• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    how about calling the distributors that gun dealers buy from and tell them to lower their prices?
    maybe dealers shouldnt make a profit, just charge you what the distributors charge them...:lol2:

No Lee, these weren't new firearms for the most part. The most outrageous prices were the used firearms. You also need to stop talking about something when you're not there to see the prices. I know what firearms sell for and when a guy pulls his gun collection out of the basement and wants more than new gun prices, that too much. Then you have [Redacted] wanting retail plus 5-10% more, that's too much.

I know you're working or you'd be there, but from someone that's been to this rodeo a few years now, I'm telling you the prices were high. I don't know what the vendors were charged per table, and maybe they needed to raise their prices to cover that.

You can criticize all you want. But when you're not there you have no knowledge of what prices are being charged, so please don't make yourself look bad by complaining about a customer's concerns. The prices were high, deal with it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Blue Fins is the exception not the rule. I typically have a hard time leaving their tables. I wish I had the cash at the time to buy one of the Finn Mosins they had at Timonium. If I do go, maybe they still have one?

They didn't have any on the table tonight that I saw.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm pretty sure the sign at the door said $5 for students...so bring your student ID next time. Wonder if there are SOTAR student ID cards? :D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just to give everyone a few examples of NEW firearm prices at the show compared to an IP on this forum

ZASTAVA M90NP .223 CALIBER 18.25" BARREL
    Gun Show $775
    IP $660

MARLIN 1895CB .45/70 26" AMERICAN BLACK WALNUT
    Gun Show $800
    IP $670

This isn't just a few pennies, this is substantial. Even if you ad another 10% to the IP price, these gun show prices are still outrageous.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Just to give everyone a few examples of NEW firearm prices at the show compared to an IP on this forum

ZASTAVA M90NP .223 CALIBER 18.25" BARREL
    Gun Show $775
    IP $660

MARLIN 1895CB .45/70 26" AMERICAN BLACK WALNUT
    Gun Show $800
    IP $670

This isn't just a few pennies, this is substantial. Even if you ad another 10% to the IP price, these gun show prices are still outrageous.

Which IP? Comparing prices between a 1 man dirt floor shack and an LGS with overhead, multiple employees and a large inventory isn't very realistic.
    Also if you're talking about the Marlin in the back right corner, that had substantial work done to the action.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    No Lee, these weren't new firearms for the most part. The most outrageous prices were the used firearms. You also need to stop talking about something when you're not there to see the prices. I know what firearms sell for and when a guy pulls his gun collection out of the basement and wants more than new gun prices, that too much. Then you have [Redacted] wanting retail plus 5-10% more, that's too much.

I know you're working or you'd be there, but from someone that's been to this rodeo a few years now, I'm telling you the prices were high. I don't know what the vendors were charged per table, and maybe they needed to raise their prices to cover that.

You can criticize all you want. But when you're not there you have no knowledge of what prices are being charged, so please don't make yourself look bad by complaining about a customer's concerns. The prices were high, deal with it.

i know what firearms sell for . i've been in the business a long time.
    used prices are what they are. if you dont like the price walk away.
    if its one dealer you're talking about with the high prices on new stuff, he marks his stuff msrp. again if you dont like the price walk away. theres no harm dealing with other sellers.
    I would love to get stuff at dealer cost but thats not how it works. wouldnt it be great if we could order directly from the distributor, and cut out he middle man. unfortunately thats not the case with firearms. Uncle Sam wants you to have all the proper licenses. enought for now, gotta go to work.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Which IP? Comparing prices between a 1 man dirt floor shack and an LGS with overhead, multiple employees and a large inventory isn't very realistic.

Yes but the LGS needs to be somewhat competitive. Based on the described prices, I will spend my hard earned money with the 1 man dirt floor shack IP every time.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Who would pay asking price anyway? Offer a very low cash deal and let them counter offer. If they won't deal walk away. If you can settle on a price that both can live with everybody is happy.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Also if you're talking about the Marlin in the back right corner, that had substantial work done to the action.

Like I said, add 10% and you're still $50 more at the gun show. These were just 2 examples of the prices at the show. Go ahead and take up for the vendors, but I know when a firearm is selling for too much.

No, the Marlin I'm talking about is plain jane, out of the box. But if you can get me that rifle for $800, I'll be there when the doors open.

There were other rifles too. A dealer (doesn't have a store front) was selling a rifle for $1100 and a few IP here are selling them for $1000.

And I'm not even talking about the used firearms selling for MSRP. A Redfield scope does not make a rifle worth another $200. I was actually told that buy a seller there last night.

Look, I'm all for the gun show vendor. I worked with one for a number of years. I know what's involved but if they can't absorb the table fees, then maybe they shouldn't be at a gun show. Other than that, it's just greed.

A good vendor is going to sell at a decent price to get the customer to come into the store and spend more money. Not try to squeeze ever penny from the customer at the show.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    Went last night around 6:00 they had a good crowd but like others have said, $10 for entry is ridiculous for a show that small. didn't see any deals and it only took me around 45 minutes to walk around 2 times.
    Been going to that show for years but I think that was my last time.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    The admission price is funny. Wednesday's Aegis had an ad that said $10 and I was like WTF? The ad in today's Aegis said admission was $5 which is more like it. Somethin' funny goin on here.

Apparently the Izaak Walton League which runs the show as their annual fundraiser paid for an advertisement in the Aegis the same as prior years, but the Aegis messed up. Instead of using the provided updated advertisement, they just reprinted last year's advertisment, hence the price and dates being incorrect. The Aegis also just put out the advertisement, instead of printing it in advance of the show as proper marketing would call for.

I found the prices to be high too, and just made some small purchases of reloading stuff, mostly for primed brass at ~4c apiece. There were some scattered die sets here and there for about $20-$25, but not in the calibers I need. There were a couple raffle items going on and I considered the kayak, but don't have any way to tote it around if I won.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    People totally waste their time and money to be disappointed again and again. Makes no sense to me
    Just hoping each year for it to get better, but after this, it appears it simply is what it is.
    It's a shame. They've actually driven away quite a few with their unreasonable admission, crowded venue, and high prices awaiting the customers. I've bought guns and accessories at this show in previous years, but this year was the worst show I have seen there and have no desire to return next year. I'm alll for supporting the LGS's but the quality was nowhwere near matching the prices on most of the items I saw at the show.
    I'm still trying to comprehend the comment the guy at the door made to me about the price actually going to increse next year.
    I suspect he may have the whole building to himself.

Mike M

May 11, 2012
    I heard the gentleman mentioned that the price would go up again next year as well. I think he used it as justification for the $10 fee when I mentioned that I saw that the show was advertised as $5. $20 for my wife and I on friday. This was our last belair show.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I went Saturday AM, got there around 9AM. No wait to get in but still somewhat crowded on the ends of aisles. Sold a rifle to add to my spending cash. Heard one dealer comment that the smaller crowd was because of the entry price hike and that nobody is panic buying anymore.

Didn't see any smoking deals save for a nice Spanish Mauser FR-8 that some tool basically blocked me in from physically accessing because it was so goddamn crowded. In the meantime, another guy walked up and bought it on the spot for $300. I was incredibly pissed to the point that I almost wanted to offer the seller $50 more than he was asking just to I could finish my Spanish Mauser collection (this is the last one I need), but I soon cooled down (some) and thought that would be an incredibly poor way to act (although I have been the victim of this same activity thanks to my family before). Handled a few other rifles I was interested in, talked to some nice people, then bought a Uberti Baby Rolling Block in .357 Magnum that wasn't too expensive ($60 under MSRP after haggling) and immediately left. I did see a PAP90 in 5.56 that was basically $700 cash and almost pulled the trigger, but I am a sucker for Rolling Blocks and couldn't pass up one in .357 Magnum. At least it wasn't a total loss of a morning I suppose. Still kinda mad about that FR-8, though.

I wish I would have gone to Howard County instead. Unless they make it larger and/or change venues, I cannot see spending $10+ to visit this show, even if it's a fundraiser.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I refused to pay 10 bucks to walk around a show the size of a small cafeteria. I went to Harrisburg and spent 8 hours looking at guns and all things outdoor. I also scored all this free stuff.

0d7a3451fb4c15e167b3fcba130b5328.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom