• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    the legs on my base are 2x4's on the back leg I added a 4x4 block on the tail end of the 2x4 which caused the tree to lean forward..... So stand a 2x4 on edge and put a 4x4 block on top.... So there is about a 7" difference.... never had any issues with my tree..... to tired to figure out the angle so my WAG is 20-25 degrees...BTW my legs are 30"

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    On my 3/8in AR500 target I regularly shoot FMJ 9mm 115/124 factory ammo and 230gr 45acp FMJ at it from a distance of about 30 yards and have not had any problems with divots in the steel. I've not had any back splatter cause I'm shooting from the second floor of my apartment at a downward angle.

At about 50yds, I've had .223 FMJ ammo either go right through or put in craters that were damn near all the way through.

At IDPA matches at Sanners Lake, I've been splattered when shooting steel at about 20 yards, not sure what ammo was being used cause I was the RO.

According to the "shoot steel" website, targets may be used for handguns and rifles up to 308Win. Handguns should be used no closer than 10 yards and rifles 100 yards.

I have no idea about the angles, I know some of the static targets have a downward facing angle but I didn't think the dueling trees had them since they have a little "give" in the target from swinging.

I'm not sure if this helped at all? Sounds like you have a nice project going though. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lotta help, thanks!!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I can't find the directions right now but what I had was for welding a piece of tube on the inside of a piece of angle iron, with the target on a straight piece of round steel that simply slips into the tube, so it easily flips around when hit. This means that the tree has to be tilted slightly forward so the target doesn't simply bounce back where it started, thus giving you a target that gives and is tilted downward, thus virtually eliminating any danger of splatter.

If you go this route they also suggested slightly rounding the edges of both tube and target to lessen friction.

I will be teaming the pipe and grinding the paddles round at the contact areas and maybe applying some grease. And yes angle seems to be necessary but more for heavy paddles so I assume less for lighter ones

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    the legs on my base are 2x4's on the back leg I added a 4x4 block on the tail end of the 2x4 which caused the tree to lean forward..... So stand a 2x4 on edge and put a 4x4 block on top.... So there is about a 7" difference.... never had any issues with my tree..... to tired to figure out the angle so my WAG is 20-25 degrees...BTW my legs are 30"

Great info, thanks!!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Here's my thread from last summer. My best advice is to buy/reload a ton of ammo, you'll need it. It's a blast.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=210116

I searched and didn’t find your thread. Lots of great info.

Somewhere I read about using an old hitch receiver and drilling different holes in it for different angles but using tubing, like you, would be easier and look better, great job, and thanks for your help

And I will Be pouring 45acp and 9mm bullets this winter in anticipation for spring time but for now I have loads of fmj ammo I will start with

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Ok, so if I wanted to make another for 223 day at 50-75-100 yards it would have to be 1/2” plate? Thicker spine and pipe to absorb the extra power? To keep from ventilating the paddles?? Is there a bigger chance of getting hit with shrapnel???

We are looking for fun targets down range that we don’t have to run down to look at after every shot or two. Any other suggestions for targets that rest that are fun and safe?? We can make pretty much anything.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I can't find the directions right now but what I had was for welding a piece of tube on the inside of a piece of angle iron, with the target on a straight piece of round steel that simply slips into the tube, so it easily flips around when hit. This means that the tree has to be tilted slightly forward so the target doesn't simply bounce back where it started, thus giving you a target that gives and is tilted downward, thus virtually eliminating any danger of splatter.

If you go this route they also suggested slightly rounding the edges of both tube and target to lessen friction.

Ahhhhhh, that makes sense.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Ok, so if I wanted to make another for 223 day at 50-75-100 yards it would have to be 1/2” plate? Thicker spine and pipe to absorb the extra power? To keep from ventilating the paddles?? Is there a bigger chance of getting hit with shrapnel???

We are looking for fun targets down range that we don’t have to run down to look at after every shot or two. Any other suggestions for targets that rest that are fun and safe?? We can make pretty much anything.

I think I would definitely go 1/2in for 223.

How about a silhouette target with holes cut in the chest and head, with round paddles on hinges mounted inside the holes? So you hit the paddle, it swings out and you can shoot it again to swing it back in place.

Attachments

• steel.jpg
      steel.jpg
      9.2 KB · Views: 155

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

You want distance for rifle rounds, sufficient to bring whatever you're shooting below 2900 fps at impact. That's typically 100 yards for .223 as a ballpark. It's velocity that produces heat, and in turn, heat that craters
    your target.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I think I would definitely go 1/2in for 223.

How about a silhouette target with holes cut in the chest and head, with round paddles on hinges mounted inside the holes? So you hit the paddle, it swings out and you can shoot it again to swing it back in place.

That definitely has my interest, I gotta figure out the mechanics now!

Thanks

OK, I think I have that one figured out and another also, the hostage silhouette with swinging target that swings from left to right beside the head of the silhouette.

Now I have to gather up some 1:2” plate and other supplies!!

Thanks mds , lotta good ideas here!!

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I found that having a down angle on the target face of about 20 degrees deflects shrapnel back towards the ground instead of directly back or back and up.

DSBartender

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 12, 2016
    Waldorf
    That definitely has my interest, I gotta figure out the mechanics now!

Thanks

OK, I think I have that one figured out and another also, the hostage silhouette with swinging target that swings from left to right beside the head of the silhouette.

Now I have to gather up some 1:2” plate and other supplies!!

Thanks mds , lotta good ideas here!!

BRILLIANT! Is it possible to share your target build? It may help the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    BRILLIANT! Is it possible to share your target build? It may help the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will take pictures as soon as I get some of the targets outta my head and standing in the field. I just changed the mechanics on one of the silhouette targets in my head, lol.

I am waiting on three sets of paddles. They were to be delivered yesterday but stuff is always late coming to my house for some reason.

And of coarse I will have to get directions on how to post pics, and if they work correctly maybe some of the somd guys might wanna ride over and try them out.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I will take pictures as soon as I get some of the targets outta my head and standing in the field. I just changed the mechanics on one of the silhouette targets in my head, lol.

I am waiting on three sets of paddles. They were to be delivered yesterday but stuff is always late coming to my house for some reason.

And of coarse I will have to get directions on how to post pics, and if they work correctly maybe some of the somd guys might wanna ride over and try them out.

IIRC you were asking some questions about suppressors a little while ago? Well, I may or may not have a few that could use some exercise :D

It may be a good way to check out the function of your targets and see if these cans are the direction you want to go.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    IIRC you were asking some questions about suppressors a little while ago? Well, I may or may not have a few that could use some exercise :D

It may be a good way to check out the function of your targets and see if these cans are the direction you want to go.

Indeed I was asking about suppressors and as soon as we get this dueling tree complete I will pm you.

THANKS!!

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015

I've held off on the 223 just because it would pound the tree. Maybe if I built a dedicated one. I don't think the plates would be the problem. The pipe would probably gouge like crazy and paddles may bounce back. For me 223 distance would depend on optics and shooting position. Standing, iron sights, 50 yds. 3x9 with rest, 100 yds.

Think I'm going to put together a Texas star, let you know how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom