• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Thinking to get into BP this year. Looking around I see there are lots of good options but I'm leaning towards this one:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...fle-50-caliber-synthetic-stock-26-blue-barrel

Any reasons I should consider something else instead?

Also, I see there are various "starter kits" available. Can anyone recommend one of these that provides necessary accessories without lots of fluff? If it's easier to pick up items individually, I'll go that route. Anything I definitely don't want to overlook?

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I am just getting back into it. I hunted muzzleloader season for years and then just did not seem to have enough time for it. Anyway, I still own my old TC White Mountain Carbine and sold my Remington 700ML some time ago. I have found renewed interest and just ordered the TC Impact. I got lucky and found one on https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/ that was on sale for $179.99. The did charge me tax and $5 shipping so it's on it's way for under $200. Unfortunately it seems the sale ended and they are OOS at this moment. Keep an eye out as they seem to have some pretty good deals. I also found a great deal on a scope to throw on it. https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/prod...Riflescope-Standard-QuadPlex-Reticle&i=223542 So including rings and mounts it should be all said and done for $335. Good luck.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Make sure your accessories include a black powder bullet puller and a worm.

Neither is expensive. Both you'll need.

He really need that if he's using an inline with a screw out breech plug?
    For a traditional sidelock, sure

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I highly recommend you look at one with a removable breech. Easier to clean, don't have to fire to remove bullet and powder charge. Many of the magnums actually shoot better with around 100 gr opposed to full 150 charge. Read up on bullets as there are some loved and some hated for various reasons - exit wounds, blood trails, expansion. Some BP burns dirtier than others so another thing to think about before buying stuff. Consider snagging a used higher end one? CVA Accura or Optima, TC Pro Hunter or FX, Traditions.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I love my CVA Wolf. Very handy.

The finger removable breech plug is a game changer. The toolbox I had to carry around for my 700ML and Knight MLs made the cleaning process a PIA! The Wolf is a 5 minute job max.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Thanks for all of the info. I'm still going back and forth between the TC Impact and the CVA Wolf. Finding both for the same price. Both get such good reviews I'm sure I can't go wrong either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom