MD Resident buying a handgun from out of state resident (Private Sale)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    It is new at $500 best price I've seen on a Gen 4 MOS
    Used? For MOS that is still less than wholesale for new unless source is very large volume dealer and he is getting a real good volume discount or free gun deal from volume buy. I'd buy it and have it shipped to your favorite MD FFL at that price.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2017
    Used? For MOS that is still less than wholesale for new unless source is very large volume dealer and he is getting a real good volume discount or free gun deal from volume buy. I'd buy it and have it shipped to your favorite MD FFL at that price.

It's new. Not sure how he is getting it that low prices but he is. And i had my
    Friend buy it as soon as he saw the price since he lives there and I only work in that area once a week

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    It's new. Not sure how he is getting it that low prices but he is. And i had my
    Friend buy it as soon as he saw the price since he lives there and I only work in that area once a week
    So to be clear, your friend bought the gun for himself and not you. Now you want to buy gun from him....just saying as anything else would be construed as a serious crime.

Mar 4, 2017
    So to be clear, your friend bought the gun for himself and not you. Now you want to buy gun from him....just saying as anything else would be construed as a serious crime.

Everything is being done completely legally through a registered FFL and following both states laws. That's the main reason I was on this forum to clarify state laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is now sounding like an instant replay of that Federal conviction for straw purchase that was the topic of so much discussion here and everywhere a few months ago.

And first post.

Mar 4, 2017
    This is now sounding like an instant replay of that Federal conviction for straw purchase that was the topic of so much discussion here and everywhere a few months ago.

And first post.

Straw purchases are usually done for people who can not buy a gun legally and given to them illegally.

I have my HQL have purchased guns before and passed the background checks. Main reason for doing it this way is because of how cheep the gun was and I did not want to pass up on the deal.

He already owns 3 other Glocks and I like I sai have my HQL and the transfer will be done at a registered FFL. All completely legal.

Mar 4, 2017
    So re reading some of my replys I can see how you could come to that conclusion let me clarify
    He is purchasing the gun through a FFL dealer in DE for himself
    And then I am buying the gun from him and transferring it through a FFL dealer and waiting the required waiting period.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    So re reading some of my replys I can see how you could come to that conclusion let me clarify
    And then I am buying the gun from him and transferring it through a FFL dealer and waiting the required waiting period.

:tdown:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

No, that's the defintion of a straw purchase. Get ready to wear that fancy orange jumpsuit.

Mar 4, 2017
    How is that a straw purchase when he is buying it for himself filling out all the forms legally for himself and then taking the gun to a MD FFL and transferring the gun to me and I fill out all the forums correctly for myself and waiting the waiting period.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How is that a straw purchase when he is buying it for himself filling out all the forms legally for himself and then taking the gun to a MD FFL and transferring the gun to me and I fill out all the forums correctly for myself and waiting the waiting period.

The end buyer/owner. When he buys it he swears he is the person intending to be the end owner. If he missed that part of the written instructions, that's his fault; its in there.

You have already said he bought it intending to sell it to you, which is a federal crime. That's all there is.

Mar 4, 2017
    The end buyer/owner. When he buys it he swears he is the person intending to be the end owner. If he missed that part of the written instructions, that's his fault; its in there.

You have already said he bought it intending to sell it to you, which is a federal crime. That's all there is.

Then no one ever can privately sell a firearm. Have you ever sold one of your guns? Then you just preformed a straw purchase by your logic. And like the other guy said then a dealer performs straw purchases every time they sell a gun.
    When you buy a handgun or any gun you say you are buying it for yourself and will not give it to anyone who can not own a gun or is disqualified for any reason. I am not disqualified and he is transferring it to me through a FFL, that is completely legal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Then no one ever can privately sell a firearm. Have you ever sold one of your guns? Then you just preformed a straw purchase by your logic.
    When you buy a handgun or any gun you say you are buying it for yourself and will not give it to anyone who can not own a gun or is disqualified for any reason. I am not disqualified and he is transferring it to me through a FFL, that is completely legal.

I never bought a gun that I intended to sell. No, it is NOT legal to buy a gun intending to sell it, unless you have a Federal Firearms License.

And like the other guy said then a dealer performs straw purchases every time they sell a gun.
    He was joking, that's what the (sarcasm) means. FFL's are exempt from the "straw purchase" ... that is the license. It gives them the permission to buy to sell. Without the license, you are involved in a "straw purchase".

Mar 4, 2017
    I never bought a gun that I intended to sell. No, it is NOT legal to buy a gun intending to sell it, unless you have a Federal Firearms License.

He was joking, that's what the (sarcasm) means. FFL's are exempt from the "straw purchase" ... that is the license. It gives them the permission to buy to sell. Without the license, you are involved in a straw purchase.

Actually the sarcasm was added after I first saw his comment and of course it's sarcasm I know what a license is. Intending to sell it to SOMEONE WHO IS DISQUALIFIED FROM LEGALLY PURCHASING A FIREARM. I am not disqualified I can legally purchase one and when we transfer it through a registered FFL dealer in MD I will be going through the full process of purchasing a handgun in MD. Straw purchases are not for people legally purchasing a gun and legally transferring it to someone else. Here is the whole thing with your argument you say it's illegal to purchase a gun for someone else. Yes that is true but he is not keeping the gun in his name it is being legally transferred to me. There is a difference from transferring to me through a MD FFL and transferring to me illegally. We are doing it through a MD FFL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom