• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i worked out there a bit a few years ago and passed thru the truckee i-80 checkpoint multiple times. never searched but i guess they have the right to do that.

but yeah there are plenty of roads between NV and CA that have zero checkpoints, including the road around lake tahoe.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I hope that the unintended consequence is rural “ammo sanctuary cities” and a crap ton of new reloaders!

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    16 doesn't seem like a lot , but much of Cali really only has limited places to enter . Only finite number of bridges over Colorado river . A cpl of desert tracks near Death Valley , maybe a cpl Jeep trails around Tahoe .

Probably better odds of only curosy checks during one of the 15mi backups for the I-15 checkpoint .

I still don’t understand how these ag “border” “searches” aren’t blatant 4A violations until you are stupid enough to roll down your window and consent. I assume they operate under the same legal grounds as DUI checkpoints?

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I bought a Dillon 650 this fall for a few reasons, not the least of which was anticipation that MD will ban ammo delivery as well.

Hope I’m wrong.

I'm trying to remember when ammo could not be shipped here to Montgomery County. Was that about 8 years ago? It was short-lived. Not all Distributors banned shipment, but it was frustrating and pointless. A liberal friend said I didn't need a whole case, and could not understand that shooters go through that in a few short months. (maybe he didn't want to understand?)

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I bought a Dillon 650 this fall for a few reasons, not the least of which was anticipation that MD will ban ammo delivery as well.

Hope I’m wrong.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I assume someone is putting together a lawsuit in CA and if it gets to SCOTUS and they deny taking the case or the law is upheld then the price of presses will go through the roof. NJ, NY, MD, etc.. will be the next on the list to follow. I imagine by the time the case makes it through the system Hogan will be long gone.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Looks like there are only a total of 16 agriculture "Border Protection" stations. Hardly comprehensive for a state the size of CA.

I've went through one back in 1995 driving from Vegas to LA.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    What happens at the checkpoint?
    Is your vehicle searched or are you asked questions about what you are carrying?

Back then they just asked if you had any fruit or other produce in the vehicle. They had one of the roadside matrix message board signs that said "produce checkpoint ahead", and had signs that listed what you couldn't bring through.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Back then they just asked if you had any fruit or other produce in the vehicle. They had one of the roadside matrix message board signs that said "produce checkpoint ahead", and had signs that listed what you couldn't bring through.

Lettuce will be confiscated at gunpoint. MS 13 members, welcome!

sht4fun

Mar 19, 2017

That's the same experience I had there in 1994. Just questioned. No search.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Like customs entering the US.

If they suspect you are lying, they will search.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    My tendency to be an ammo hording douchewaffle will not be decreasing. My goal for ammo will be much like my goal for retirement savings.... store up more than I, and my children, can possibly use for the remainder of my life.

Minor edit :D. Also a great way to stress test the concrete basement floor.

Jan 25, 2017
    I'm just curious how CA would ever know if someone purchased ammo out of state and brought it in.... unless they have a requirement for an inventory of already possessed ammo, seems like it would be unenforceable.

They currently wouldn't. I am not a lawyer. However, the law that was passed has a long term goal. The CA politicians are playing the long game in terms of ammo enforcement. I've read that some predictions for this law are based on getting ammo purchasing estimates for the first few years as a data gathering exercise and then what will be implemented later down the line are laws that prohibit a certain number of ammunition from being purchased. An annual limit, or semi-annual limit, etc. enforced on California citizens.

For instance, once they have the background check process established at licensed ammunition vendors, it will require the vendor to input how much ammo the person is purchasing into a database. Once that occurs, California will know how much ammo you have purchased at any one given time. This also leads to the potential to be charged in court for having more ammo than what they have registered (the burden would be on the state to prove it). However, this is along the same lines as the Assault Weapons ban that they have. They allow you to own, but you cannot transfer your Assault Weapon. By doing this, it eventually eliminates whatever they deem fits the definition of an Assault Weapon in 40-50 years.

In theory, eventually what could happen in California is that once they have established what is considered "normal" (by their definitions) quantities of ammo purchasing, they will enforce a limit on how much you can buy (could differ by caliber, could be total ammo period). This will prevent people from buying more ammo and stocking up because in their view, you could use that extra ammo to commit a crime.

At the end of the day it's a method of creating creeping normality to enforce overbearing rules and give the state more power. They don't trust you with weapons because they don't trust you as a citizen, that's the bottom line.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Except, unlike re-entering the country, they have no legal ability to search at whim when crossing a state line. Or am I mistaken?

Not at a whim, based on probable cause.

Your Honor, I asked the defendant if he was carrying any fruit into the state, and he looked around furtively and started sweating. Then he turned to look into the back seat, as if we was looking to see if something was visible......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom