• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I could only afford one of them almost for certain. Looks like the bren 2 will run about 2k for the carbine given what the first run pistol prices were, and i could get the vz58 from czechpoint for about 1400 (yes, i want the left side chargung handle and ar15 rear sight stock extension ok??). The bren 2 will have better stock sight options, no recip charging handle, adjustable gas, and bolt release over the VZ58, but the VZ is certainly a battle proven platform. Opinions? I know theres a fair amount of VZ58 users here, but how does the new bren 2 tickle your fancy in comparison? Im torn!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    For me the Bren 2 is the way to go. A more modern weapons system, with way more magazine options. I liked my vz58, but didn't love it compared to my bren s1.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Current vz 58 owner. I vote Bren without any reservations.

I've harped on the vz 58 here before, but suffice to say it was good for what it was, but a modern semi-auto it is not.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Like the Bren but the VZ is a great platform and its 2/3 the price and loading a mag with a stripper clip through the receiver is a handy feature.

Answer as always is simple. Both.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Proprietary, but they drop free and have last round hold open, so thats pretty sweet. Looks like they will run about 30 bux from snippets ive seen floating around.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have a Bren in 5.56 and a VZ in x39. I love them both, for different reasons.

What I don't love is the 7.62x39 round. Maybe the milsurp stuff is loaded less consistently, maybe it's the guns I have that shoot it, but I'm not quite as accurate with it. However I have to admit it's fun to shoot and can still be found cheaper than 5.56—but it's only a matter of time before imports dry up entirely (likely by executive fiat) and it'll be as if not more expensive. Proprietary mags are a negative for both, though the VZ mags should be easier and cheaper to find.

Personally I'd get a Bren in 5.56 but given the choice in 7.62, I'd go with VZ since AK is not an option. Part of the fun of that caliber is the history of it, especially the spectrum of milsurp mags built around it and the variety old-school metal firearms with slab sights developed for it.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a VZ58 and VZ2008 (that I welded up to fix the trigger reset). Love the 7.62x39 round. Just more satisfying ringing steel, recoil impulse, and blowing up targets. I don't shoot paper. One thing that stopped me from getting a Bren 1 was the weight. Its a BRICK (3.8kg vs 2.9 = 30% heavier). I understand the Bren 2 is a lot lighter. Just looked it up here: says 3.1kg so much better. I have a soft spot for Czech guns and will likely pick one up when that become more available.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have a VZ58 and VZ2008 (that I welded up to fix the trigger reset). Love the 7.62x39 round. Just more satisfying ringing steel, recoil impulse, and blowing up targets. I don't shoot paper. One thing that stopped me from getting a Bren 1 was the weight. Its a BRICK (3.8kg vs 2.9 = 30% heavier). I understand the Bren 2 is a lot lighter. Just looked it up here: says 3.1kg so much better. I have a soft spot for Czech guns and will likely pick one up when that become more available.

7.62*39 is one of the best intermediate range rounds out there, with good ammo. Wolf is so-so, Golden Tiger great. Miss the days of East German and GOOD Chinese ammo.

Handloads through my bolt gun are extremely accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom