• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Another federal agency, the DOT, considers 'goodwill' to be something of value. As a result, they will crush anyone who receives 'goodwill' in exchange for use of an aircraft without having all the right pieces of paperwork issued by the government.

Are you serious? I cannot help but smile and laugh, versus cry. Three felonies a day, as esqappellate linked to. Just utterly incredible.

I think we can agree though, that while "friendship" is priceless, right now they have not quantified it as an intangible asset.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    When the list is typed up and put into an envelope, it certainly has physical exisitance, unlike goodwill or a promise not to compete.

Think it is still considered an intangible. I don't think the form of it matters. Whether it is a physical list or a spreadsheet on a flash drive, it is still an intangible in the accounting world. Guessing it was considered an intangible before the invention of computers, or at least the widespread use of computers.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Bender,

PLEASE don't think I am judging you, or your family, I just don't trust the legal system as it applies to firearms in MD. I don't want to see you or your family in trouble for doing the "right" thing when thugs somehow get off Everytime.

I would love every thug to think they will get lead poisoning in 230grain doses when they attempt to harm innocent folks who just want to live out their lives, but in MD they know they have the upper hand.

Haha, no worries. Honestly, it was a stupid idea to begin with, thinking about it now. I think I'll either gift him cash for a long gun, or convince him to get his HQL.

Nice, isn't it? Being automatically treated like a potential criminal and second-class citizen for invoking a fundamental human right? Not to mention, God forbid, wanting to protect friends and family. :P

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Are you serious? I cannot help but smile and laugh, versus cry. Three felonies a day, as esqappellate linked to. Just utterly incredible.

As much bad administrative law, this one was created after some staff attorney had to bend the meaning of the law in order to catch someone who was 'getting away with something'. The bad ruling was subsequently affirmed by successive levels in the buerocracy. As the courts give near complete deference to the agencies in the interpretation of their own regulations, the only way to fix this is through congressional action.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In addition to the unknown laws people inadvertently break many so called "Law Abiding" citizens regularly break the law intentionally when it inconveniences them. For example those who don't like drivers doing the speed limit in the left lane or complain when they are ticketed because they were caught in a "speed trap" or by an enforcement camera.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    According to the Abramski decision, there is no requirement for the eventual recipient to be prohibited. It is the purchasing the firearm for someone else yet marking 'are you the recipient' that makes it a straw purchase.

Yes, it's stupid. And Obamacare is a tax.

is either prohibited or is attempting to conceal their purchase (no NICS on them)

I said that.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I said that.

What you said is not necessary as an element of a straw purchase. Abramski didn't make any attempt to conceal from the .gov who the recipient of the gun is. The transfer to his uncle was through a FFL.

That's the tragedy of this case, they tried to do it right and it backfired.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    What you said is not necessary as an element of a straw purchase. Abramski didn't make any attempt to conceal from the .gov who the recipient of the gun is. The transfer to his uncle was through a FFL.

Yep. Both Abramski and his uncle did a NICS check. However, because Abramski answered that the firearm was for him, when it clearly was not, it was considered a straw purchase. They should change the Form 4473 to ask "Are you buying this firearm on behalf of somebody else so they can get your discount, and then transferring the firearm to him through a FFL?"

Just a ridiculous outcome for that case, and this is something that should trouble us way more than who is going to be the next POTUS. When the laws are so convoluted that a person can be found guilty of a straw purchase, when most of us would see no harm done whatsoever by Abramski. This is the kind of stuff that scares me to death. Going to prison on some little paperwork technicality.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No, according to BATFE what I stated IS an element of a straw purchase.

But I did state the NICS check, which I did not intend to be ONLY from the gov. Any attempt to conceal the actual purchaser is a straw purchase.

Hmm, tried to the right thing? But defrauding the company by buying for a non-LEO at LEO pricing?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yep. Both Abramski and his uncle did a NICS check. However, because Abramski answered that the firearm was for him, when it clearly was not, it was considered a straw purchase. They should change the Form 4473 to ask "Are you buying this firearm on behalf of somebody else so they can get your discount, and then transferring the firearm to him through a FFL?"

Just a ridiculous outcome for that case, and this is something that should trouble us way more than who is going to be the next POTUS. When the laws are so convoluted that a person can be found guilty of a straw purchase, when most of us would see no harm done whatsoever by Abramski. This is the kind of stuff that scares me to death. Going to prison on some little paperwork technicality.

If his uncle has paid him for the pistol AFTER he bought it, it probably would not have been a straw purchase. But he paid BEFORE, so he was the actual purchaser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom