• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Since this is Montgomery County specific, figured this section made the most sense.

The county is shotgun only for deer hunting, which is fine, it's what I've done. But I just had the thought, does a slug gun such as the Savage 212 Slug qualify? Or am I skirting on the edge of shotgun vs "rifle"?

https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=19042

The rule states "no breech loading rifles" but I don't know if they'd consider a slug gun a "rifle", even though it's a shotgun caliber.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I’ve never heard of anyone having issues with a 212 or 220. Great slug guns by the way.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The box it comes in says 'shotgun' and ATF treats it as such. That's exactly what they are made for.

I am sure the NRP cops know exactly what they are looking at. The only time this could be an issue is if your a-hole neighbors call the local popo about a 'man with a rifle' and you end up with a 'respec ma authoretee' newbie who doesn't know what he doesn't know and tries to enforce DNR regs. To someone not familiar with the technicalities it sure looks like a rifle.

The box it comes in says 'shotgun' and ATF treats it as such. That's exactly what they are made for.

I am sure the NRP cops know exactly what they are looking at. The only time this could be an issue is if your a-hole neighbors call the local popo about a 'man with a rifle' and you end up with a 'respec ma authoretee' newbie who doesn't know what he doesn't know and tries to enforce DNR regs. To someone not familiar with the technicalities it sure looks like a rifle.

but the ammo looks like a 20 gauge shotgun shell. if a cop doesn't know the difference in a shotgun shell and a metallic cartridge he or she is a true idiot

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    What is the purpose of a slug shotgun when you can just buy a slug to shoot in your regular shotgun? Am I correct in this? And buckshot shells can't be shot out a slug shotgun?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    but the ammo looks like a 20 gauge shotgun shell. if a cop doesn't know the difference in a shotgun shell and a metallic cartridge he or she is a true idiot

Considering the MoCo PDs efforts to 'diversify' their workforce and the move away from shotguns in favor of patrol rifles, I wouldn't be surprised to encounter a cop who has never seen a slug shell in his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom