• ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    RIP my head has exploded

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Look this over Ascorb. Read the explanation carefully. It's an attempt by writer Chuck Hawkes to blend the science of bullet flight (the parabolic curve mentioned well by Major03), with practical usefulness, for both typically tiny prairie dog sized targets, and for much larger medium deer sized targets.

Hawkes takes the known science of a bullet's curved flight characteristics by cartridge and bullet weight, and attempts to make it useful to a shooter in practical terms. He wants to be able to shoot as far as possible with a dead on hold on his target, while never exceeding what he believes to be needed precision of 1.5 inches above or below his line of sight for tiny prairie dog sized targets. He wants to never exceed 3 inches above or below his line of sight for much larger deer sized targets, given what he deems is now a much larger 8 inch effective kill zone than what a prairie dog presents.

Note sight in recommendations for where you want your bullet to impact given "typical" Maryland 100 yard "sight in" to keep within these 1.5 and 3 inch windows, out to a listed "maximum point blank range."

So who's "right"? Major03, or Biggfoot44? They both are. :) Neither (I don't think) disputes the science inherent to the trajectory curve. Best guess, they likely differ on how "real world" practical or "field useful" they believe the information (or following the resulting recommendations) to be.

Hope this helps.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ANNND , I have opposite view to impressive sounding MPBR .

Most shots will still be taken at typical distances . Extreme MPBR will have you hitting 3-5 inches high where you typically shoot. This will require significant offset in your aim , or else can result in a fringe hit , or even a miss .

I think POI should be close to POA out to distances usually fired . When shooting at long distances you will generally have a moment to think about hold over, while short to (average deer distances ) are more likely to be quick, and you instinctively place crosshairs on vital area / desired POI .

To my thinking , I want plus 1.5 or most 2.0 high , and 5 , maybe 6 inch low . Hold where you want to hit out to zero distance, and beyond until drop 1.5in or so . For drops up to 5-6in holding on spine/ top of back will still give center chest hits .

The whole point of MPBR is that your POI will never vary beyond the parameters used to set the MPBR. So for a deer, with a 10" diameter lethal zone, you will hit between 5 inches high and 5 inches low over the MPBR. Which is within the lethal zone. If you want, set your MPBR based on 6" extreme spread (+/-3"), and out to that range, it will hit within those limits.

Yes, if you KNOW you will never have a shot over 150 yards, you can set the zero so that you have the minimum vertical spread over that range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Biggfoot44, respectfully, I disagree. The whole point to MPBR is that you DON'T have to offset your aim and that POI and POA are within a set distance of your POA within distances of "what you would reasonably shoot). The idea being that +/- 3-5 inches will get you meat in the freezer provided you don't exceed ranges where the bullet drops below your acceptable variance from POA...and THEN you have to start offsetting. Or are you saying that 3-5 inches is beyond your comfort zone in terms of what's "close enough?"

Pinecone...I think we're actually in agreement. I think of 50/200 zero as a "typical" MPBR for a 55 gr .223 bullet, and where the POA = POA within a couple of inches. Your suggestion just ups the acceptable variance in POA/POI a few inches more in order to gain more yardage in range. Nothing wrong with that at all. In both cases, the goal of that zero is to minimize the consideration of bullet drop by the shooter and to be able to quickly place rounds onto target that will have "effect" out to a certain range before the shooter needs to start offsetting or adjusting his turrets. Perhaps semantics, and the 50/200 zero isn't really a MAXIMUM point blank range...but the concept is the same. Point, shoot, and expect the bullet to hit "close enough for business" to where you aimed within a set yardage. What constitutes "close enough" can be determined by the shooter's comfort level and goals.

How does one know what to set their zero at for a given bullet and velocity, within what that shooter wants to have as their acceptable trade off for variance in POA/POI and range? I know I'm preaching to choir for most here, but that's where the ballistic calculator comes in. Jump online and just plug in the bullet weight, the bullet's ballistic coefficient and velocity and you can experiment with different zero's and where that would put the round at what yardage vis a vie bullet drop. Confirm on the range. This is also an invaluable tool if you are shooting different bullet weights, especially if they vary a lot like switching up from super sonic 300 BLK to subsonic 300 BLK.

Yeap. JBM Ballistics is what I use for online calculations. Ballistic AE as an app (it uses the same engine as JBM does).

Also, the 50-200 zero is easy for the military as they have 50 yard and 200 yard ranges. :)

And as to your other post, yes, the bullet starts below your line of sight (sights are above the bore), and since the sights and bore are NOT aligned, you get the bullet rising through the line of sight, going above it, then dropping back through it.

But Bigfoot is correct, that what you set YOUR zero to, is based on the use. My long range rifle has a 100 yard zero, as the zero is only a datum to change elevation settings based on actual range.

My AR tend to have a MPBR setup, as they are used more close in, and only need to hit center of bad guy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you really want your head to explode, but to get deep into ballistics, there is always Brian Litz's books.

Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting

Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

But to get even further in the weeds, are are only taking about exterior ballistics. From the bullet leaving the muzzle to the bullet just stating to touch the target. Before the bullet leaves the muzzle is it interior ballistics, and after it comes in contact with the target, it is terminal ballistics.

There are people with PhDs in only one of the segments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom