• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Where do you mark your ramrod? For an empty barrel or loaded?
    Also, can you over pack your load? Trying to set my ramrod for a new load.
    Thanks

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Should be empty.

https://www.hunter-ed.com/missouri/studyGuide/Loading-a-Muzzleloader/201025_700062429/

Any other reading would mean the ML is charged.

Use long distinct steady strokes, don't beat the ball down the barrel. Once the projectile is seated, the powder will compact.

Your link says it should be marked for both empty and loaded and says use short strokes:
    Push the ramrod in short strokes, gripping it just a few inches above the muzzle. If you use longer strokes, you might accidentally snap the rod and injure your hands or arm. Your ramrod should be marked to show when the ball is properly seated over a specific load, such as 70 grains of FFFg powder.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You will be able to feel the main charge slightly crush or compress at the last instant. The loading or range rod will slightly bounce when seating has been done firmly with most powder types. If done with too much authority, bouncing could affect the shape of the projie.
    Even with all that, I’m pretty sure pellets are not meant to be “crushed” just loaded firmly.

A palm saver or thick piece of leather will allow you to.... well, save your palm or fat part of your hand and permit you to feel the slight crush when it happens.

I always use a little bounce even when loading with smokeless in my Savage rifle just for consistency.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Mine are marked loaded . A clean empty rifle the ramrod wil bounce . Depending what your shooting powder or pellets I would mark for that load . My reasoning and what I have found that if you shoot , my max is 3 before barrel swab, you have a good chance of not seating bullet all the way due to fouling . I mark loaded , sometimes if you shoot 3 or more without cleaning it will be tough to push down and you may think your there but not all way down hence marking on load. To me marking empty don’t make sense. You do not smash load or pellets with a lot of force. But once you hit bottom give that extra gentle nudge . If that makes sense. Strongly recommend marking loaded. Trying different loads make different marks ,get an extra ramrod. Inline are easier I think .curios what your shooting . I shoot numerous muzzleloaders luv em. AR buddies give me hard time ,but I shoot them also. On my 58 I have no markings (it’s a3band ) little fouling is nice in that but using lead cast bullets have to be careful. It is something you definitely get a feel for. Me I spent a lot of money looking for that perfect combo. Powder /bullets for inline 245 powerbelt 3 50g. Pyorodex pellets . 58 cal only shooting 60 g 2f . Check out NSSA.
    To each there own. JMO

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    It's also recommended to replace a wooden ramrod with one made of fiberglass. Wooden rods that accompany a new purchase are usually cheap things.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I have my rod cut even with the muzzle on an empty rifle. Quick way to verify if it's loaded. I shoot with a range rod but hunt with the wooden hickory rod.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You will be able to feel the main charge slightly crush or compress at the last instant. The loading or range rod will slightly bounce when seating has been done firmly with most powder types. If done with too much authority, bouncing could affect the shape of the projie.
    Even with all that, I’m pretty sure pellets are not meant to be “crushed” just loaded firmly.

A palm saver or thick piece of leather will allow you to.... well, save your palm or fat part of your hand and permit you to feel the slight crush when it happens.

I always use a little bounce even when loading with smokeless in my Savage rifle just for consistency.

I just switched to BH209 today. Dunno, I don’t feel any crush or the powder or sabot even seating really firmly. With Pyrodex and 777 I certainly do. BH209, nada. Just seats firm.

Also, I friggen love BH209 after having tried it!!!!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have my rod cut even with the muzzle on an empty rifle. Quick way to verify if it's loaded. I shoot with a range rod but hunt with the wooden hickory rod.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Plus one on this. My Remington 700ML factory ramrod is flush with empty barrel, no modifications necessary. If it sits proud, it’s charged.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Plus one on this. My Remington 700ML factory ramrod is flush with empty barrel, no modifications necessary. If it sits proud, it’s charged.

I recently purchased a used 700ML and am contemplating using the "cartridge" type ignition system. My problem is that I can't find a lot of information on it's proper use. Could you lead me to where I can find some info? What load will work for <100 yard dear shots?
    Thanks

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I recently purchased a used 700ML and am contemplating using the "cartridge" type ignition system. My problem is that I can't find a lot of information on it's proper use. Could you lead me to where I can find some info? What load will work for <100 yard dear shots?
    Thanks
    Sorry but I don’t know what that is (cartridge system). Is that on the new Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader? That has a new, proprietary ignition system. I have no experience with that. I have one of the very 1st Remy’s , circa 1995 or 96. If it helps you my hunting load is 100 gr of loose Pyrodex + Hornady 44 cal 240 gr XTP with sabot. This older model only allows 120 gr, not 150 like most newer rifles, and 100 works best for me. Accurate to 150yds, killed every deer I shot with it, out over 100 yds about 5 or 6 times. Full disclosure, even though this load hasn’t failed me, after early muzzleloader I’m going back to full .50 cal bullets to regain the massive knockdown power it once had. The lighter saboted bullets have left me with several tough tracking jobs even after dead perfect hits, luckily all successful, but I want more reward for a perfect shot.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Sorry but I don’t know what that is (cartridge system). Is that on the new Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader? That has a new, proprietary ignition system. I have no experience with that. I have one of the very 1st Remy’s , circa 1995 or 96. If it helps you my hunting load is 100 gr of loose Pyrodex + Hornady 44 cal 240 gr XTP with sabot. This older model only allows 120 gr, not 150 like most newer rifles, and 100 works best for me. Accurate to 150yds, killed every deer I shot with it, out over 100 yds about 5 or 6 times. Full disclosure, even though this load hasn’t failed me, after early muzzleloader I’m going back to full .50 cal bullets to regain the massive knockdown power it once had. The lighter saboted bullets have left me with several tough tracking jobs even after dead perfect hits, luckily all successful, but I want more reward for a perfect shot.

Ultimate Model, that's it, supposed to reach out to 300 yds. I have been using the exact same hunting load in my T/C Impact that you have mentioned. It's good to know that same load should work in the Remmington. Are you going to be using .50 cal Minnies? Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom