Legality of transferring firearm with Hi-cap mags (MD workaround)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Per ATF guidance on magazines, which MSP generally defers to when they aren't codified by MD Law, no they are not magazines. A magazine holds and feeds ammunition to a semi auto gun. If it can't do that its not a magazine.
    I was wondering how those "parts kit" websites were getting around Maryland law. I didn't want to be on a list so I just pick my mags up in Virginia or Pennsylvania when I am working in the area.

Boss

Oct 25, 2016
    No one has referenced the specific wording yet, so here it is:

"(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

If you made arrangements while in Maryland, for example over the phone, that would be considered offering for sale. To be legal you would need to offer for sale and receive the money, and hand over the magazine while in another state like Virginia where there is no capacity limits. Depending on where you live, drive over the boarder and make the call or find a coffee shop with wifi to send an email.

Now if you have already offered for sale within the state, be smart and don't go through with the sale.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sounds just like MSP, warning you not to violate a law that doesn't exist and they can't enforce (out of state transfer specifically).

The law states you may not OFFER them for sale within state.

So the law DOES exist.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is a disassembled magazine sold as parts still a magazine?

There is at least one IP here on MDS that will sell you a magazine parts kit. In most cases, only the floor plate has been removed.

It would be illegal to final assemble that parts kit in MD.

Good news is, my office is in VA. :)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    If one wanted to sell a firearm that originally came with mags that hold more than 10 rounds ( ie. purchased before the restriction to sell/transfer mags over 10 rds. in MD)--Is it legal to sell the firearm, less magazines to a buyer in MD and meet the buyer out of state and transfer the magazines to them outside of MD?
    Your thoughts?

Always useful to have the actual language of the statute at hand. Here the ban on standard capacity magazines is in MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-305, which states:
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Note that "possess" is not among the unlawful activities. But as others have noted, "offer for sale" is. So, an "offer for sale" within MD would be banned, even though the sale is actually fully consummated by a transfer or receipt outside of MD. The meaning of "offer" is pretty plain. Conviction under this section is penalized under MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-306, which states "(a) A person who violates this subtitle is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both." That's a lifetime disqualifier under federal law.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Is a disassembled magazine sold as parts still a magazine?

Maybe, maybe not, but once you have assembled those parts into a magazine with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds, you have probably "manufactured" the magazine in MD.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Note that "possess" is not among the unlawful activities. But as others have noted, "offer for sale" is. So, an "offer for sale" within MD would be banned, even though the sale is actually fully consummated by a transfer or receipt outside of MD. The meaning of "offer" is pretty plain. Conviction under this section is penalized under MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-306, which states "(a) A person who violates this subtitle is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both." That's a lifetime disqualifier under federal law.

I'm not disagreeing with your reading and interpretation of the law in any way, I just want to ask out of curiosity: how can Maryland enforce what seems to be a law restricting interstate commerce?

Meaning the part about the offer, if the offer is to sell and transfer the magazines in another (where the sale, possession, transfer is legal) state.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'm not disagreeing with your reading and interpretation of the law in any way, I just want to ask out of curiosity: how can Maryland enforce what seems to be a law restricting interstate commerce?

Meaning the part about the offer, if the offer is to sell and transfer the magazines in another (where the sale, possession, transfer is legal) state.

The "offer" takes place in MD, so MD's writ reaches that far. As for interstate commerce, where (as here) the state law does not directly conflict with a federal law, the inquiry is under the dormant Commerce Clause doctrine. The dormant Commerce Clause precludes states from enacting “regulatory measures designed to benefit in-state economic interests by burdening out of state competitors.” Dep't of Revenue v. Davis, 553 U.S. 328, 338 (2008) (quoting New Energy Co. of Ind. v. Limbach, 486 U.S. 269, 273–74 (1988)). There is no suggestion that this state statute does that, as the bans fully apply to in state economic interests. A more recent analysis is in Comptroller of Treasury of Maryland v. Wynne,135 S.Ct. 1787 (2015), where the SCT struck down Maryland law that permitted assessment by state comptroller of county income tax without a credit for payment of out-of-state income taxes. That ruling is part of the reason that Montgomery County has cited for raising property taxes by 9%. So, in this coming election, I will be voting against every incumbent on the County Council who voted for that increase.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Hot gun a section of wooden dow rod in the bottom of the magazine to allow only 10 rounds. This is a legal way to make it a 10 round magazine. Removing said dow rod within MD would probably be considered manufacturing, however if I were to go the VA or PA and remove said rod, it would be legal.
    This, end of thread. I bought my gen 4 G19 with three 15 round mags earlier this year from a very popular MDS IP here with the dowel rod sections in them, limiting them to 10 rounds. It is legal. You must however drive out of state to remove the dowel rods. :innocent0

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So do not assemble them in MD.

That may be one way. That assumes, of course, that the parts don't make a mag until they are assembled and hence were not sold or received as a mag when sold as disassembled parts. That question has not been answered definitely by any controlling case law. So, if it were me, I would not assume that. In any event, the legally safest way to avoid these uncertainties is just go out of MD and buy your mags there already fully assembled. That has the benefit, of course, of ensuring that an essential part of the firearm has been assembled in the factory by people who are paid to assemble them properly on an assembly line constructed for that purpose. We have all have had magazines malfunction. That can be rather fatal in the wrong circumstances. As a rule, I don't do the original assembly of my mags just as I don't skimp on mags. Heck, I often throw away the factory mags and buy Wilson Combat mags or something compatible.

Last edited:

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Couldn't one argue that there is a difference in assembly and manufacture? I see manufacture as taking raw material and transforming it into some finished product. Assembly is taking a group of already manufactured parts and forming them into something else. There is nothing about assembly in the statute.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Couldn't one argue that there is a difference in assembly and manufacture? I see manufacture as taking raw material and transforming it into some finished product. Assembly is taking a group of already manufactured parts and forming them into something else. There is nothing about assembly in the statute.

Yes, you could argue it. IIRC, "manufacture" is not a defined term in the statute. In such cases the courts will often look to Blacks Law Dictionary or Websters Dictionary. And you might even win on that theory, just as Chow won in Chow v. State in arguing that "transfer" meant a change in ownership, rather than a loan. Of course, Chow lost on that argument at trial and at the intermediate court of appeals, prevailing only on a discretionary petition for cert at MD's highest court. In the meantime, he was convicted and thus became a prohibited person. So, anyone out there want to be a test case on this (it will cost $100,000 plus in fees plus years of your life, plus you bear the risk of losing and thus losing all your firearms for life)? Or would you rather just mosey across the state line and buy all the mags you ever need or want for a tiny fraction of that amount?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The statute says "Offer to sell", what about selling the firearm in state, stating mags not included. Then saying something like, magazines can be discussed and/or transferred once out of MD. I am just wondering the best language to use so you don't run south of the law if you are willing to go to PA/Va/ insert state here and transfer the mags to the buyer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The statute says "Offer to sell", what about selling the firearm in state, stating mags not included. Then saying something like, magazines can be discussed and/or transferred once out of MD. I am just wondering the best language to use so you don't run south of the law if you are willing to go to PA/Va/ insert state here and transfer the mags to the buyer.

Hmm.

The law says "offer to sell."

So you offer to sell the firearm, mags not included. Then you offer to GIVE them the mags, outside the state.

Not sold, nothing given for the mags.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I think that the proper answer for this forum (since who knows who is reading it) is that there is no "workaround" for this scenario as stated in the OP. If we don't watch it, a total ban on over 10 rounds may be next.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    After posting the above a quick check showed 10 members and 77 guests reading the Maryland 2A section. At times we are our own worst enemy.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    After posting the above a quick check showed 10 members and 77 guests reading the Maryland 2A section. At times we are our own worst enemy.

Tinfoil. Many people cannot completely sign-in while at work therefore during the day they show up as guests when viewing MDshooters

Others never sign in unless they're going to post

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom