Is it legal to carry two long guns hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I'm going hunting in Allegheny County this weekend and I would like to carry my .30-06 for deer, but also bring a .22 for any grouse, rabbits, or squirrel I might encounter. Is this legal?

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Good question. I've always personally wondered if you could carry a muzzle-loading pistol along with your muzzle-loading rifle during that season...or a modern revolver during rifle season in those areas where permitted but bring my muzzle-loading rifle or crossbow along JIC.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm going hunting in Allegheny County this weekend and I would like to carry my .30-06 for deer, but also bring a .22 for any grouse, rabbits, or squirrel I might encounter. Is this legal?

Yes. It is only against the law to hunt anything other than deer (and sea ducks in certain places) on opening day of deer firearms season.

You are GTG now.:party29:

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I do not recall anything in the DNR regs that state permitted number of firearms while hunting. During my younger days when I used to regularly hunt in upstate NY, I would bring my 30-06 bolt gun, the Marlin 30-30 as the backup rifle and a 357 magnum handgun.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Yes. It is only against the law to hunt anything other than deer (and sea ducks in certain places) on opening day of deer firearms season.

You are GTG now.:party29:

Good pull! I recall seeing that in the regs as well, but you saved me from going and looking for it. :)

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

You might want to post this question in the Pennsylvania thread. Allegheny County is in Pennsylvania.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Good pull! I recall seeing that in the regs as well, but you saved me from going and looking for it. :)

I'm not asking about hunting two different animals, I'm asking about carrying two loaded rifles at the same time - a 30-06 slung over the left shoulder and a .22 slung over the right shoulder while walking in the woods.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Actually I think it is somewhat antiquated since it was in place back when you could only shoot one deer. And my guess is they didn't want people using the excuse of hunting [something else] when in fact they were trying to get another deer. Ethical hunters don't do that but not everybody is ethical.

Nowadays with the ability to shoot sooo many deer I don't really see a purpose especially on private land.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I do it all the time and have been checked by DNR numerous times for license,etc. and nothing was ever said.I don't think it would be wise to carry a .357/.44 in a shotgun county during deer season though.

Some shotgun counties allow breech loading pistols for deer hunting. Or at least they used to.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I believe Frederick county is still divided between rifle and shotgun, but you can hunt with a modern handgun in the entire county.

I think there may be some on the eastern shore too. I never really liked the idea of handicapping myself with a handgun when I could use something more effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom