• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    DD vs. Troy fixed front sight comparison

In my never-ending quest to tinker until my bank account screams for mercy, I've decided to ditch my flip up front sights for fixed. There were real reasons, but maybe that's best saved for a different thread.

I found that the two most popular choices were the Daniel Defense and the Troy, but there really wasn't anything out there comparing them. I decided to be "that guy." Hopefully, someone can get something out of this.

Here's the side by side of them prior to installation. As you can see, the Troy is just a smidge bulkier than the Daniel Defense. Their weight difference is negligible, but the size might sway some opinions one way or another.
    gOwSARd.jpg

abHWmcl.jpg

0k7FQ8T.jpg

The Daniel Defense installed on a Geiselle rail. The front of the sight goes to the end of the rail, which I like more.
    gSq0cFC.jpg

A shot through the Eotech to check cowitness.
    gi4SsWU.jpg

The Troy mounted. They both install with a single pass-through bolt, and both hold securely. The Troy has a slightly wider base and sits back from the edge of the rail a bit.
    mGSkVpf.jpg

A cowitness check.
    Cjmx2Tz.jpg

So in the end, I decided the Daniel Defense would go on my main rifle, and my pistol will get the Troy. Will I notice the stand-off from the end of the rail with the Troy? I'm sure I won't. But that's their biggest difference. Even the slightly larger base didn't affect the placement of any of my accessories, so I'm more than happy with both FSPs. Both locked up solidly, both had standard adjustment, and without taking them to the range, I can't speak to how well they hold zero, but I have no doubt they will do just fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom