• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdoley

Oct 8, 2016
    hello mdshooters, new member, have a ?

just received ccw permit with the following restriction: "while conducting business as owner of xyz company"

is it in my best interest to request a hearing to try for a unrestrictive or is this the best I can expect as a business owner and not current leo. I am a business owner and tried to be as thorough as possible in the application, not sure if I should consider myself fortunate and not risk a further restricted permit if I try and fight with a hearing. is this the best I can expect from msp?

any advice would be appreciated.

jdoley

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Most likely the best you can do...but can't hurt to try. What you need to consider if under those terms can you articulate "working". Such as going to the office or heading to the store to buy xyz supplies. I would suggest having some sort of work advertising with you like flyer if that applies to your business.... never know when you might meet a business contact:innocent0

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    hello mdshooters, new member, have a ?

just received ccw permit with the following restriction: "while conducting business as owner of xyz company"

is it in my best interest to request a hearing to try for a unrestrictive or is this the best I can expect as a business owner and not current leo. I am a business owner and tried to be as thorough as possible in the application, not sure if I should consider myself fortunate and not risk a further restricted permit if I try and fight with a hearing. is this the best I can expect from msp?

any advice would be appreciated.

jdoley

1. Welcome

2. How long ago did you receive your permit? If you are still within 10 days, you can appeal for an informal command review(with the same troopers who gave you the restrictions) or appeal to the handgun permit review board.

3. If you are outside of 10 days since you received your permit, you can pay $10, mail in your permit with a letter asking for a modification. Yes, you can still carry while your permit is not in your possession.

jdoley

Oct 8, 2016
    thanks Montoya and cruechief,
    does md ever issue a carry all, unrestrictive for non leos? have you guys ever heard or seen of one, unrestrictive type? My wife says I should be happy with what I have and not try and piss off msp by asking for a review.

jdoley

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    1. Welcome

2. How long ago did you receive your permit? If you are still within 10 days, you can appeal for an informal command review(with the same troopers who gave you the restrictions) or appeal to the handgun permit review board.

3. If you are outside of 10 days since you received your permit, you can pay $10, mail in your permit with a letter asking for a modification. Yes, you can still carry while your permit is not in your possession.

Wait, wha?

I've never mailed in my permit and have had two restriction modifications.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    does md ever issue a carry all, unrestrictive for non leos? have you guys ever heard or seen of one, unrestrictive type? My wife says I should be happy with what I have and not try and piss off msp by asking for a review.

jdoley

Is your wife Patty West? lol :sad20:

jdoley

Oct 8, 2016
    tim,
    just received it today, so I have some time to think about it. shes not patty west, (I googled patty west, still cant figure out who she is, please enlighten me) wifes a 20 yr leo that is telling me she has never seen a unrestrictive ccw. just trying to ask you guys on the forum if its realistic to expect anything different from a regular joe business owner. my wife could just be being her typical self, you know the type, know it all, just listen to me, I'm telling you the way it is, etc... yyou guys all know the type

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    tim,
    just received it today, so I have some time to think about it. shes not patty west, (I googled patty west, still cant figure out who she is, please enlighten me) wifes a 20 yr leo that is telling me she has never seen a unrestrictive ccw. just trying to ask you guys on the forum if its realistic to expect anything different from a regular joe business owner. my wife could just be being her typical self, you know the type, know it all, just listen to me, I'm telling you the way it is, etc... yyou guys all know the type

File an appeal and take it to the handgun permit review board. You have a 10 day window to make an appeal. I believe it is worth appealing.

The above was just a joke. If you search here for HPRB, you'll know soon enough. She is a member of the handgun permit review board.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    MSP tells you to send it in. You have been fortunate. You are the first I've heard of not having to send it in.

Where do they tell you to send it in?

This is actually the first I am hearing about this and I know several business owner friends of mine who got the new verbage after the SOP was released last year who also didn't send their's in.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Where do they tell you to send it in?

This is actually the first I am hearing about this and I know several business owner friends of mine who got the new verbage after the SOP was released last year who also didn't send their's in.

I was told to send it to the licensing division. Permit dept.

Had an attorney say the same thing.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

jdoley

Yes. I am married to someone who has an unrestricted permit.

Is your wife Patty West? lol :sad20:

That's just cruel, man. ;)

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    I had my restrictions updated and never sent nor was asked to send in the then current permit.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Have never seen any requirement to send existing permit back with request, and it doesn't make any sense since you may not hear back from MSP for more than 120 days. I am not LEO and have an unrestricted permit. No I don't know anyone.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Have never seen any requirement to send existing permit back with request, and it doesn't make any sense since you may not hear back from MSP for more than 120 days. I am not LEO and have an unrestricted permit. No I don't know anyone.

The approach for an unrestricted permit is to articulate a good and substantial reason that is basically applicable all the time. The other approach is to have an assumed risk position, which is applicable to persons who are open to attack by the nature of their work, e.g., prosecutors. The biggest component of that assumed risk category is the military and others who are exposed to attack by ISIS and other terrorists by virtue of their jobs. Think Chattanooga

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom