• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    ...and the tribe has spoken.

OP was brave/smart enough to ask. Lot of good answers.

Legal stuff aside, I apply my own story. Fifteen years ago I made about $11/hour working as a grounds keeper. It required no experience, just an understanding the day starts at sunrise and there will be days it ends after sunset.

13/hr, today, in this area.... and pre-reqs? Or Work fsstfood, get free food, free uniforms and benefits..

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I dont think I need to add on, but you are asking for skilled work with carpentry and plumbing and only paying $13 an hour. Anyone worth their salt isnt going to take $13 an hour on a 1099. Carpentry is in that $20 to $25 /hr and plumbing is more. Then you want a DOT physical and prefer a CDL. The DOT physical costs money and if they went that far they would be driving for more money. You are asking for an all around jack of all trades and offering wages on par for a McD's. You should really be in that $20 to $30 range. You are really saying your boss wants to hire an illegal immigrant for cash under the table, but even those with skills probably wouldnt take $13 an hour cash under the table.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    The small company I am working for is going thru some serious growing pains due to expansion. I need one worker to help with trash outs, snow removal, lawn care, plus some light carpentry and some plumbing experience is a plus. The payroll system has not been formalized so it will be $13 an hour on a 1099 then there will be a raise later on to make up the difference from taxes.

Note that this person will be working directly under me for the most part and my online persona is pretty much the same as in person . If I piss you off online your really going to hate me in person.

Requirements

Drivers licence with less then 3 points
    Be able to pass a DOT physical
    Be able to use power tools with out harming yourself or others.
    Be able to bend, stoop and carry 50 lbs plus
    Be local to Frederick MD
    Not be a snowflake, a phallus , pothead or a complete mental midget. Also I tend to use my four letter vocabulary quite a bit so thick skin is also required.

A valid CDL is going to be highly desirable and will mean higher pay negotiated with my boss. PM resumes with contact information and times you would like to set up interviews.

Why not give the raise "to make up the difference" now?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The 1099 is offered as an advantage over having taxes withheld. They're assuming the worker will cheat on his taxes, and are encouraging him to do so.

That's why he suggests a raise will "make up the difference. "

Actually if the worker stays legal, he will be totally screwed with self employment tax, and possibly penalties and interest.

I've seen this BS so many times over the years and it sucks.

OP should keep an eye out for a real job with a future. This crook he's working for now will fail and dump him before long.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Wife said last night the Cheesecake Factory is starting dish washers out at $14.50...

We're starting positive attitude and aptitude kids at almost $20 walking through the door up here in the sticks. You would not believe how many losers were weeded out to get the two that we hired. Absolute mind drain trying to hire a good employee.

Sounds like the OP needs to start job hunting instead of recruiting.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Not legal
    Way short on hrly rate
    The carrot on the stick deal with pay raise. Do it now or don’t state that. It is foolish
    Already tells people he will be cursing at them

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom