Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM #1

Gun Free School Zone Act Passage

Folks, Not sure how many of you understand just how badly you can be screwed by the Gun Free School Zone Act 0f 1995 but you all should be aware of it particularly if you have an out of state permit or are a resident of a free state.

Just as important is to be aware of HOW we got screwed and WHO screwed us so here's a brief synopsis of how the bill got passed and links at the bottom to the final votes in the House and Senate.

That bill was sponsored by Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.). The bill ultimately got included in an appropriations bill and was passed as part of H.R. 3610: Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act, 1997 which a steamy pile of turd big gov RINO's (and Dems) voted for including Sen Judd Gregg, Lieberman, McCain, Lugar, Grassley, McConnell, Snowe, Mikulski, Lott, Reid, Domenici. Inhofe, Santorum and other familiar names.

How any of these people have good ratings from the NRA is beyond comprehension.....unless the NRA didn't oppose the bill

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=62

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h104-3610

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s1996-200

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h1996-247

Edit ("And Dems" added to make Mark happy)

If nobody wants a 'civil disturbance,' why in heck don't they quit disturbing us?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
jpk1md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:34 AM #2

Aren't Reid and Mikulski Democrats rather than RINO?
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:35 AM #3

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

I'm going to give this a stick for the time being because it's a topic that affects gun owners regardless of where they live or travel.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
I'm going to give this a stick for the time being because it's a topic that affects gun owners regardless of where they live or travel.
Can I request that the thread be treated as a reference instead of a three ring circus and that posts that have little or nothing to do with GFSZA be deleted with extreme predjudice?

If nobody wants a 'civil disturbance,' why in heck don't they quit disturbing us?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
jpk1md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:49 AM #5
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

But, but, but ...

"It's for the children" ... I hear ya "Mr. and Mrs. Progressive", but let's see how effective it's been.

School shootings 1995 to 2005

School Shootings

The School Shootings Report

Quote:
School shootings are not a simple issue with a single solution. This violence is rooted in psychological imbalances within the students themselves, poor parenting and a decay in significance of traditional institutions along with the guilt forces they rely on for effectiveness - to name a just a few.

I guess assault and robbery is ok every now and then but a shooting isn’t, or perhaps it’s just because the news media has picked up on it in a thinly veiled effort to extenuate a gun control agenda? The last one seems the most likely because gang violence using guns, knives and clubs is so common in urban areas that it doesn’t even illicit news coverage, but it is certainly no less deadly.
The MONEY quote ...

Proverbs 17:27-28

NRA Life Member
GOA Member, NAGR Member
SAF Life Member, JPFO Member
NSSF Member, MSRPA Member
MSI Executive Member
MD Designated Collector, Utah CCW

The Patriot Picket
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo
EL1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:25 AM #6

OP link #1, page not found
Braxtonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM #7
Master Blaster

Master Blaster

Quote:
Discipline Definitions: This statute makes it a federal crime to possess a gun within 1000 feet of
any school—public, private, or parochial. Punishment for violations of this criminal law may be
up to five years imprisonment and up to $5000 fine. (18 U.S.C. Sec. 924 (a)(4)).
Quote:
The Gun Free School Zone Act of 1995, as an amendment to Title 18 of the U.S. Code. The amendment ensures that the
prohibitions against guns in school zones have the requisite nexus with interstate or foreign
commerce. Language in this legislation, similar to the original act of 1990, states “It shall be
unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm…at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.” The legislation further states “…it
shall be unlawful for any person…to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm…at a place that
the person knows is a school zone.”
So, is this saying that if I am legally CCWing and I am pulled over for some reason and it happens to be on a road that travels through a school zone, and the stop is within that zone, I can be charged with a felony under this act, even though I had no intent to enter the school grounds?

A thousand feet parameter around every school would make it damn near impossible to CCW legally while on the road.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:10 PM #8
R.I.P.- Hooligan #4

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4

This is just wrong. Any gun free zone is free game for criminals.
Mooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:25 PM #9

I purchased a gun last sunday and waiting for it. But here is my question, I live more or less 1000 feet from a school. Am I not allowed to have it at home and carry to shooting range? if so I am screwed for $250 bucks that I did put as advance.
suptier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:45 PM #10

I also live within that 1000 feet from a school.
RAJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues