• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jonjac

Nov 5, 2018
    Possible sports hernia, from most likely working over the heavy bags muay thai-style too much when combined with weights/running five days a week. I had just started to step things up from three days a week to five when I got a severe lower ab pain while trying to lift an extremely heavy waterlogged plant pot. I had mild pain in the same general area before the Hercules imitation, but there was definitely a problem at that moment.:tdown: I'm at the end of 30 days' light duty to see if I can avoid surgery by taking it easy. So far so good, but I don't know about when I can get back to training. Some sources say it may be months without surgery (I consider surgery a last resort if rest fails).

My best 3-mile time before getting hurt was 26-something (not exactly sure of the distance I'm running, it's like 3.25 by the map). But the average was 27-28 min, sometimes even bleeding over to 29:00 on an off day :sad20: . I run around the Mall between the Capitol and the Wash. Mon., and over a few blocks to/from my office.

It depends on your age and goals. If you were a couch potato, I think a 30 min 5K is a good target. If you are in better shape, then I think a 24:00 is a good all-around goal. As mentioned, I used to average 21:30, with my best time of 18:xx one day (at age 19) during a run similar to what leekl03 described (without the ripped fuel LOL). I would be proud to run a 24:00.

I know this is a very old post but did you end up getting surgery? I have been able to find very little from others on this injury on the web. I checked out the sports hernia site you linked and in the additional resources section and found this review: https://physiqz.com/physical-therapy/sports-hernias-athletic-pubalgia/

It's pretty lengthy but i jumped down to the surgery section and it talks about the minimal suture repair vs. mesh. I was wondering if you ended up getting mesh or this other type? This injury has really put me out and it sucks as I used to be fit and athletic but not so much since this thing. I have tried rest with no luck :sad20:

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I know this is a very old post but did you end up getting surgery? I have been able to find very little from others on this injury on the web. I checked out the sports hernia site you linked and in the additional resources section and found this review: https://physiqz.com/physical-therapy/sports-hernias-athletic-pubalgia/

It's pretty lengthy but i jumped down to the surgery section and it talks about the minimal suture repair vs. mesh. I was wondering if you ended up getting mesh or this other type? This injury has really put me out and it sucks as I used to be fit and athletic but not so much since this thing. I have tried rest with no luck :sad20:

Hey that sucks, sorry to hear. I did not get surgery, just a lot of rest and gradual return to recovery over six months to a year. I was taking 600mg ibuprofen three times a day at one point, which really helped. That ibuprofen came after I broke down and went to see my doctor about the pain instead of continuing a self-diagnosis after several months. She ruled out a hernia after an exam, but concluded that there was a likely muscle tear or bad strain going on in that area based on my yelp during the cough test . Other than that yelp, the traditional hernia checks were coming up negative.

A few months later when I was almost recovered (she did say it would take a while) I went to a chiropractor/kinesiologist about something else and learned that he probably could have fixed things much sooner. He did this trigger point release thing around the front of my hip bones and mid-pelvis area (I know, it was weird having a middle aged guy poking around down there) that hurt like hell when he was doing it but it really sped up the recovery.

Fast forward to last year and I am easily lifting lumber and 80lb bags of mortar all day. The return to heavy lifting like that came gradually over maybe a year since the injury since I was scared of re-injuring something . Nowadays I don’t even think about the sports hernia or whatever it was and am more worried about my back now that I am in my late 40’s.

I have cut back on the running in favor of strength training, too. Before cutting back I had successfully returned to running after the injury and was down to a 25 min 3-mile time (barefoot, no less) in 2010, a little over a year after the injury, and even ran the Marine Corps 10-miler in 2015.

I would say to see your primary care dr if the pain won’t go away, at least to start ruling things out. Also, the chiropractor was Dr Ozello in Rockville. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Perhaps we should have an MDS - Army Ten Miler meet-up?

Plenty of time to train for it (October I believe).

Not a bad course (or it wasn't 15 years ago :))

I always went to Johnny Rockets in Pentagon City after the race.

Post here if interested, and we can start a thread if warranted.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Used to hate distance running, being I sucked at it, hated running on a track or jogging on the road, but did like MTB and skiing. Over the years my weight crept up, and was always too "busy" to do much about it, hated where I was, but didn't know how to fix it. Did the Keto/low carb thing, got down to a healthy BMI, got back into weight training, maintain good nutrition, and spend most weekend riding trails or skiing, but needed some form of cardio to build endurance and see where it could take me. Got into trail running, same parks and trails I ride MTB, good scenery, few people, softer surfaces, variety of terrain, and can be more relaxing or more intense depending on the trail. Often times I end up taking the dog, and sometimes my oldest boy on his MTB and absolutely love it. It got me to appreciate "formal" running and training more too, usually do a couple miles on a treadmill every morning, and run on pavement at a local park when the weather is too crappy in the woods, so I can keep improving.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Perhaps we should have an MDS - Army Ten Miler meet-up?

Plenty of time to train for it (October I believe).

Not a bad course (or it wasn't 15 years ago :))

I always went to Johnny Rockets in Pentagon City after the race.

Post here if interested, and we can start a thread if warranted.

I would be interested. It always helps me to have something specific to train towards.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I ran it twice, good race.

I could do it this year. Let me check schedule and approval committee.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I was going to suggest the Clyde's of Columbia 10K, as it's 'only' 6.2 miles, and they have an awesome party after the race, but I see they cancelled the race back in January.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I have met a good amount of MDS members ,and i mean this in the nicest way (me included) I did not see any runners . Now on occasion if cake is around i might run to the table .:innocent0:lol2::D

I will meet you all at the next eating event .:thumbsup:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I have met a good amount of MDS members ,and i mean this in the nicest way (me included) I did not see any runners . Now on occasion if cake is around i might run to the table .:innocent0:lol2::D

I will meet you all at the next eating event .:thumbsup:

My best half marathon is 2:39:19.

What's yours?

JJakes

Aug 26, 2015

Hernias will not get better with rest. They only get worse over time. Not sure about mesh versus sutures. There was some negativity around mesh for a while but many reputable surgeons still use it.

A good general surgeon can easily fix them. You don’t need a surgeon who does abdominal wall reconstruction, as it’s a fairly simple procedure. Go for laparoscopic surgery if you are able. The recovery is much faster than traditional open surgery. You should be back to normal, full strength and pain free in 6 weeks, tops.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When the weather was nice I was running two miles three times a week. That's about it. I used to run 6 miles at a time when I was younger. The only way I would do that now is if someone were chasing me.

Jonjac

Nov 5, 2018
    Hey that sucks, sorry to hear. I did not get surgery, just a lot of rest and gradual return to recovery over six months to a year. I was taking 600mg ibuprofen three times a day at one point, which really helped. That ibuprofen came after I broke down and went to see my doctor about the pain instead of continuing a self-diagnosis after several months. She ruled out a hernia after an exam, but concluded that there was a likely muscle tear or bad strain going on in that area based on my yelp during the cough test . Other than that yelp, the traditional hernia checks were coming up negative.

A few months later when I was almost recovered (she did say it would take a while) I went to a chiropractor/kinesiologist about something else and learned that he probably could have fixed things much sooner. He did this trigger point release thing around the front of my hip bones and mid-pelvis area (I know, it was weird having a middle aged guy poking around down there) that hurt like hell when he was doing it but it really sped up the recovery.

Fast forward to last year and I am easily lifting lumber and 80lb bags of mortar all day. The return to heavy lifting like that came gradually over maybe a year since the injury since I was scared of re-injuring something . Nowadays I don’t even think about the sports hernia or whatever it was and am more worried about my back now that I am in my late 40’s.

I have cut back on the running in favor of strength training, too. Before cutting back I had successfully returned to running after the injury and was down to a 25 min 3-mile time (barefoot, no less) in 2010, a little over a year after the injury, and even ran the Marine Corps 10-miler in 2015.

I would say to see your primary care dr if the pain won’t go away, at least to start ruling things out. Also, the chiropractor was Dr Ozello in Rockville. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a ton for your insight. I think it happened because I just added too much too soon. If it doesn't resolve soon i will have to find a better primary care doctor like you mention. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom