• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Y'all are making this too complicated. The answer is right there in UCR . Felons killed by LE. Felons killed by Citizens .

But as long as we're going down the semantic rabbit hole :

General Public are more likely to be unexpectedly violent crime victims .

LE ( uniformed , Armed Security too ) more likely to delibertly engage in situations known to be dangerous , on purpose .

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    No fair danb, you waited until Road Dawg and Blaster229 exited the building before you made the OP yesterday. Now this thread isn't even popcorn worthy! :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I did notice RD's new 'tag line'. I missed Blaster's. Somewhere out there, there are two Alphas sitting on the steps, pouting.

Maybe the "Swatting" thread? I bailed a while ago.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    How many lives are saved by a CCW holder? That's what's important.

Very important, but probably a number that we could never know. It’s sort of like the question how many lives are saved by police officers? Or how many lives could be saved by having more police officers? You could count up all incidents where a cops actions thwarted a criminal activity that directly or indirectly endangered the public, but how many lives are saved by there just being a police presence in the first place.

Thats the big question. How many potential victims of violent crime would not become victims if criminals simply assumed that every potential victim had a reasonable probability of bring armed and able to defend themselves.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    If I was a criminal looking to live off people by stealing and robbing them, I would prefer a place where I'll less likely be confronted with resistance from a citizen. My idea place is where citizens are unarmed. Look at the cities like Chicago and Baltimore were they have very strict gun laws, crime and murder happen almost daily. The criminals remain armed, and the poor law abiding citizens of those cities are left defenseless.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    If I was a criminal looking to live off people by stealing and robbing them, I would prefer a place where I'll less likely be confronted with resistance from a citizen. My idea place is where citizens are unarmed. Look at the cities like Chicago and Baltimore were they have very strict gun laws, crime and murder happen almost daily. The criminals remain armed, and the poor law abiding citizens of those cities are left defenseless.

That is why criminals thrive in those areas.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Agreed. I rarely agree with either of them but I enjoy their posts and both seem to be great guys.

I agree with each of them a number of times.

But when I don't agree, I REALLY don't agree. :)

But I have learned things from both of them.

hunter3705

Jan 8, 2010
    Halethorpe
    I've always felt that the real value of CCWs is the deterrent they create. When sociopathic animals know that anyone could be lawfully armed - and many probably are - they're more likely to act like civilized humans. It makes them paranoid and uncertain, and that's a good thing.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I've always felt that the real value of CCWs is the deterrent they create. When sociopathic animals know that anyone could be lawfully armed - and many probably are - they're more likely to act like civilized humans. It makes them paranoid and uncertain, and that's a good thing.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

over 90% of defense gun uses end without a shot fired. So says the Department of Justice, anyway. There are at least 4x as many defense gun uses as there are homicides in the USA. Probably more, but it depends on who you ask. The low end (4x) is put out by a reliably anti-gun org, so I like to quote it since its probably a minimum.

The problem with deterrence, like vaccines, is that success is measured by the absence of something (crime, disease). Measuring the absence of something is straightforward in a clinical setting, where you can control who gets the treatment. Measuring the success of a deterrent is extremely hard. How do we know what would have happened if Reagan had not built up the military in the 80s?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think you have this backwards. Concealed carriers could as easily be said to be in more dangerous situations and more likely to be specifically targeted than cops.

This has nothing to do with who is a victim. Cops get specifically called to situations with known criminals. CCW holders do not get called to dangerous situations.

You would have to make the comparison as to how many cops get attacked just being in public (walking into a store, etc...) not on a call, compared to CCW citizens. That's probably impossible to do.

Cops draw their weapons a zillion more times than CCWs and thus the likelihood of a shooting is going to go up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom