• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    A hunter can take 2 bucks prior to needing to purchase a bonus buck tag, unless the hunter is not required to purchase a license due to hunting own land etc.

So my question is:
    When person hunts their own land and either public land and/or other private land they don't own (thus requiring the need for a lic).

If they shoot 2 bucks (either on their own land or the other land) is it legal to go after the 3rd buck strictly on their own land without purchasing the bonus tag?

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    •Those who may hunt without a license (Hunting Licenses) and those who possess an Apprentice Hunting License (Hunting Licenses) do not need to purchase a Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp to take a bonus antlered white-tailed deer.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    The book says that a md resident landowner who only hunts the land they own does not need a license or stamps. Not sure how buying a license impacts that. Would need to look at the actual law to be certain.

Call the local wildlife office and ask them. Most likely they will take your name and number so they can get back to you as I doubt they will know the answer off the top of their head

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    •Those who may hunt without a license (Hunting Licenses) and those who possess an Apprentice Hunting License (Hunting Licenses) do not need to purchase a Bonus Antlered Deer Stamp to take a bonus antlered white-tailed deer.

This.

One thing to keep in mind is it is 1 buck per season, up to 2. You can then get a bonus stamp to get a 3rd (or 2nd in any given season. So if you got 1 in gun, you’d need the bonus stamp to get a 2nd in gun season, even if you’ve taken no other bucks in other seasons).

Land owners do not need to buy a stamp to take a bonus buck on their land. If however you take one on your property and if you were to hunt on other property you’d need the bonus stamp then to take another buck.

Also landowners still have to abide by the limits.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Common sense would dictate that the license you have that day would need to be correct for the hunt that you are doing that day. By that logic you should be good to go for a bonus buck on your own property without a stamp. However at check in they never ask if it is your private property. So if they were to do a search for people who checked in two same season bucks without a stamp the poster would get flagged. Maybe take a wide cell phone picture with the deer and some unique land marks to help prove your case if you get flagged. Though I doubt they do any searches of the data, very few criminals are going to check in the deer.

I always just buy the full license and all stamps, it is only like 45 bucks total. I know people who spend more than that on tiny bottles of animal pee. I can hunt my land, my families land, my friends land and even public land on a whim without having to to think about gaming the system.

Ironically I always had the fantasy of getting a buck + bonus buck in the same hunt. Never had the opportunity, until this year when they changed the daily bag limit to 1. 12 point at first light, followed by his 10pt buddy who stood there sniffing him for 30 minutes.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Common sense would dictate that the license you have that day would need to be correct for the hunt that you are doing that day. By that logic you should be good to go for a bonus buck on your own property without a stamp. However at check in they never ask if it is your private property. So if they were to do a search for people who checked in two same season bucks without a stamp the poster would get flagged. Maybe take a wide cell phone picture with the deer and some unique land marks to help prove your case if you get flagged. Though I doubt they do any searches of the data, very few criminals are going to check in the deer.

I always just buy the full license and all stamps, it is only like 45 bucks total. I know people who spend more than that on tiny bottles of animal pee. I can hunt my land, my families land, my friends land and even public land on a whim without having to to think about gaming the system.

Ironically I always had the fantasy of getting a buck + bonus buck in the same hunt. Never had the opportunity, until this year when they changed the daily bag limit to 1. 12 point at first light, followed by his 10pt buddy who stood there sniffing him for 30 minutes.
    If the daily bag limit is 1 (ONE), then that 10 point buck was.........illegally shot?

(Relax, the daily bag limit isn’t one, and hasn’t been for some time - careful with your wording)

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    If the daily bag limit is 1 (ONE), then that 10 point buck was.........illegally shot?

(Relax, the daily bag limit isn’t one, and hasn’t been for some time - careful with your wording)

I think he meant that he didn't take the second buck because of the thinking it was a daily limit of 1.

I actually came into this situation (kind of) this year. I took a shot on a buck and missed but wasn't completely sure. I wasn't sure what the regulations were so I purchased the bonus buck stamp as the regulation says must purchase before your pursue a second buck. Nothing about having to be a different day. It ended up that I did miss the 1st buck and never got another one anyway but from what I can tell 2 in the same day is fine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes as the two above said. There didn’t use to be a limit, but with the changes to the limits this year you are limited to 1 buck per day. So you can’t use your bonus stamp the same day you already took a buck.

I had so many ways to cause me problems this year. In Greenridge on the last Friday of gun season I had a spike follow a doe in. Later in the day I had a big 6-pt come up on me and then 2 hours later I had a doe bump really close to me and not go far and then hung around at about 30yds or so for a few minutes before finally slowly feeding away from me.

I couldn’t shoot the leading doe because antlerless weren’t legal on Friday. I missed the spike and the 6-pt because I was shooting too low. And of course that one seeet heart doe who just hung around really close to me wasn’t legal.

Was feeling a trifle frustrated by the end of the day (and saw nothing at all in the woods on Saturday other than a big old turkey in a tree with avian pox).

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    This is correct. ^
    Thanks for the heads-up. Didn’t catch that part. Good to know.

By the way folks, you can buy the extra buck tag prior to needing it. You don’t have to wait to get a buck before you purchase it. Get mine every year with the entire license. Used to get three, one for each weapon, but now that is gone sadly. Never (ever) needed more than one, but I used to be optimistic......

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty

Sorry to sidetrack, I did not take a shot at the second one. I did not have a good view of where the first buck fell and at first I thought he had stood back up. After I realized what was happening I had time to download the 2018 Hunting&Trapping.pdf on my phone and re-read the new rules 3 times while he pranced around showing off his backstraps.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the heads-up. Didn’t catch that part. Good to know.

By the way folks, you can buy the extra buck tag prior to needing it. You don’t have to wait to get a buck before you purchase it. Get mine every year with the entire license. Used to get three, one for each weapon, but now that is gone sadly. Never (ever) needed more than one, but I used to be optimistic......

That must be many years gone. It’s been 3+1 bonus for a few years now. Of course now 2+1 this year.

Also I misread your comment on the bonus tag. I was about to reply “holy heck you need to buy your bonus tag before you get the bonus buck!”

But I am thinking you meant you can get the bonus tag before you ever harvest your first buck. Which is of course true. Same with it in olden days when you had to take two antlerless first...but you still had to take those two antlerless first before using the tag.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That must be many years gone. It’s been 3+1 bonus for a few years now. Of course now 2+1 this year.

Also I misread your comment on the bonus tag. I was about to reply “holy heck you need to buy your bonus tag before you get the bonus buck!”

But I am thinking you meant you can get the bonus tag before you ever harvest your first buck. Which is of course true. Same with it in olden days when you had to take two antlerless first...but you still had to take those two antlerless first before using the tag.
    Yeah, I think it was 4, maybe 5 years ago it changed. Not all that long ago, I think. Two bucks in every season, one plus bonus x 3. Of course, it’s highly likely I may be remembering the time frame all wrong. It doesn’t seem like that long ago in my feeble mind.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I seem to remember when a bonus tag was purchased you could return it for a refund. I think it was five bucks or five fifty, might have been in the early nineties.
    Then again I remember carbon copy license with ink stamps too when you checked one in.
    What I cannot remember, is being able to hunt over the bag limit for antlered deer by hunting your own land while possessing a license at the same time for regular season.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I'm pretty sure it use to be way back in the 90s it was 1 buck per weapon with 2 doe in between then an extra tag for each weapon season for a total of 6 buck per hunting season. And Doc I remember the carbon copy also, but don't remember a refund for unused tag but I know they were 5 dollars. I got a shoebox full of the old check in tags.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think it was the first year they came out, maybe I'm wrong it's been so long. Seems I remember a blue and white tag/sticker? or maybe even a card. Prior to that it was doe permits but you could always get an extra one in Dorchester if I'm not mis-remembering that either.
    It was bad medicine if you got caught with one one way or another, nowadays no big deal for bag limit with antler-less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom