"Someone walked."
    "It's the wind."
    "It's the light."
    Oh to miss is such a plight.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'd like to bring my 22" FN SLP, as some 3-gun stages require hitting clays and I can not reliably hit a moving clay with said shotgun. Bull Run has a 23" minimum barrel length, so I haven't been able to try with the FN or the 590a1. I really don't want to have to cross the river to use the FN, looks like I'll have to. I'm sure I'll get the side eye with the +4 extended tube on it :rolleyes:

Not promising anything, but if you shoot with me you should be alright. I've had my sisters and a couple other young shooters shoot there with a Beretta 391 20 gauge youth model with a 21" barrel and nobody has said a thing about it.

Only shotgun that one of my brothers owns is a Benelli SBE that he put a mag extension and pistol grip on it. One rule at PGCT&S is no pistol grip stocks, but nobody has said a thing to him either while he is shooting with me. He also tends to break a good amount of clays with that setup too.

Like laws, the rules at the range are there so they can kick morons off of the range. They tend to use some discretion.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Not promising anything, but if you shoot with me you should be alright. I've had my sisters and a couple other young shooters shoot there with a Beretta 391 20 gauge youth model with a 21" barrel and nobody has said a thing about it.

Only shotgun that one of my brothers owns is a Benelli SBE that he put a mag extension and pistol grip on it. One rule at PGCT&S is no pistol grip stocks, but nobody has said a thing to him either while he is shooting with me. He also tends to break a good amount of clays with that setup too.

Like laws, the rules at the range are there so they can kick morons off of the range. They tend to use some discretion.

Back when I bought the FN (2010) , I read the rules for Bull Run and and it stated a minimum barrel length of 22". They apparently have dropped the barrel length rule since then. And they stopped the requirement to take the intro class before shooting there :mad54: I've had to remind several folks about safety rules and pointed out to someone they're not likely going to hit a clay by hip shooting a rental gun :rolleyes:

But I will be glad to join you one Saturday at PGTSC next month. Let me know when.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    As a heads up, I was told I can't shoot there with my 870 in this setup(pictured with my wife shooting it) because they dont allow pistol grip shotguns. I calmly talked to a variety of workers/bosses and explained that I put a collapsible stock on there so that my wife and I could share the same gun, and because I just preferred the ergonomics of that type of stock.

I was told in no uncertain terms that "those guns" aren't welcome there. It's a friggin 28" vent ribbed 870, but just with a collapsible archangel stock. Being that it is a stupid policy, and I didn't like the manners of the boss fielding my questions, I haven't been back.

Attachments

• IMAG3848.jpg
      IMAG3848.jpg
      92.6 KB · Views: 266

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I love the place. I've brought family and friends there, and they can't believe it's a public range.
    Back in the day, you could sneak an 20" SxS onto the sporting clays range, with no complaint.
    Since that's all I owned back then, I shot it several times there before upgrading....

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    There was a time when I was going every weekend to shoot wobble trap. Been a while now but I keep meaning to get back out there. Always enjoyed it there though it was a bit sad when Donny stopped showing up.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    The only time I have had a problem with an employee was while doing sporting clays. We were at the line when he walks up and starts yelling at the novice shooter to unload. First round pops out but the second round doesn't chamber right, so the fore-end won't pump. Worker is in hysterics and the new shooter is doing his best to troubleshoot the issue and eject the second round. Eventually he gets the right combo of the release and pumping, shows that the action is open and the firearm is unloaded.

All the urgency was to tell us that the next station was broken, which we would have realized when we got to the next station to see the sign conveying as much.

As long as you are left alone the place has been fine. Just like every type of employee, some of the range officers are very helpful, some are useless at best.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The only time I have had a problem with an employee was while doing sporting clays. We were at the line when he walks up and starts yelling at the novice shooter to unload. First round pops out but the second round doesn't chamber right, so the fore-end won't pump. Worker is in hysterics and the new shooter is doing his best to troubleshoot the issue and eject the second round. Eventually he gets the right combo of the release and pumping, shows that the action is open and the firearm is unloaded.

All the urgency was to tell us that the next station was broken, which we would have realized when we got to the next station to see the sign conveying as much.

As long as you are left alone the place has been fine. Just like every type of employee, some of the range officers are very helpful, some are useless at best.
    I used to shoot there a lot. In fact, worked there as an instructor until there new lead instructor wanted all the hours for himself. I was shooting with my wife who, while a very good rifle and pistol shot, was new to shotgun sports. My wife made a mistake on one of the Skeet ranges. I explained what she did wrong and corrected the error. Misunderstanding of what was the "station" stepped between pads with a round in chamber. The trapper was perfectly happy with my handling of the situation. Then the lead instructor stormed onto the field and totally lost his mind. Neither of us has been back. Totally unnecessary behavior that completely turned off an experienced shooter that was new to shotguns. She shoots rifles and pistols well, but won't have anything to do with shotgun shooters and, while I know it was a one off, I can't say I blame her.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    As a heads up, I was told I can't shoot there with my 870 in this setup(pictured with my wife shooting it) because they dont allow pistol grip shotguns. I calmly talked to a variety of workers/bosses and explained that I put a collapsible stock on there so that my wife and I could share the same gun, and because I just preferred the ergonomics of that type of stock.

I was told in no uncertain terms that "those guns" aren't welcome there. It's a friggin 28" vent ribbed 870, but just with a collapsible archangel stock. Being that it is a stupid policy, and I didn't like the manners of the boss fielding my questions, I haven't been back.

Pretty strange they'd break your balls over something silly like that, not only do you have a stock but your barrel length is standard. Why does it matter how your trigger hand is orientated? LOL

"Pistol grip shotgun" to me sounds like Pistol grip only/no stock.

Were you out in the sporting clays when the extremely major world ending violation of range rules took place with your shotgun? I've only been there once and the only employee type person I remember seeing out in the course was the guy checking the car batteries with a multimeter at each station.

I'm up at the MD/PA line, I mainly shoot at clubs in PA where the only "rules" are to be careful for the most part.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I used to shoot there a lot. In fact, worked there as an instructor until there new lead instructor wanted all the hours for himself. I was shooting with my wife who, while a very good rifle and pistol shot, was new to shotgun sports. My wife made a mistake on one of the Skeet ranges. I explained what she did wrong and corrected the error. Misunderstanding of what was the "station" stepped between pads with a round in chamber. The trapper was perfectly happy with my handling of the situation. Then the lead instructor stormed onto the field and totally lost his mind. Neither of us has been back. Totally unnecessary behavior that completely turned off an experienced shooter that was new to shotguns. She shoots rifles and pistols well, but won't have anything to do with shotgun shooters and, while I know it was a one off, I can't say I blame her.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I had a situation like that the 2nd time I was there, but it was on the trap range. This was back in 1992ish while I was still in college. Me, my brothers, and a couple friends went to shoot trap. One buddy, who was shooting my BPS, forgot to leave the action open while changing stations. The muzzle was pointed up and there was no round in the chamber, but CD and a couple other guys went ballistic and started yelling at the guy. I started yelling back. It really does piss me off when people start yelling and barking over this stuff instead of explaining things in a civilized manner. Anyway, that did not discourage me at all. Deal with people like that in life all the time.

I continued going back over and over again, shot some leagues, and eventually CD and all the other regulars got to know me. Last time I was there, Chen, in front of others, implied that I stole a target card from him because there was "PG" written on it in blue/purple ink. It was rather comical. My brothers were there and came to my defense right away because we had been given that card a year prior when we shot there on Father's Day. Mark was working there that day and I have no idea who was working behind the counter that day that handed the card to my brother. After I finished shooting, I spoke to Chen about it and we came to an understanding. I don't shoot as often as I used to, but even that incident isn't going to prevent me from going back.

Now, AGC, that is a completely different matter and one hell of a long story. lol Gun ranges are worse than the State of Maryland with the rules, regulations, and enforcers.

End of the day, I just need to buy a farm.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There was a time when I was going every weekend to shoot wobble trap. Been a while now but I keep meaning to get back out there. Always enjoyed it there though it was a bit sad when Donny stopped showing up.

That sucks that Donny is not there anymore. Think the last time I saw him there was several years ago when I was shooting there with my brother, Mr. H, JoeRinMD, and one other board member. My brother was shooting the same Benelli SBE he shoots today and Donny was pulling 5 stand for us. Not a problem whatsoever with the Benelli SBE and the pistol grip. However, that was Donny.

Any particular reason why Donny is not showing up anymore?

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    That sucks that Donny is not there anymore. Think the last time I saw him there was several years ago when I was shooting there with my brother, Mr. H, JoeRinMD, and one other board member. My brother was shooting the same Benelli SBE he shoots today and Donny was pulling 5 stand for us. Not a problem whatsoever with the Benelli SBE and the pistol grip. However, that was Donny.

Any particular reason why Donny is not showing up anymore?

It's been at least a couple years now since I last saw him there. I think it was just a disagreement with the management and how they were running the place. I remember he complained about that a bunch the last few times I saw him. Then I asked about him at one point and one of the employees basically said the same thing, i.e. that he and management had some irreconcilable differences.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Pretty strange they'd break your balls over something silly like that, not only do you have a stock but your barrel length is standard. Why does it matter how your trigger hand is orientated? LOL

"Pistol grip shotgun" to me sounds like Pistol grip only/no stock.

Were you out in the sporting clays when the extremely major world ending violation of range rules took place with your shotgun? I've only been there once and the only employee type person I remember seeing out in the course was the guy checking the car batteries with a multimeter at each station.

I'm up at the MD/PA line, I mainly shoot at clubs in PA where the only "rules" are to be careful for the most part.

Nope. The picture was from when I just went and grabbed a sporting clays card and then went shooting with the wife/sis-in-law without bringing the 870 in to the shop(it stayed at the car with Jenni until I grabbed the card and we were ready to roll). A week or so later, my merchant marine buddy was in-town and we decided to go bust some clays. That time, we uncased everything and got geared up at our cars, then headed to the shop as the last stop on the way to sporting clays for the card. An employee saw the 870 and said I couldn't use it there.

I'm about as safe as someone can be at the range and generally try to treat other people kindly. I respond to things like this as an opportunity to clarify their policy, seek where it came from, and inform them on the reasons I chose that type of stock over other more traditional clays configurations to see if they'd come around and allow me to shoot. Basicallly everyone I talked to, including the head-guy was a brick wall and carried a tone of distaste for anything that they believed was tactical. It's their right to make the rules, but it's mine to take business elsewhere and share my experience with others. It was annoying to not be able to share a day at the range with my buddy, since he's not in town often and generally out at sea.

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    Thinking of trying this place out, new to clay shooting so how does it work? Do you throw your own targets? If it was just 2 of us would we be grouped with others for skeet or be by ourselves?

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    Thinking of trying this place out, new to clay shooting so how does it work? Do you throw your own targets? If it was just 2 of us would we be grouped with others for skeet or be by ourselves?

Yes you have to pull your own targets for skeet. A guy there told me they used to have a voice activated setup for skeet but it doesn't work or broke not sure which, and they don't have it out anymore (I've never seen it). You can shoot with others or wait your turn if you just want to be with your own group. Skeet is the least popular game there so I doubt you will have to wait long if at all. The trap fields are voice activated so you can shoot alone just fine. Sporting clays have an option to set delayed pull so you are good alone there too.

The people who collect the tickets there are pretty nice, and if you let them know you're new they will be happy to show you how it all works.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Bull Run has real live people pulling trap for trap, skeet, and 5 stand. I am surprised the county hasn't sold the land off yet.

If you haven't been, it's out of the way, north west part of Centreville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom