• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yes, you have to engrave the tube. I don't know about disposal.
    The Form 1 e-files currently have an ~30 day turn around time. (That was not a typo)
    Do i send the CLEO sign off in or go there to do it?

I think I’m gonna dip my feet in this NFA game.

That was my last question i promise but i do really thank you guys for answering me!
    Allow me to elaborate. SG is right with it being about 30 days. Fastest one I ever got was in 27 days, the longest was 35 days. But then again, that was the eform 1.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Lol i kinda want to call the ATF for clarity and full legality on these but i feel like that will 100% put me on a “we are watching you” list. I’ve wanted a .22 suppressor for a while and the form 1 return time is appealing! My BIL who basically only owns NFA items says its way quicker then a 4

I saw that Diversified Machine has a discreet mail in order if you are paranoid

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

But you still gotta get that indelible stamp. But such a large (literally and figuratively) object on the federal record keeping radar at this point, I just have to conclude I can no longer care if my radar blip gets a little larger.

A friend and I are going to be setting up his new drill-mill in March, and no matter how much his wife thinks it’s so he can finally get some of those kitchen projects done, we’re both going to be trying some of these projects. Can’t not.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    But you still gotta get that indelible stamp. But such a large (literally and figuratively) object on the federal record keeping radar at this point, I just have to conclude I can no longer care if my radar blip gets a little larger.

A friend and I are going to be setting up his new drill-mill in March, and no matter how much his wife thinks it’s so he can finally get some of those kitchen projects done, we’re both going to be trying some of these projects. Can’t not.

I would be more worried about the feds checking the site records and thinking you're building an illegal one because they were too stupid to check to see if your name had any approved form 1's.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Just a heads up in case anyone was curious, the Quiet Bore titanium internal .22 kit can handle 17hmr and 22mag as well, the aluminum one cannot. I couldn’t find anything definitive on their site or elsewhere online so I emailed them.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

No I’m not really worried worried i just wish i could get the stamp before the product. I’m still game on this and if i was going to break the law i obviously wouldn’t even be posting here especially asking questions on how to do it properly.

I’m gonna go the .22 route.

ABN

ATW!
    Jan 20, 2020
    Baltimore
    Just a heads up in case anyone was curious, the Quiet Bore titanium internal .22 kit can handle 17hmr and 22mag as well, the aluminum one cannot. I couldn’t find anything definitive on their site or elsewhere online so I emailed them.

Another heads up if anyone was curious, the .45 QB kit works lovely on 9mm if you decide to get their .45 kit and use the 9mm drill plate.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    No I’m not really worried worried i just wish i could get the stamp before the product. I’m still game on this and if i was going to break the law i obviously wouldn’t even be posting here especially asking questions on how to do it properly.

I’m gonna go the .22 route.

Owning/possessing a solvent trap is legal, as long as you haven't drilled out the end cap. Oh and might I suggest that you wait on drilling things out, until you get your tube engraved. It's not in the law, but it is a CYA to get the tube engraved, before drilling anything.

If you are going to do the 22 kit, I have the drill fixture. If you want to borrow it for when you drill the baffles, you're free to do so.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Owning/possessing a solvent trap is legal, as long as you haven't drilled out the end cap. Oh and might I suggest that you wait on drilling things out, until you get your tube engraved. It's not in the law, but it is a CYA to get the tube engraved, before drilling anything.

If you are going to do the 22 kit, I have the drill fixture. If you want to borrow it for when you drill the baffles, you're free to do so.

It sure is

I wouldn't doubt of the ATF keeps tabs though

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    question on baffle drill markings

I watched a quietbore vid using their kits to hold the baffle in place to drill. Dumb question. When he was done he had the camera guy do a close up. How and what are those 45 degree off reams in the center? All he used was a drill and a vise? Each had one edge in the hole that had like an off partial drill and underneath more.

Attachments

• drill1.jpg
      drill1.jpg
      18.1 KB · Views: 303
    • drill2.jpg
      drill2.jpg
      24.3 KB · Views: 257

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I watched a quietbore vid using their kits to hold the baffle in place to drill. Dumb question. When he was done he had the camera guy do a close up. How and what are those 45 degree off reams in the center? All he used was a drill and a vise? Each had one edge in the hole that had like an off partial drill and underneath more.

Those are premachined on the blanks. You can see them on the back photo here: https://www.quietbore.com/product/45cal-aluminum-internal/

I believe it’s an alignment notch so they are all put in a specific orientation. I could be wrong but I know many if not most commercial baffles have an alignment notch to orient them.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Thank you for the quick response. Thought it was some weird thing did for something else. Of course some pics reflect too much. Like StantonCree I too would like to dabble in this. Looks cool. Also self cleaning instead of the contained units. I know there is a place that can take your sealed can and convert to self cleaning- as in take apart.

I wonder how quiet these traps are?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Those are premachined on the blanks. You can see them on the back photo here: https://www.quietbore.com/product/45cal-aluminum-internal/

I believe it’s an alignment notch so they are all put in a specific orientation. I could be wrong but I know many if not most commercial baffles have an alignment notch to orient them.
    Thank you for the quick response. Thought it was some weird thing did for something else. Of course some pics reflect too much. Like StantonCree I too would like to dabble in this. Looks cool. Also self cleaning instead of the contained units. I know there is a place that can take your sealed can and convert to self cleaning- as in take apart.

I wonder how quiet these traps are?
    Wrong. Those cuts you see are actually where the cones were clipped, to disrupt the laminar flow, as the bullet goes through the baffle stack.

As for how quiet they are, I'd be more than willing to let you try one out at the range.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Not sure about the oil filter adapter. If I understood the wording properly bythe (ATF) the filter is part of the suppressor making it "unreplaceable" without paying for another stamp. Does it imply the serial number being placed on the filter? While I've seen you tube videos that they work. I so not think it is worth in to shell out $200 each time I change the filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom