• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I got an outside of MDS endorsement on this caliber last night to add to the MDS ones, so it looks like my best bet for AR deer hunting would be getting a 6.8 upper to put on my AR lower. It beats buying an AR10 in cost.

So what all should I know about this sort of venture? Recommendations for 20 inch barrel uppers- brands, barrel twists, etc? How about my AR mags? The magwell? I figure the 20" heavy barrel would be best for accuracy.

LOL I hope Cecil remains a rifle deer county for a long time...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    16" would be likely ideal. You don't gain much by adding barrel length with that caliber, unless your going for Major Power Factor - then it'd be an 18" barrel.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    PSA has 6.8 uppers all the time I just picked up one for 329 with out the bcg.

If you want a 20 inch a stag 7 is very very hard to ignore. I saw one for 575 complete shipped and almost pulled the trigger but from what I have seen you don't give up a ton with the shorter barrel so I went with a 14.7 rather than lugging a 20 inch barrel around. 16 is prob the best balance but they only had 14.7/18/20 in stock and I won't miss the velocity at md hunting ranges.

Mags can be expensive but you really don't need more than 2 5rd mags.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I took 2 does the other day. Both were with a 6.8 SPC using the Federal Fusion ammo.

Doe 1; 30 yards away quartering towards me, shot her in the chest. She ran about 40 yards and dropped. Not much of a blood trail, but when I field dressed her I couldn't believe the damage. Her insides looked like they went through a grinder!

Doe 2; 25 yards broad side, shot her in the heart. The exit wound was pumping blood like an open faucet, dropped a short distance away.

The 6.8 SPC is my new go to for deer hunting. The gun is short, light, quiet, and the round does great! As for mags, they are pretty cheap, but I would recommend using a smaller 5 or 10 round mag (no more than 8 rounds in the mag per MD law) for hunting. The larger mag seems to get in the way a bit, at least it did for me.

CEK

Oct 7, 2012
    I second the Bison Armory 16", in my opinion is all you need. I used a troy trx extreme forend and mstn muzzle brake. A 3x9x40 Leupold VX2 in a DNZ mount tops it off. Silver state ammo and PRI mags. 6.8 will put their ass in the dirt if you do your part which isn't hard cause it shoots like a laser.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I hunt with a 6.8 spc. I built the upper with a BCM upper, Bison 18" Barrel and AAC flash hider (hope to put a can on it soon). It's a tack driver with silver state ammo or Federal Fusion. I also like Hornday custom for deer. Have had some good success up to 200 yards so far.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I took 2 does the other day. Both were with a 6.8 SPC using the Federal Fusion ammo.

Doe 1; 30 yards away quartering towards me, shot her in the chest. She ran about 40 yards and dropped. Not much of a blood trail, but when I field dressed her I couldn't believe the damage. Her insides looked like they went through a grinder!

Doe 2; 25 yards broad side, shot her in the heart. The exit wound was pumping blood like an open faucet, dropped a short distance away.

The 6.8 SPC is my new go to for deer hunting. The gun is short, light, quiet, and the round does great! As for mags, they are pretty cheap, but I would recommend using a smaller 5 or 10 round mag (no more than 8 rounds in the mag per MD law) for hunting. The larger mag seems to get in the way a bit, at least it did for me.

I also have fusion ammo but havent had a chance to hit the woods yet the three day season in Jan will be a quick test. What length upper are you running?

Do you have a source for brass ? I found a decent place but they only sell them by the 500 and I don't need that much.
    Thanks
    Steve

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Do you have a source for brass ? I found a decent place but they only sell them by the 500 and I don't need that much.
    Thanks
    Steve

I keep my fired brass but don't reload. So if you want it you can have it. Probably have 60-80 pieces laying around.

jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    I have the Stag 7 I built specifically as a deer rifle. So far I love it. Took a 7pt in W. VA on black friday. Deer ran maybe 15-20 yards tops. Shot was about 110 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom