• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    We all know the drill about VA shows and PA shows, :

Sorry, I don't know the drill - what's the story on VA & PA shows? I've only been to one here in MD. I was thinking about the York one coming up - what should I know?

Unit3960

Feb 11, 2011
    Harford Co. MD
    So what I am gathering here is I should save my gas and money by not attending the York show that I was planning on going to next weekend. And spend it all online? It's been a while since I visited any gun shows and was looking forward to going to teh one in York since I missed the one in Bel Air. Sum Bitch. :(

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    So what I am gathering here is I should save my gas and money by not attending the York show that I was planning on going to next weekend. And spend it all online? It's been a while since I visited any gun shows and was looking forward to going to teh one in York since I missed the one in Bel Air. Sum Bitch. :(

Quite the opposite I think. I've always foung the York show to be pretty good.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    been to the york and harrisburg shows many times , they are both better then md shows as long as your not looking for a regulated firearm. no complaints with them normally have everything im looking for and more at decent prices . and lots of ww2 surplus knives , gear ect. just get there early to beat the lines to get in .

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I've gotta say, shows tend to tick me off too - for some reason ESPECIALLY here in MD.

Same dealers 99% of the time, with the same crap, and nothing resembling a deal from the overwhelming majority of them.

Examples: Some guy had a .50-cal can sitting on his table, with what he claimed was 1,000 rounds of **LOOSE** 7.62x39 steel/laquer HP ammo in it, marked $250. The very next table had Wolf POLYMER HP for $199/case.

I'm going to put the ammo on strippers as soon as I get it home - so I don't care if it's in boxes or not. OTOH, I don't know what this stuff is vs. Wolf which I know runs like clockwork in my guns - so it came down to the can.

I told him straight up: "Look -- they're selling 1,000 rounds right there for $200 (really $199). No offense, but I have only your word that there's 1000 in the can, and no way to know what it is - but then I'd rather HAVE the ammo-can instead of a bunch of boxes to throw away. Here's $200 (show cash) if you'll take it for the can of ammo."

He said "No - I've got to have $250 for it!" Fine -- it's still sitting there, too, as I bought the case of Wolf for my $200... Wonder how many shows he's hauled it in and out of by now?

Another guy had the brass-cased Yugo for $289/1260-rounds -- those "mepat" rounds in 15-round boxes. I said "I'll take 2 cans if you have 'em!" "That guy in line in front of you just bought my last can." DA*N-IT!!!!

So I look, and he's got 25 boxes left in an open can. I break out the calculator app, and do the math -- 1260 /15 per box == 84 boxes. $289 / 84 == $3.44 per box * 25 boxes == $86.01.

"Hey - if you'll take $86 I'll buy all these here 25 that you have left!"

"How'd you get $86?"

So I broke it down - 84 boxes in a case *3.44 per is $289 - your case-price. IOW when you sell a case you're getting $3.44 per box. 25 boxes @ $3.44 comes out to $86.01 -- IN other words I'm offering you the case-price per box - in cash - to take all you have left"

"Naaaa - I've got to get $4.50 a box for 'em."
    "But... you just sold that guy 84 of 'em at $3.44 per!"
    "Because HE bought a CASE!"
    "I'd gladly buy a case too, but you don't have one -- but I WILL take all you have and pay you that fraction of the case price for that fraction of a case!"
    "No. $4.50 a box" - with a tone as if I was trying to rip him off somehow. They're still sitting there.

As I was leaving, he was packing them up, and hadn't sold a single box - they were still sitting 8 rows, 3 high plus 1 open box - easy to see it was still 25 boxes!.

I couldn't resist - "HI again! Are you Sure you don't want to sell that instead of hauling it home?"
    "YOU AGAIN? I TOLD you $4.50 a box!"
    Okey-dokie!!

I did OK though - all in all. Got some milsurp 9x18 - 800 rounds for $80. I can't remember the last time I got 9x18 for $0.10 a round!

Same vendor had some 30round ALICE mag pouches for $1 each - I counted 'em out and bought all 8 - he pulled out a pile more and threw 'em on the table. Every other vendor wanted $5 for them!

Bought 1000 rounds of wolf for the sks/aks for $199, and a case of .223 for $209. I tried to talk him down to $400 for both but he said no - "That $9 is my profit -- but I'll eat the SALES TAX!"

Wouldn't give me an $8 discount but ate $25 in tax? "SURE!!!"

I'll buy from him again!

I paid $110 for an ATI Mini-14 stock and a tri-rail device. I could have bought online and probably saved $10 after shipping, but would rather keep somebody in business. That $110 was $20 off his marked price which he offered without my even prompting! He was moving a lot of merchandise!

Later, I came back around looking for .223 strippers to put my ammo on. I counted out $10 worth (100) and grabbed 5 "spoons" - with this and what I already have I plan to pack 5 bandoliers.

I paid, he got me a bag, and he threw another handfull of strippers and one more spoon in the bag before he gave it to me.

Sure - he could have made another $2-3 on what he gave me.
    MAYBE. SOMEday.
    But **HE** was smart enough to know that throwing $0.30 (his cost) in the bag for a guy who'd now spent $125 with him that day was smart business!

He was RIGHT!!

I went back again and asked him if he had a couple of other little items I was looking for. He said he DID, but not WITH him, asked if I'd be coming to Timonium, I said "probably." He named a price I approved, pulled out a ticket, wrote down what I wanted and his price, and said "I'll have it in a bag for you!"

I tried to stop him then -- "I don't want to make a promise like that - I'll just catch you there" and he said if I missed Timonium he'll just keep bringing it to the shows until I catch him.

**THAT** is SERVICE! and a man that knows how to run his business! Further, I don't need to keep searching for stuff - I know I'll get it at the next show I attend!

Other things I would have bought but the prices were just too high.

There's one vendor - gun dealer - that's at every single show. They have a store too. I bought a pistol from them years ago, had to go pick it up at the store.

I walk in the store, and there in the cabinet is the same damn gun -- marked $30 cheaper than the price I paid.

I couldn't help it -- I said something.

"Well - you agreed to the price" he said - which was right, but... Do you think I'll **EVER** buy another gun from him?

Before I bought the tri-rail thing, I needed (2) of them because I'm trying to install a strut under my Mini-14's bbl. He only had one. Another guy had something SIMILAR, but different. I needed to be sure they were the same height, so I asked if I could take it over to the next table to compare. "NO WAY!" he said. I offered him my tablet-computer to hold until I came back with his $20 part - he got pissy "I *SAID* **NO!!**" The other guy waived me off when I offered something to hold as collateral "I'm sure you'll be back!"

Which person do you think I bought the other pieces I needed from??!!

If you're selling surplus crap, and I'm buying a pile of it, or buying all of something that's obviously been there for a while, knocking ~10% off an item you've marked up by 100% is just common sense -- I can't understand these folks that would rather spend weeks to get that extra $5 instead of taking the $45 I was trying to give them right there!

One more thing I've noticed -- the guys that are most insane about their prices, or who get the pissyest if you try to bargain, **ALWAYS** complain about "I haven't sold anything all weekend - so I've **GOT** to get my asking price!"

**MAYBE**, the reason you haven't sold anything all weekend, is BECAUSE of your asking price! **MAYBE** - if you were nicer, or more willing to make a deal on something - you wouldn't be hauling it all home again and again and again and...!!

I've ranted too long, but to close by answering the questions...

I expect I should be able to buy any gun in a gun show cheaper than I can get it from any other local source. After all - in the store, you're stuck hoping people come in to look. At the show, you've got hundreds of people with CASH, looking for someplace to spend it. You *SHOULD* be able to make your money on volume, but at a minimum you shouldn't expect to be able to charge MORE for it!!

IN reality, you SHOULD be selling cheaper than - or at a minimum EQUAL TO - the online sources. Yes - I save shipping and transfer - but a MD dealer will still stick me with the MSP $10 fee, and doesn't have the labor of packing and shipping, dealing with the recipient FFL, etc. They're all paying about the same for wholesale - so any higher price is just gouging IMHO.

If you're an ammo dealer, you should be beating the online prices.

IF you're selling the same item as a guy at another table, and I'm buying that and other stuff he doesn't have too, you should be willing to match the other guy's price -- after all, if you don't then I'll buy it all from HIM!

Lastly, Mr. "$4.50 a box" will never - ever - see a dime of my money. Pissy vendors are the one case where I'll spend MORE money just to keep him from getting any of it! Not that it could really be a problem - most pissy-types are also the most expensive, and pissy because they're not making any sales! In other words, they're pissy becsuse they're also greedy and stupid!

+1 :thumbsup:

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Gun Shows Suck....

If you love going to Flea Markets,Antiquing,or dumpster diving :rolleyes:
    then you may like the Modern day Gun Show. Don't expect to get a deal unless you are looking for C&R items. To be fair I'm not interested in relics
    or collectable type firearms and what I want I can get smokin deals from internet dealers.

I went to the Harrisburg outdoor show and it was HORRIBLE.:mad54:
    The place was so crowded I have no clue how the Fire Marshall didn't close them down. I guess that show generates revenue for the community so they could care less about the publics safety.

I guess everyone had Cabin Fever and they all went to the Harrisburg Show.:innocent0

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Spot and Southern Boy have nailed it pretty well. Me, I have Gun Connection just down the road, friends that live out of state and will accept packages and a deep seated hatred for being packed in like cattle. Pretty sure I'm done with gun shows.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I go with "the guys". Its a hunting expedition far as i see it. We are on the hunt for a nice gun at a good deal. they are few and far between at almost every show now a days but i always seem to buy one. I think i have walked out of 5 shows without a gun out of about 20 shows. if i buy it its cause its a good deal and i wanted it. If its 10.00 more than i want to pay then you can keep it. Ill find another later. We always stop for lunch after the show and have a big lunch and BS some. Its just good to hang with the guys and enjoy life.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I mostly go to gun shows for the entertainment value. I'm not into C&R or knives and since I live in Maryland the VA, PA and Del shows are out for buying regulated weapons. I do like to look in case I see something that strikes my interest. I first saw the .22 caliber Colt M4 Ops at a show in York PA. None of the dealers knew if it was regulated since it was just out on the market. I was able to touch it there and came back to a local dealer and ordered one. I had to go back up to an Oaks PA show to get accessories. Same thing with hand guns. I like to look and check prices. I will buy ammo if I can get a deal at the show. I would rather pay cash and walk away then get on a list somewhere by ordering it on line.

The best shows I ever attended were back in 1999 – 2000 in Memphis TN. Talk about your gun show loop holes. Unfortunately my funds were tight at the time and I couldn’t take advantage of any of the deals. One of my co-workers that live in PA bought a used Mini 14 with two factory 30 rounder’s there for $300. There were dealers selling new Mini 14’s for $415. Cash and carry any model, Blued or Stainless. There were plenty of knives. Spring assisted, Automatics, folders. Prices overall were very good.

The worst thing about gun shows besides everything people list about the Maryland Shows is the price charged for admission. The TN shows were free to get in. The arena made enough selling tables to cover expenses. The Harrisburg Farm Show Arena rips you off further by charging an outrageous price for parking.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    My pop was looking at a Sig Sauer CP1. The price as marked was $170 plus tax and it was the last 20 minutes of the show. My dad asked "what's your best price?" by the time the guy got done dicking around to say "I can't do anything until my boss is back" I had pulled out my phone and found it FROM SIG for $130. I showed the vendor and he told me to have a nice day.

I was hoping to find mags...I did. Here...crossposted from another forum...$5 shipped and cheap repair kits. Vendors were selling beat to shit 30 rounders for $10...I can get new pmags for $2 more from Jobbob!

To answer your question:
    Something costs too much if it's cheaper somewhere else. DPMS LPK for $85? Go pound sand I can get it from a local B&M for $75 and I can get LPKs from aimsurplus for $60. As much as I like the noble notion of "keeping the local guy in business" in the end my job is to keep as much of my money as possible.

Your preaching to the choir on that one I am Resident Cheap A$$ I already new what to pay and what not to pay.

Don't change the facts of what others do.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I went to my first gun show in 10 years over the summer. I was disappointed yet again, but it was in town and we were bored. Mind you, it was a small show, but I think the only gun show I'd go to is the big one in VA. I'm not a gun show dude at all.

IcedC

Main Screen Turn On!
    Apr 3, 2008
    Setting up them the bomb!
    I go for the entertainment value and maybe an impulse buy.... Honestly I don't wanna pay an entrance fee to pay retail price, when the internet can have it on my door step in a few days, or I can stop in a store for free... Actually I don't even go looking to buy a gun, but I'll buy ammo all day if the price is right

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I usually go to a show with an item in mind that I'm looking for. I do some research before hand to find out a ballpark price. The thing I like most about shows is that it brings the dealers to one place, even if there are only 5 gun dealers there. I was still able to go to one place and browse their selection without wasting time and gas to travel to 5 different shops. Also, if several dealers have the same item, I can purchase from the dealer with the lower price. If I don't see anything I want I leave emtpy handed, sometimes you still get to see some cool stuff.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I want stuff I cant find in a local store for about what I would pay from the net.
    I simply do not crae that the vendor doesnt get my admission fee I figure it into the cost of what I'm buying.

If I pay $10.00 to get in and find a box of ammo for $50.00 then the ammo better be at least $10.00 cheaper than I can get it elsewhere. I understand that the vendors don't get the money but the vendors need to realize that the $10.00 comes out of the customers pocket no matter who gets it.

glockwerkes

Aug 16, 2010
    I think anyone who goes to a MD gun show looking for deals on firearms will be severely disappointed. Have I bought from shows over the years, yes. Will it happen again, probably not. Several years ago I was interested in a specific gun, had priced it at the local shop, so I went to the Timonium show looking for a deal. Wonder of wonders, the dealer I had planned to buy from was there, with the gun I was looking for. However, it was priced $50 over what I had seen it for in his shop the day before!

It was the last straw. It had been getting worse and worse at MD shows for years before, so I quit going to them. Yes, you can handle lots of models all in one place. Be prepared for the crappy attitudes and lack of service from many of the dealers because they think you're a tire kicker. Which is exactly what you are if you're doing more looking than buying, just don't be surprised.

I finally gave in and went to the York show. I was pleasantly surprised after all of my MD experiences. Guns and ammo were reasonably priced, imagine that.

Perhaps the best attitude is the poster who said treat it like entertainment, like going to the movies. I think he may be right. Pay your money up front, look at lots of cool stuff, and then go home empty handed.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Quite the opposite I think. I've always foung the York show to be pretty good.

+1:thumbsup:

I'll be there Saturday.

I generally buy stuff I can't find on the shelf at my local shop- 30 rounders, LPK's complete with a decent trigger, small parts like KNS pins, etc...

Things I can live without:

- Hitler memorabilia. Seriously, WTF?

- Beef Jerky. When did dried out cow become synonymous with gun shows?

- Jewelry sellers. Maybe they should have checked the sign out front. The only thing I've seen worse than jewelery is the guys selling purses at one Maryland gun show. Purses.

- Cheap, shitty (the flashlights, not the salesmen) flashlight salesmen. Usually Chinese (both salesmen and flashlights.)

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I go to look, very rarely buy anything. It's just something to do for a few hours.
    Gun prices in MD are just absurd compared to PA & VA shows.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Asking $150-200 for a mosin. $16+ for a box of 40S&W, when i can get at wally world for $13. handguns +100-150 over the price I can get online +ship+transfer for.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I go for the Mosins because I can see the condition and markings before buying.

Gun shows are mostly a relic with the internet. It is not the vendor's fault, but it is impossible to transport and sell retail ammo face to face at the same price as an online warehouse.

It is $12 to go look at what is new and old in guns.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    One thing that bothers me the most, and this has happened several times, is when a dealer will have his ammo, firearm or other item marked at a lower than normal price, I notice the price, pick it up to buy, then he states "sorry, thats an old price. Its X times more". I really lose respect for the gunshow circuit because of this. Come to think of it only once, after 20 years of shows, did a vendor say to me that he'll honor a price which he felt was too low. I actually bought that firearm. It was last weekend at the PG county show.
    This is why I typically haggle with vendors to get a lower price as their prices, most of the times, seem to be made up or pulled from their asses. I've lost respect for the typical vendor at these shows. Besides greedy, you can add rude to their personality. When I go up to a vendor to ask a question I assume that they are going to try and sell me a handful of magic beans. I think that jaded attitude is absolutely necessary if you want to find a deal and steer clear of rpoffs.Like the guy at the york show who has a box of 7.62mm surplus for $17. Two shows in a row that man had that box for sale. I wonder if I'll see him this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom