• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    If you're willing to go a bit "north" of your $1k budget a smart shopper could get a new Beretta 391 - which - in my opinion is the only semi-auto really worth considering. It's reliable. They can easily shoot all the clay games. And they're made to last a lifetime. I bought a Beretta 391 Teknys Gold Sporting - a fair bit more than your stated budget but all the 391's use the same action, etc. - and I really enjoy shooting it. Even though it has a 30 inch barrel it moves quick and smoothly. Not much recoil and the action is smooth as silk.

AL391-Teknys.jpg

O/U's are elegant, classic, reliable guns that come in many configurations with differing stock shapes. I think it's easier to get a great gun fit with an O/U (just my opinion). I shoot a Browning Citori 525 Sporting and I truly do love it. I had an adjustable butt plate installed on it so now it fits me perfectly and not just well. For me, it's a keeper.

My advice would be that if you're serious about getting in to clay shooting that you get the best gun you can afford. In fact, determine what you can comfortably afford and then save up some more and go up a notch. The price of quality only hurts once.

And as several people who've posted in this thread have mentioned, go someplace and rent a Beretta 391, or meet up with someone who has one and will let you try it. I would certainly meet you at Loch Raven on a weekend and let you shoot any of my guns - and others have here have offered the same.

Can I take you up on this offer I would like to meet and try out your
    Beretta 391.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've done a bunch of sporting clays shooting lately. Hopefully this info will save you time and aggravation.

[*]If you plan to shoot skeet and/or sporting clays, I suggest avoiding shotguns with trap and Monte Carlo stocks, otherwise you'll always be shooting above dropping clays. You'll want a field or skeet stock, which angle down. The field stock angles down the most. Trap and Monte Carlo stocks go straight back.

I agree with many of your assertions and advice, however, I've always advocated that the gun needs to fit you well and that the actual stock "shape" isn't as important.

Case in point:

Most guns marketed to skeet shooters have traditionally had straight stocks. Browning's Citori XS Skeet has a straight stock configuration.

Citori-XS-Skeet.jpg

And the new trend, in clay shooting, is to use a high-rib gun with a Monte Carlo style stock. Most have an adjustable comb as well and, couple with the fact that you can also adjust the rib height, can be configured to shoot all the clay games. I've really been starting to see a lot of this style gun in magazines being used by shooters on the national circuit. I've been lusting for a Caesar Guerini Summit Impact ever since I first saw one. Then I got to shoot one and the lust became greater. Some day....sigh.

Summit_Impact_profile.jpg

Again, and I don't think this can ever be stressed enough, finding a gun that fits you well is well worth the effort. It will enhance your shooting comfort and really help you hit more targets.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I am thinking the 391 is probably going to be the best bet for me...unless I absolutely hate it when I rent one to test out.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I've considered the 391 as well based on many recommendations, but the Beretta website is confusing as hell. What the heck are the differences between all the 391's, and which one would I get for skeet, maybe five stand, maybe trap, and hopefully for duck and turkey hunting? I'm thinking Remington 1100 or 11-87 just because I can not understand the different Beretta's at all, which is frustating as hell for a newbie.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've considered the 391 as well based on many recommendations, but the Beretta website is confusing as hell. What the heck are the differences between all the 391's, and which one would I get for skeet, maybe five stand, maybe trap, and hopefully for duck and turkey hunting? I'm thinking Remington 1100 or 11-87 just because I can not understand the different Beretta's at all, which is frustating as hell for a newbie.

Beretta's website is pretty much crap. But if you go to one of the gun pages and click on the "DOWNLOADS" link you will see on many of the guns an option to download the 2010 Victory Shooter catalogue. There are much better descriptions of the guns in that PDF.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown

Forget their wesite. Just buy a 30" 391 Sporter and shoot all of what you mentioined with the one gun.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I agree with many of your assertions and advice, however, I've always advocated that the gun needs to fit you well and that the actual stock "shape" isn't as important.

Case in point:

Most guns marketed to skeet shooters have traditionally had straight stocks. Browning's Citori XS Skeet has a straight stock configuration.

Citori-XS-Skeet.jpg

And the new trend, in clay shooting, is to use a high-rib gun with a Monte Carlo style stock. Most have an adjustable comb as well and, couple with the fact that you can also adjust the rib height, can be configured to shoot all the clay games. I've really been starting to see a lot of this style gun in magazines being used by shooters on the national circuit. I've been lusting for a Caesar Guerini Summit Impact ever since I first saw one. Then I got to shoot one and the lust became greater. Some day....sigh.

Summit_Impact_profile.jpg

Again, and I don't think this can ever be stressed enough, finding a gun that fits you well is well worth the effort. It will enhance your shooting comfort and really help you hit more targets.

Hey, if you lust over shooting a Guerini, how would you feel if you shot a better gun...Perazzi, Kolar or the big dog ------------> Krieghoff?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I am thinking the 391 is probably going to be the best bet for me...unless I absolutely hate it when I rent one to test out.

Nothing wrong with a 391. If you don't mind the drive, I suggest going to Bart's in Glen Burnie to look at them. Last time I was there, they had plenty of new 391s and a few pristine used ones. They also have Browning and Beretta O/Us for comparison.
    http://bartssports.com/images/GunLists/Shotguns.htm
    http://bartssports.com/items/firearms/shotguns/list.htm

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Forget their wesite. Just buy a 30" 391 Sporter and shoot all of what you mentioined with the one gun.
    This is correct and get yourself a Urika instead of a Teknys and save $300-400. With the extended chokes that come with the 391 sporting you are adding an extra inch in length.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    So, who's going to Pintail on the 30th? Does noon sound OK, weather permitting?

Jaredm1.... I have a 391 you can use if you don't care to rent one. Mine is a pound heavier than a stock gun and the only other difference is that it has a Briley closer.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    So, who's going to Pintail on the 30th? Does noon sound OK, weather permitting?

Jaredm1.... I have a 391 you can use if you don't care to rent one. Mine is a pound heavier than a stock gun and the only other difference is that it has a Briley closer.

Yeah, I will be there...noon sounds great. Generous of you to let me borrow your 391, thank you :thumbsup: What kind of shells would you prefer I buy to put though it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom