• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The "cooling off" period is only on regulated purchases, is it not? I can go to Wally World and buy "Hunting" shotguns/rifles all week long.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Maryland does NOT have a "cooling off period". The 8th day release is to provide time for snail mail applications to be received by MSP. It does not apply to non-regulated guns.

It is a carry-over from a pre electronic communications time.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Connecticut has a 10 day "cooling off period" for all firearms. The "cooling off period" is waived if you have a current CT hunting license or CT concealed carry permit.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I did not know about this case. It's interesting and, in a way, disappointing. Until now, the SAF always seemed to me very smart in picking its battles. This case seems a much closer call than others it has filed. While the analogies are not perfect, I can think of several contexts in which waiting periods/delays for constiutitonal rights have been approved by courts, including marraige licenses, registering to vote, abortion, demonstration/protest permits, etc... While there are (in my view) substantial arguments that the RTKBA is distinguishable from these, but I am not overly optimistic as I was with Heller and am with Wollard. Given the number of other more burdensome restrictions out there, I would think that te SAF's limited resources are better spent elsewhere.

That said, good luck to the SAF and CalGuns!

Its not about waiting periods its about the standard of review.
    The state must make a case. Even RB is strained when they want waiting periods for existing gun. Owners.

We want the states briefs on this .. they will be useful elsewhere.

Even a loss here will help force the opositions hand.

How we lose is important even if we do. I see deep strategy at work here.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Attachments

• emeril-bam-i1.gif
      emeril-bam-i1.gif
      23.1 KB · Views: 424

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Correct ...

this did not actually strike the law as I read it, it merely denied a motion to dismiss the lawsuit. Trial to follow?

Thus my Emeril graphic "Kick it up a notch". But the Judge's opinion was pretty damning, so unless Harris changes her tune going forward (which she probably will) it bodes well for the final outcome.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Now apply the same logic in a state where a 12ga shotgun is just a 4473 & NICS and an HQL isn't an exemption from a waiting period. :innocent0

DavidMS

Feb 23, 2013
    Fairfax VA
    It may help us

Regardless of the outcome, its pretty clear that the case for a 10 day waiting period for someone already possessing a firearm is weak. The question to me is how to attack the unconstitutional law. If Harris looses, the HQL regulatory regime becomes much harder to defend. Even though precedents set in this case won't apply to MD unless its appealed to the Supreme Court, the arguments will be useful to us.

Regardless of the outcome, it builds on the body of law regarding the 2nd amendment which for us is a good thing because it makes future cases easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom