Vz 58 vs Arsenal 104. What would you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you choose?

• Vz 58

Votes: 30 58.8%
    • Arsenal 104-51

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The poly sidefolder is awesome. The chunky metal sidefolder on the VZ is crap... there are better options for the VZ now, but the poly Russian/Bulgarian sidefolder is still aesthetically and functionally a better design.

5.45 shoots flatter. Mags are also easier to come by. VZ mags aren't exactly expensive or hard to find, but they aren't as common.

Parts for the 5.45 are cheaper, you should ever need to replace bits. You probably won't.

I love the VZ, in 7.62 it may actually be a better design, but... it's not an AK.

Now if your heart is set on a 51, personally the only reason to get that is if you plan to chop it down and get a tax stamp. If there's one bit on an AK pattern rifle that SUCKS it's the crappy sights, and sight radius. A 51 takes that sight radius and halves it further. It's a rifle that wants to be something else.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I'm a VZ58 owner. Voting for the Arsenal.

With the beaverbarf replaced by modern Czech issue handguard, and FAB grip and stock, it's a good, well balanced platform... But removing the upper handguard to clean the op rod is not that great. That's where the red dot sits too, so in theory it needs to be rezeroed every time, but in practice inside of 200m it won't matter anyway with imported steelcase M43 ammo.

AK has the better cleaning process, cheaper accessories, and the 5.45mm is a great round. Mags are also cheaper, you're buying something still produced and issued by many major countries around the world.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm a VZ58 owner. Voting for the Arsenal.

With the beaverbarf replaced by modern Czech issue handguard, and FAB grip and stock, it's a good, well balanced platform... But removing the upper handguard to clean the op rod is not that great. That's where the red dot sits too, so in theory it needs to be rezeroed every time, but in practice inside of 200m it won't matter anyway with imported steelcase M43 ammo.

AK has the better cleaning process, cheaper accessories, and the 5.45mm is a great round. Mags are also cheaper, you're buying something still produced and issued by many major countries around the world.

Comrade, what's this cleaning of an AK you speak of?

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Comrade, what's this cleaning of an AK you speak of?
    Heh, I'm from Russia... They train ppl to clean/oil AKs over there. Even if it's shoelaces and old motor oil, right?

AK doesn't have this mythical reliable reputation there that it does here. I mean, ppl on the forum obviously know better, but there is a perception in the US for some reason.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Well was told by my local shop that I usually frequent that they wont transfer a vz58 because its a copy of an ak... I told the associate it was completely different than an ak in every way and he says "well it looks like an ak!" . Never expected that from that place.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Well was told by my local shop that I usually frequent that they wont transfer a vz58 because its a copy of an ak... I told the associate it was completely different than an ak in every way and he says "well it looks like an ak!" . Never expected that from that place.
    For stuff like this, I'd really be curious what is the name of the shop...

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    For stuff like this, I'd really be curious what is the name of the shop...

Well I dont want to name drop as I have had great experiences with them in the past. I mainly put the blame on the employee for not knowing the proper information before he followed up with me. He claims that the owner will get back to me so hopefully the owner rights his wrong. I dont claim to know everything but in this situation I know im right. If they dont want to transfer the firearm that is their decision. Ill just take my business elsewhere from now on if thats the case. A quick search of the ban list will show that the vz 58 is not banned and its internals are not interchangeable with an ak47. I guess he didnt have time to look that up.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Well I dont want to name drop as I have had great experiences with them in the past. I mainly put the blame on the employee for not knowing the proper information before he followed up with me. He claims that the owner will get back to me so hopefully the owner rights his wrong. I dont claim to know everything but in this situation I know im right. If they dont want to transfer the firearm that is their decision. Ill just take my business elsewhere from now on if thats the case. A quick search of the ban list will show that the vz 58 is not banned and its internals are not interchangeable with an ak47. I guess he didnt have time to look that up.

One word on where to go "Duffys"

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    They sold me my Vz 58... Great people to work with, also helps they are my local shop.

While I'd rather have an AKM rather than a Vz 58, I'd rather have that vs nothing in M43 at all. That's why I won't be selling it...

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Its worth the hour drive. Nice shop and great service.
    Maybe ill make the drive soon.

They sold me my Vz 58... Great people to work with, also helps they are my local shop.

While I'd rather have an AKM rather than a Vz 58, I'd rather have that vs nothing in M43 at all. That's why I won't be selling it...

Im set on the vz 58 at this point it has alot of great features imo. Id keep it too.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Maybe ill make the drive soon.

Im set on the vz 58 at this point it has alot of great features imo. Id keep it too.

Its worth the drive and its a cash and carry gun, they are about an hour and 10 from me and I make it up there every once in a while.

Is a bummer if you are doing a 77R but VZs don't require them.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Its worth the drive and its a cash and carry gun, they are about an hour and 10 from me and I make it up there every once in a while.

Is a bummer if you are doing a 77R but VZs don't require them.
    Ill consider it. Thanks for the recommendation
    How much is an SLR-104FR going for nowadays?

No idea ive only seen the 104UR in stock recently for around 1300.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I think the answer here is simple get your VZ. Save some bucks get the SLR106 its not a 104 but they are still plentiful and reasonably priced at +/- $1000

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Trying to decide between these two and I need some convincing one way or the other. Both are mighty fine rifles.
    I own a Vz58 and an Arsenal SLR104FR. I like both of them, but for different reasons. Most of my friends seem to think the Vz58 is the cooler gun. It gets a lot of attention at the range.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I own a Vz58 and an Arsenal SLR104FR. I like both of them, but for different reasons. Most of my friends seem to think the Vz58 is the cooler gun. It gets a lot of attention at the range.
    Did you leave yours in beaverbarf or update it?

My handguard is nice but stupid heavy... Thinking of getting the polymer one the Czechs themselves use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom