• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    considering that's in the ball park of a scope without thermal imaging I'm guessing it's not worth it. When I was on ship we got a class on a MULE, I remember that gigantic ass box could detect a handprint on the wall if you held your hand there for a minute then moved it the hand print would fade away in seconds. I believe they said it cost about a half million $$. Then in early 2k I saw a Cam corder sized unit with a lens that was rather huge (compared to a typical camcorder) and you could touch a wall for a second and see the hand print for close to a minute. It could detect differences of less than 1 degree they said. We were searching for unauthorized electronic devices. And that thing was About $30K they said. So I suspect within the next decade we should have some kick ass thermal imaging devices for under a couple thousand bucks. Like that little hand held leupold thing they advertise I wouldn't buy for $20 today. But ten years from now hopefully one of those things can impress for $1K.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The regular thor thermals are decent for the money, but these new scopes have small sensors and small objectives. It will be underwhelming.
    It's not a question of "can we build a 1200 thermal scope" but "should we sacrifice quality and functionality to do so".

Atn never got past the first question.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info, folks. Keep it coming. I usually fall into the group of "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is not". So when I saw this, I thought of asking the thermal users and people in the know on MDS.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom