• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Just wondered if anyone had both revolvers and could tell me how they fared accuracy wise against each other? I know when the "L" magnums began to appear, S&W was determined to have them compete with the Colt Python. They won over gun writers overnight, but do they still have the same degree of accuracy today?

Also, does anyone here have a S&W 586 or 581? I had one of the latter when they first came out and was always sorry I sold it.

On a separate note, has anyone bought one of these new Hogue cylinder releases for K- and L-frame revolvers? They look nice, but at $65-$75, they're too high-priced for me. (The prices of third-party add-ons these days are ridiculous. Even Tyler T-Grip Adaptors are $39 +shipping!) I can see buying a nice set of wood grips for that $60-$75, but some polished wood grips are going for $350 on eBay! It makes me want to ask them if the gun comes with them!

54949.jpg

I think if I were going to buy one of these, I wouldn't want the Hogue name stamped in it.

It's a great idea and I'd get one if it were half the price. Seems like everyone overvalues their stuff.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    MIM internals were introduced for -5, locks for -6. Collectors love the previous models, and good chance you will pay for that, but there really isn't a huge difference in handling, outside of hammer mounted pins that can be potentially dangerous compared to the newer transfer bar / floating pin design. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through my 686-6, have competed with it, carried it, and it's been great. Of course a tool steel hammer/trigger set can be tuned easier, and give a better pull, they are readily available aftermarket, but even properly stoned/polished MIM parts give a pretty sweet pull.
    Still have MIM parts, trigger has some work, and the barrel cracked a couple years ago, S&W gladly replaced it for free, and paid for shipping both ways, said it was an issue with early -6 models, but has been solved for more than a decade now. It has been supremely accurate before and after the replacement barrel, in fact EVERY 686 regardless of vintage has been more accurate than I am, so I wouldn't worry about that when looking to buy one. The lock is an eyesore, and I wish it didn't have it, but it doesn't affect anything, I have NEVER locked it, and it has never inadvertently engaged, but it's easy enough to loc-tite if you wish. The Hogue release might work for some, but IMO it's worse, I hold a really high grip, thumb on top of the stock release, then really quick and easy to break my grip, push the release with my strong hand thumb joint as I rotate the grip, them push aside the cylinder, and extend my 2 support hand fingers through the frame for fast reloads.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great questions. I don't know, appreciate the discussion.

I see that S&W is now offering this (similar) extended cylinder release as a stock/standard feature on some models now. I like it, looks funky, and I'm sure it makes speed reloading a wheel gun faster.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    JUst looking at the pic, looks like it might be fine for DAO hammerless revolvers. But looks like it could interfere with cocking a hammer for SA. I'd have to try it. Frankly, I wouldn't even consider it on my older Smiths. Be afraid of misplacing the original part.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Ugh....that Hogue cylinder release looks like nothing but trouble.

It appears that it will scar your leather holsters.... and the hook shape is just clothing-hangup-disaster waiting to happen.

And imagine that in a crisis situation, where senses are truncated, that someone with a lot of single-action muscle memory goes to pull the hammer back and their thumb drifts over to the cylinder release and they are trying to pull that release back.

I have never heard of the millions of S&W revolver owners clamoring for a better cylinder release. The current release does not obscure access to the Hillary Hole, so this seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

Frankly, the original cylinder release is perfect.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have a 1984 586 (no dash) that is just about perfect. Accurate, reliable, and looks good to boot. No “M” modification either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Hogue cylinder release is a solid piece of racegun gear for speeding up reloads and making them more consistent. I had to modify it to round off the lower corner. It was hitting me in the wrong place with recoil. This is a common mod for USPSA revolver shooters. For a range toy, I don't think the benefits even come close to outweighing the downsides. For a competition gun where reload speed is a factor, it's worth a try at their asking price if the competition rules allow it.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I'm an avid Smith and Wesson collector. I have 2 pre-lock 686s, a pre-lock 586, and a newer Performance Center 586 L-Comp with a lock. I think newer or older have nothing to do with accuracy. However, I do think that Smith and Wesson's quality control has eroded over the decades. It's really hit or miss whether you get a tack driver like my L-comp or a lemon. You also have to add in barrel length variance. My best shooting L frames are my 6 inch 66-1 and 686-2. However, my l-comp with its ported barrel is just about as accurate. Coming in last are my two 4 inch models. All of those models can be as accurate. You just have to compensate for barrel length and balance.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Stock, new 686, found this on S&W's website:

Like the barrel. Everything else... Meh. Want the 5" barrel with 6 shot fluted cylinder, not that sight, not that hammer, not that cylinder release for ICORE classic or L6. Could be OK for NRA AP or Steel Challenge as a stock gun, but wouldn't be ideal for either.

The 4" gun is great for IDPA stock revolver shooters. They now get better cylinder release options than ESR shooters.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I have owned as many eight "L" frames, all early no dash models. They are all great revolvers, but I whittled the number down to the three I really like. They are a 686 (6"), a 581 and 681. IMO, the 581 is one of the best looking guns ever made by S&W. None of them have the "M" stamp modification, and work fine with all types of ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom