• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Barrel length must be 16” or longer to be considered a rifle any shorter and you have an SBR.

OK, so I can get a stamp, have the barrel cut down to 11", be legal in Maryland. Now...

"I'm wondering what the impact on "sound" would be, if any, with a 5" shorter barrel and the suppressor, compared to leaving the barrel the length it is, with a suppressor, and how the rifle would shoot with the suppressor off and just a thread protector on the barrel.

"Or should I just leave the rifle alone, thread on the suppressor, and be happy... "

I hate to leave things alone. :)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    "I'm wondering what the impact on "sound" would be, if any, with a 5" shorter barrel and the suppressor, compared to leaving the barrel the length it is, with a suppressor,

With 9mm, there won't be that much difference. The powder is going to be completely burned at either of those lengths, and there won't be a ton of velocity difference for the projectile either (the projectile staying subsonic is one of the HUGE things that will make a sound difference with a suppressor, and any 9mm other than 147g is going to be supersonic out of that gun anyways).

What you *will* notice is the handling difference. You're hanging a pound of weight off the front of the barrel, and having that weight 5" closer to the gun's center of gravity will make a large difference in how the rifle handles.

and how the rifle would shoot with the suppressor off and just a thread protector on the barrel.

It'll shoot just fine. :)

Personally, I'd e-file the Form 1 now. It'll come back as soon as the government opens back up, and it'll be a pleasant surprise when it does. Just file and forget until you get the magic email from ATF.

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Just checked the CZ site and discovered they have "replacement" 16" barrels available for the Scorpion. Hmmm. I might one of those, have it cut to 11" and threaded, and put the 16" barrel away in case I sell the rifle someday and the buyer wants it with the regular long barrel. If
    I do that, I could just store the barrel in the safe until I get the SBR stamp and then send the barrel out for cutting. NO legal issues. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So it's legal to own the short barrel as long as it isn't mounted to a lower?

If you have only a rifle. And own a short barrel, you could be in violation of constructive intent. You have the intent of making an illegal firearm, as you have parts that cannot be used legally.

That is why many people start with a pistol, until they get their stamp.

If you have a rifle and a pistol a spare stock could be for the rifle.

Or, if they start with a rifle, unless they have a pistol, they do not buy the short barrel until they get the stamp.

Better safe than sorry.

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    If I do it, I think I'll just buy a spare 16" barrel from CZ, and when I have the stamp in my hands, have the spare barrel cut down some so that my Scorpion carbine remains "Maryland legal" in length and I have the full 16" barrel in storage in case I want to go back to OEM. Hey, it's only $$$, right?

I am annoyed that I would have to buy yet another $200 tax stamp. :(

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If I do it, I think I'll just buy a spare 16" barrel from CZ, and when I have the stamp in my hands, have the spare barrel cut down some so that my Scorpion carbine remains "Maryland legal" in length and I have the full 16" barrel in storage in case I want to go back to OEM. Hey, it's only $$$, right?

That's a pretty good way to go. Plus, that way if you ever want to travel out of state without filing a 5320.20, you can just put the long barrel back on and leave the short one at home.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I tried to SBR my glock and the ATF denied and said that Maryland law doesn't allow anything less than 29 inches. Now, I know that less than 29 is a copycat weapon, but if so, how are gun stores still selling AR-15 SBRs?!?

10.3" or longer barrel, ends up being 29" or longer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just checked the CZ site and discovered they have "replacement" 16" barrels available for the Scorpion. Hmmm. I might one of those, have it cut to 11" and threaded, and put the 16" barrel away in case I sell the rifle someday and the buyer wants it with the regular long barrel. If
    I do that, I could just store the barrel in the safe until I get the SBR stamp and then send the barrel out for cutting. NO legal issues. :)

Yes, ONLY have the barrel shortened after you get your stamp.

Rifle plus short barrel equals constructive possession.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

BTW, will it be 29" or longer with an 11" barrel?

If not, it is not MD legal. And if you are truthful on your Form 1, the BATF will NOT approve it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What, Big Al didn't buy the appropriate tax stamps? I'm shocked! :)

Seriously, what's the story about that?

After the brutal St. Valentine's day massacre in Chicago in which 7 gangsters were murdered in a Chicago garage by Al Capone's gang, the nation was so horrified by the carnage the uproar led to the passing of the National Firearms Act of 1934., which created the requirement of registration of machine guns and other NFA items.

Thanks Al

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    After the brutal St. Valentine's day massacre in Chicago in which 7 gangsters were murdered in a Chicago garage by Al Capone's gang, the nation was so horrified by the carnage the uproar led to the passing of the National Firearms Act of 1934., which created the requirement of registration of machine guns and other NFA items.

Thanks Al

Hot Damn! I knew I wasn't wasting too much time on this discussion panel...I learned something very important...if I want to murder gangsters in a garage with a machine gun, I should have in hand the appropriate tax stamp, else I'll be in serious trouble!

Thanks for the history lesson...seriously. :)

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Just a thought, but could you sell just the receiver to an FFL and then buy it back as a receiver only? Thereby converting a rifle into a stripped receiver, and allowing you to build a pistol with whatever barrel length you want and a forearm hook or brace

Just a thought

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    29” with the stock fully extended.

Yeah, if I do this, I'll have a blacksmith cut and thread the carbine barrel so the length of the firearm with stock extended is 29-1/4 inches. I'm going to wait until my 9mm suppressor makes bail from the ATF and see how it handles and sounds. I have a suppressor for my .22LR rifle and when attached, I don't find difficult to handle, so maybe it won't be an issue on my Scorpion. Mostly, though, the 9mm can will sit on my home defense pistol so that if I have to fire it indoors, I won't lose my hearing.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yeah, if I do this, I'll have a blacksmith cut and thread the carbine barrel so the length of the firearm with stock extended is 29-1/4 inches. I'm going to wait until my 9mm suppressor makes bail from the ATF and see how it handles and sounds. I have a suppressor for my .22LR rifle and when attached, I don't find difficult to handle, so maybe it won't be an issue on my Scorpion. Mostly, though, the 9mm can will sit on my home defense pistol so that if I have to fire it indoors, I won't lose my hearing.

I hope you mean gunsmith, not blacksmith.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom