• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got a nice 8 point right at 6pm. He ran far enough that I was worried I had missed.

My headlamp sucked, so I started walking to the truck for better light and stumbled right over him. He ran straight for the truck, lol.

Lol. Nice. Yeah, mine ran exactly opposite my car. At least it stayed at the same elevation on the hill, so only a short pull to the crest and a much easier drag back.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Got lucky this year, only got busy signals for 5 minutes before getting through. I think it's just one person taking all the calls, that's why it's so tough .

Probably. I wonder if they will switch it to an online reservation system at some point. I’ve scouted hugg-Thomas a bunch. Hunted it for squirrels once. Looks like it would be good for doves.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    Was a quick morning...

Attachments

• 81C38695-67E3-4594-A6DF-D4E9337870B4.jpg
      81C38695-67E3-4594-A6DF-D4E9337870B4.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 325

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Is anyone using the dnr app to check in? I tried 10 times last night but the app kept failing. Couldn't remember my location code, so the phone was useless to me. I eventually got the website to work.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is anyone using the dnr app to check in? I tried 10 times last night but the app kept failing. Couldn't remember my location code, so the phone was useless to me. I eventually got the website to work.

Thursday night I used the site and it worked fine.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    I have found there does seem to be more of the nicer stags out in the swamp. That one however was shot on hard ground. I was probably 800-1000 yards from the swamp.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Used tonight on Samsung Galaxy S5. Had major troubles years past, but last year was trouble free for me on the three I checked, and tonight went perfect. Still waiting for the fail though. So far so good for now.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I got a crop dmg permit but it was too darn hot to not end up w/ wasted meat in july-aug. Any tips to share? We have a gambral there on site, though i must say.. only done it 4-5 times ourselves. Is it just "more practice"?

How do you keep them from spoiling? Use water?? no water??

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your post.

When hunting in the summer there are two important thing after a kill. Cool the meat as quickly as possibly and prevent bugs from getting access to the meat. Normally if you shoot one you are done unless it drops and you get another shot right away. Most of the time flies will start laying eggs on the wound within about 30 minutes. If it's a single lung shot and takes you an hour to recover the game then more than likely it will have eggs on it that look like saw dust.

Me personally, I have a good relationship with my butcher, so I just drop mine off. Do understand a lot of butchers shut down in the off season. Some butchers work with several groups of hunters and do crop damage at a certain time. My butcher turns his cooler box on a few days before we start on crop damage. He will collect deer for a week then butcher them all at once.

If you are doing the butchering yourself you still want to cool the meat. some guys I know have a fridge in their garage they picked up off of craigslist and removed the shelves. When they get a deer the toss the whole thing in the fridge to cool till they get time to butcher. I've seen other guys put ice bags into the body cavity to help cool from the inside. Others I've seen skin and quarter a deer then throw the quarters in a cooler on ice till they can find time to finish processing.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OMG, Wack away fellas. 3 times on my way home last night from a game, deer were crossing the road and I had to slam on the breaks. I even took the less risky of the back roads.
    I finally got my ladder stand all set up yesterday afternoon so me and my dad can do our share of the work.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Seeing a lot of dead deer on the side of the road. 2 of the 3 I saw into work today were smaller bucks. Looking like the cold weather and upcoming rut has them moving around a bit more.

Dreadnaught7

May 5, 2017
    Sika showdown

DoCo muzzleloader season.

Attachments

• 20181018_092713.jpg
      20181018_092713.jpg
      156.5 KB · Views: 310
    • 20181019_074541.jpg
      20181019_074541.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 299
    • 20181018_101549.jpg
      20181018_101549.jpg
      118.7 KB · Views: 301

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I love being retired now...

Got into my stand at about 615am this morning. Very quite and still. About 7am I saw movement over the barbed wire fence line and deer started to appear. They were distant and on the farmers property; I had to wait to see if they would come closer to the private woods I was hunting.

About 730am a little doe meandered by. Too small to take. I had to wait

At about 8am (I'm guessing at the time because I didn't have a watch on me) a MAGNIFICENT 6 point buck cruised through the wood; coming from my right. He was no more that 15 yards away from me; but I couldn't take him since it's does only right now with a muzzleloader. So I started to cry inside. Three more bucks then appeared and they were all around me. I was solid as a statue, they kept looking up at me but were not concerned. They did not know who or what I was; only that I was something up there... I continued to cry silently. They were truly awesome deer, but I could not have one today...

They stayed in my immediate area for at least 25 minutes; the 6 point and a 4 point actually locked horns in front of me and started fighting. Amazing. They fought for a couple of minutes and then the 4 point gave up.

The bucks meadered off to my left and up the hill behind me. Then two yearling darted out from the bushes in front of me on the left (on the farmers land) and they chased each other back and forth constantly. A very fat racoon went scurrying by on my immediate right. Also, there was a red fox that trotted across in front of me as well. So much wildlife and I was in the audience enjoying it all immensly...

I was wondering if I was going to see any larger does, for I wanted a larger one to make it worth the effort. I was not disappointed.

A doe materialized behind me and moved past my left, and went up to the farmer barbed wire fence. She eventually left the farmers cornfield and made her way into the wood. About 60 yards out from me. I saw a good shot at her through the woods and I took it. She ran about 50 yards into the cornfield and expired.

Attached is a pic of her after I dressed her out and got her into the truck. Beautiful deer, she's big and a lot of meat. A really awesome morning. It is really much more fun to hunt on a Wednesday and be retired now... instead of working on a Wednesday and wishing one could hunt.

I plan to come back Friday morning if the rain holds off and get another doe.

ab5vgp.jpg

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Nice! Thanks for telling the story too. For someone at work on a Wednesday, it took me to a better place! (PS next time bring your bow AND muzzleloader to the stand)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OP, Congrats :thumbsup:

(PS next time bring your bow AND muzzleloader to the stand)

That's illegal, believe it or not.

Firearms or airguns may not be carried
    while hunting deer during the Archery
    Season with the following exception. In
    Deer Management Region A, persons 21
    years old or older may carry a handgun
    for personal protection against bear while
    hunting deer during the Archery Season.
    • The handgun:
    »» May not be used for hunting any game
    species while the person is archery
    hunting for deer;
    »» May not have a barrel length of more
    than six inches;
    »» May not have a telescopic sight or
    electronic aiming device attached; and
    »» May not be used to kill wildlife
    wounded by a vertical bow or crossbow

Page 21 of the 2018-19 Maryland Hunting and trapping guide.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    OP, Congrats :thumbsup:

That's illegal, believe it or not.

Page 21 of the 2018-19 Maryland Hunting and trapping guide.

Muzzleloader isn't a firearm though :) And it is still muzzleloader season. I agree the reg is clumsily written, but I don't think taking both is illegal in this context. I'm sure someone with more grey hair than I will correct me if I am wrong.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Muzzleloader isn't a firearm though :) And it is still muzzleloader season. I agree the reg is clumsily written, but I don't think taking both is illegal in this context. I'm sure someone with more grey hair than I will correct me if I am wrong.

By the BATFE definition of Firearm, but we are talking about Maryland.

Feel free to call DNR: 800-628-9944 or 410-260-8888.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom