• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    P.S. I would love to get into law enforcement, but I'm pretty sure I'm ineligible.

Usual disqualifiers are drugs, heavy debt or convictions. Most Dept's will tolerate limited MJ experimentaion, but may have differing standards on what qualifes as experimental.

MDPOLICE

Apr 1, 2010
    Don't sherrif's deputys get take home cruisers as well?

P.S. I would love to get into law enforcement, but I'm pretty sure I'm ineligible.

Why do you say that? Feel free to send me a PM and I will let you know.

Departments in Maryland have to follow requirements set forth by MPCTC, which is the governing body in Maryland for police and corrections. Departments can be more strict than their standards, but have to at least meet their requirements.

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    Don't sherrif's deputys get take home cruisers as well?

Yes they have take-homes. I believe they also give some leeway if you live in surrounding counties but not 100% of that. I'm also not sure of their off-duty use policy. I'm sure others will advise.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Yes they have take-homes. I believe they also give some leeway if you live in surrounding counties but not 100% of that. I'm also not sure of their off-duty use policy. I'm sure others will advise.

HarCo has take home vehicles as long as you live 30 miles from the office in Bel Air. We have deputies living in Cecil Co, Baltimore city and County. One lives in Essex. If you live in PA, you have an assigned take home, no one else uses it but it stay at the Pct.

those living in the county have liberal use of the car. basically if you're in the car you can be working which doesn't bother me at all. its a huge benefit!!!

Last edited:

twtyrant

Jan 7, 2009
    Luke AFB
    Do you know when (estimate) they'd be holding the physical? Wonder if I can kick my ass into shape by then. Also any idea on number looking to be hired?

I applied and I asked the recruiter what happens next and she said that right now the physical ability test is schedule for May 3rd.

A month is not much time to get into decent shape, but the testing standards are easily attainable.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Good luck guys. LEO is a fun career. Make sure the wife approval is there; the hours and job related stuff can be very stressful.

I love my career. I love my wife more.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I almost did the LEO thing, but as I was in the car to drop off my application I got a call for a long term sub.-teaching job. That was 15 years ago, I know have 13 years in teaching (sub. job didnt count towards my years and I took a year off). I often wonder if I made the right choice. I am happy I teach, I am really enjoy being with the kids, but it gets old sometime. Putting up with the lower expectations and the politics of education wears you down. At least in LE you know the politics exist.

My father retired after 25 years as a city police officer in WV. He was a respected professional and I admire his career. If I could go back, not sure what I would do. I really think I would enjoy being in police work as well.

In WV thay actually have some part-time Deputies that do the baliff duties. I always wondered why other departments didnt have part timers to take care fo some of the simplier duties.

While I am on a rant, I always wondered why larger departments like State Police agencies didnt have a "police state guard" comprised of people not full time employeed but who have gone through all of the training and academy that the full officers have. Basically like the Military guard units. These MSP Guard members would train each month and do some full time duty during the year, but would have other full time jobs. Since they would be off duty LEO's it would add a large number of LEO's on the streets, for major needs like the latest blizzard, storms, etc. they could be activated to full duty. These people would have to follow the same standards as well. Just a thought, perhaps I am silly.

I am done, and off the soap box.
    TD

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    HarCo has take home vehicles as long as you live 30 miles from the office in Bel Air. We have deputies living in Cecil Co, Baltimore city and County. One lives in Essex. If you live in PA, you have an assigned take home, no one else uses it but it stay at the Pct.

those living in the county have liberal use of the car. basically if you're in the car you can be working which doesn't bother me at all. its a huge benefit!!!

Noel,
    Does the Sheriff's Dept. do ride-a-longs?

My BIL is an officer in Prince William County, VA. and I have gone on three with him. I would just be curious to see my own county/living area/others that are sharing my oxygen.
    PM me if so, if not no worries.

Stay safe.

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Just figured I'd throw this out there, Looks like AA Co. is looking for LEO's currently. I saw the sign drivng by the headquarters today.

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Just figured I'd throw this out there, Looks like AA Co. is looking for LEO's currently. I saw the sign drivng by the headquarters today.

I applied for AA county a few years ago, went through the process all the way to the mental evaluation, after going on two ride-a-longs(both in Northern dist.) I decided that it was not for me, I have a ton of respect for LEO`s there is SO much they have to deal with that the general public never gets to see.

:thumbsup:

If you are thinking of applying I highly recommend going on a ride-a-long

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom