• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Mixed signals about remington and QC in more recent times.

Looking at the 870 home defense model # 81197. Yay or nay says the crowd ?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I can only speak for myself. Own several older models and they’re fine.

I also Own one newer 870/20g/express, bought used, I believe it’s a 2018. So far about 300 rounds in, no issues.

Previous owners used it hard, a few metal and wood scratches. No clue on their shot count.

Cycles smoothly. Used so far for skeet and trap. No issues on skeet doubles, pointing to smooth action and reliable feed.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    The newer ones have some cost cutting elements

Like the trigger guard on the newer ones is plastic instead of metal. Stuff like that

I also have noticed that furniture isn't entirely interchangable between older and newer models. It fits...but not always perfectly.

So old and new 870's are not all exactly the same.

Both seems to work fine. But are not 100% the same.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Avoid. Newer ones are junk imo.

Depends on the use I think.

For home defense where you need accuracy out to 5-10 feet....the newer ones still feed and fire reliably. (I mean...test it first before making it your primary defense gun. But it it tests fine, it's good)

I doubt a home intruder staring down the barrel of a new 870 12 gauge is going to be thankful it's not an older model.

The older ones do seem to me made better so they are probably a better option for long hunting trips outdoors where it might be dropped and needs to be generally more durable and still needs to be accurate at longer distances.

Price is a big factor too. You can probably get an older one for less than or equal to a new one. If you can...I'd go with the older one., especially if you get a good deal. Slap on a police barrel with the rear sights and boom...great home defense gun.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Depends on the use I think.

For home defense where you need accuracy out to 5-10 feet....the newer ones still feed and fire reliably. (I mean...test it first before making it your primary defense gun. But it it tests fine, it's good)

I doubt a home intruder staring down the barrel of a new 870 12 gauge is going to be thankful it's not an older model.

The older ones do seem to me made better so they are probably a better option for long hunting trips outdoors where it might be dropped and needs to be generally more durable and still needs to be accurate at longer distances.

I agree. I bought a new 20 ga 870 for my nephew for Christmas. He has shot it a lot with no issues. It certainly isn't junk, that being said it isn't the quality of my old 870. Generally speaking, not much is built like it used to be. I wouldn't hesitate to use the new one in a home defense situation if needed. It is a reliable gun.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I agree. I bought a new 20 ga 870 for my nephew for Christmas. He has shot it a lot with no issues. It certainly isn't junk, that being said it isn't the quality of my old 870. Generally speaking, not much is built like it used to be. I wouldn't hesitate to use the new one in a home defense situation if needed. It is a reliable gun.

I mean...it's a shotgun. What are you using it for?

If you are going to use it for home defense a 12 gauge shell from an 870 is just as good as a 12 gauge shell from a $20,000 hand crafted gun engraved by an Italian artist.

If you are going to be doing competition level shooting, get a nicer shotgun.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I mean...it's a shotgun. What are you using it for?

If you are going to use it for home defense a 12 gauge she'll from an 870 is just as good as a 12 gauge shell from a $20,000 hand crafted gun engraved by an Italian artist.

If you are going to be doing competition level shooting, get a nicer shotgun.

Exactly!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    They should be aiight, but there are some things to look out for. One thing to be weary of is the chamber cut having a ridge on it that catches brass. When I got my 870, probably back around 2010 or so, the chamber was cut in a way that looks like the tooling was worn and caused a ring-mark around the entrance. Shells would get stuck and I'd have to mortar the action open. A drill and brillo pad later, with some fore and aft polishing largely fixed that issue...later tossing an 18" aftermarket barrel on completely remedied it.

One other way to go about getting a quality 870 is wilson combat's "remington steal" program. Basically take a beat-to-sh!t 870 off of someone's hands for cheap and send it to wilson. They'll completely rebuild it to whatever specs you want. The prices have gone up a bit from back when it really was a steal, but it's still not unreasonable. You end up with a quality 870 that's been smoothed up and enhanced for you....or just buy a mossberg.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Old 870's have better wood (IMO) and a metal trigger guard. When it comes to action and accuracy though the new ones seem to be fine. At least from my sample size of one each.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The big complaint about current 870s is that they tend to rust prematurely do to a poor exterior finish. TBH, the plastic trigger group is a total non-issue, much like the 10/22's trigger group, and I say that as a dude who's used both. If you can stretch your budget, the Stoeger M3000 Freedom Defense is a MUCH superior option - no pump-loading shenanigans to sort out, ghost rings, lighter weight, and based off the proven Benelli M2 platform.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Three camps for pump shotguns; Mossberg, Remington, Other. Many of us got our start with the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. Most of us stuck with what we were trained with. No reason to get into which pump is better.

There are ways of upgrading a newer 870, and that is all fine, but if you are just looking for a new, solid 870, for self-defense, I suggest you look at a the Hawk/IAC 982. Sounds crazy to recommend a Chinese gun, but for basic use, the 982 is a more solid, well built gun than the 870 express. And like any pump, the more you use it, the more smooth it will function. They are all a bit clunky when brand new, but with lots of use, they will all function well, and it doesn't hurt that the 982 can be found for under $200.

Sirex