function when overheated, the barrel sleeve remaining in the retracted position until the gun had cooled off. Consequently, in September 1918, barely two months before the Armistice of November 11, the A.E.F. in France had already initiated the process of replacing the Chauchat with the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle. Shortly after World War I, the French army replaced the Chauchat with the new gas-operated Mle 1924 light machine gun.

And

While rate of fire restrictions (250 rounds/minute) made the gun manageable in its 8mm Lebel version, the U.S. .30-06 version fired more powerful cartridges that exacerbated the problems of overheating. Furthermore, the 18,000 Chauchats in .30-06 caliber delivered to the A.E.F. were not conversions of the French model. Rather, they were newly manufactured guns which had been delivered directly to the A.E.F. by the Gladiator factory. As documented from the original American and French military archives, most of these Mle 1918 Chauchats in .30-06 were flawed from the beginning due to incomplete chamber reaming and other dimensional defects acquired during the manufacturing process at the Gladiator factory. Very few .30-06 Chauchats reached the front lines of northern France; however, when they did, it was reportedly not uncommon for U.S. units to simply discard their Chauchats in favor of M1903 Springfield rifles and cease to function as an auto-rifle squad altogether.

And then there is this

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/9/17/that-damned-jammed-chauchat/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Famous or notable firearms often have little to do with their design quality, or their relative qualities as firearms of their respective genre. They gain their notability for being somewhat functional at a particular time and place where they were useful. Would the French been even more pleased by a like number of Maxims in 8mm ? Probably, but plenty of Germans in the trenches were done in by Chauchats.

And to be fair they saw far more use by the French in 8mm Lebel, than the made for the US versions. A more recent US centric example was the M60 . A best it was flawed, and in most applications an FN MAG or M1919 would have been better. But the M60 was fondly thought of because it was a belt feed 7.62x51 when it was a binary choice of M60 or not having a belt feed 7.62 .

As to the legal authority arguments;
    I get what he's saying, in in the abstract it would be great to have such an environment. But a view of states vs federalism has left the station a long time ago .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm sure that right up until the time that it jammed or the barrel overheated that it did some damage, but everything I've read says that it was pretty much a complete POS. Of course I will defer to your first hand knowledge.....;)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Lets pass this bill into law to see whats in it!
    ;)

This isn't needed. The only thing that needs to be done is for Congress to pass a law defunding any state that infringes....period...As written this law will not affect Maryland's "May Issue" status and the state will not be forced to recognize the permit of any other state. Threaten to defund the state unless they remove all infringement is the way to go..

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Not pefect by a long shot, but will prevent any 10A state challenges, like Frosh would certainly bring.

The day Frosh brings a successful 10a challenge is the day the entire liberal agenda fails... The entire Federal regulatory state upon which they rely would fall.

And if the challenge failed... Because 2a is fundamental and Incorporated under 14a. The decision will still be the basis for taking out the liberal agenda. Since it would open up a major new set of challenges to federal power.

Just like Chicago caved to avoid the risk of a binding loss at SCOTUS. There is no upside for a liberal to try a 10a challenge..

Esp since it's easy to use the well worn model of bribery to avoid the issue.

Just link federal funds to compliance with CCW reciprocity and it's done...

Those who say we should play hardball.... Should look at how we got here and learn respond in kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom