• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I’m currently setting up a Mossberg pgo shotgun for HD. But I’m considering buying and using a Mossberg shockwave for that same purpose.

I’ve read a lot of reviews about using PGO shotguns but nothing about the shockwave. What insight could you guys give me?

As soon as the weather warms up for a weekend I’m gonna head up to my local range and get some practice in with using the PGO.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Neither.

Unless you really live in tight confines there just isn't much to recommend them. I was trained to use a PGO shotgun by a retired Border Patrol instructor. They carried the weapon for several years apparently. Even with good training and a lot of practice I've found it much more challenging to shoot that weapon accurately and quickly than just about anything else.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Hogue makes a 12” stock that keeps things compact.
    Either use a shoulder fired weapon or a handgun but definitely not a PGO if you’re serious about home defense.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I had a PGO Mossberg 500. Looks cool. Not fun or easy to shoot. I ended up putting on shoulder stock.

Let us know your observations after trying the PGO at the range.

The shockwave with a pistol brace is an interesting proposition.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    PGOs have SERIOUS drawbacks for defensive use, primarily awkward aiming, lack of stability, low capacity, poor recoil control, and the inability to use most any tactical shotgun loading technique. The only benefit is a powerful or specialized round in a relatively compact package, but there are much better platforms for that. The new crop of 12ga < 18" "firearms" are a little more compact, but have an awkward grip that makes them even more difficult to use. A stock, even a short one, or a pistol braced "firearm" is a far better design. something like this:

128610.jpg

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    There is video where the PGO/Pump Shotgun/Carriage gun was put through the paces, and teh carriage gun was fine vs 1-2 bad guys and much more accurate and just as compact aiming as a PGO. The pump was the winner in 3+ bad guy situation. The issue with a PGO is the cycling and overall accuracy due to the fact that you have no stock.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I put a SB Tactical brace on my Tac-14 and am very happy with it. Shares room in the safe with a Glock 22c and Maverick 88 with 12” Houge stock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The bird's head type grip on the shockwave is comparatively better than the "right angle-ish " pistol grip usually seen , regardless of bbl length .

But a real buttstock is far, far better than either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom