• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BananaRunt

Dec 9, 2017
    Hi Folks,

Introduction here: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthrea...91#post5021591

New member here. I've searched for an answer to this question, but have been unsuccessful. I'm fairly new to MD also.

First, is "registering" the same as "77r"?

I want to build an AR pistol from an 80% lower. I understand this should be ok according to what I've read on MSP site, but what about "registering" the handgun? It's a regulated firearm, right? I initially thought this shouldn't be required (registering) because the registration or 77r process is required for purchases, and I'm not purchasing, I'm building. But then I read new resident have to register their regulated firearms , so it seems registration extends beyond purchases and transfers. Does anyone have any guidance, and if so, can you link me to something official?

Also, if it does have to be registered, how do I do that? Again, the 77r seems to be for purchases, but after I finish the 80 percent and build into a pistol, it will already be in my possession.

Thanks!

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    How exactly would you register? Are you putting a SN on it? What is the Make and Model. If you want, call the map, they could tell you. Maybe someone can correct me, it isn’t illegal to manufacture a pistol as long as you aren’t a prohibited person.

BananaRunt

Dec 9, 2017
    Thanks to all for the info. I recognize it's ok to build, I'm just wondering about registering/77r. Are they one and the same, and is it required AFTER one builds the receiver into a regulated firearm.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks to all for the info. I recognize it's ok to build, I'm just wondering about registering/77r. Are they one and the same, and is it required AFTER one builds the receiver into a regulated firearm.

You do not need to put a serial number on or register a firearm built for personal use. No 77r required.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    77r is for TRANSFER. You are not transferring it.

If you made an 80% while you lived in another state, and moved to MD after 9/31/13, then you would need to register it.

Hmm, I wonder if it would explode MSP brains to try to register a legal pistol without a serial number. :D

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The 77r is a dual purpose form. It is mainly used for transfers, and the record of that transfer goes into the database, and so it becomes a de facto registration. But it is also used in those odd cases, such as this one, where someone wants to get their gun into the registry for whatever reason. The same form is used, but it's not a transfer, because there's no change of ownership. In this case, it's a Voluntary Registration.

That is the reason for the odd title on that form, which so many people here make cynical and sarcastic jokes about. But it really is two different bureaucratic functions: Transfer is not Voluntary Registration and Voluntary Registration is not Transfer, but the same dual-purpose form is used for both. It's a marvelous example of bureaucratic efficiency and cost-saving.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I thought the whole point of building your own guns in the first place is so you don't have to register or have to deal with any other kind of infringements.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The 77r is a dual purpose form. It is mainly used for transfers, and the record of that transfer goes into the database, and so it becomes a de facto registration. But it is also used in those odd cases, such as this one, where someone wants to get their gun into the registry for whatever reason. The same form is used, but it's not a transfer, because there's no change of ownership. In this case, it's a Voluntary Registration.

That is the reason for the odd title on that form, which so many people here make cynical and sarcastic jokes about. But it really is two different bureaucratic functions: Transfer is not Voluntary Registration and Voluntary Registration is not Transfer, but the same dual-purpose form is used for both. It's a marvelous example of bureaucratic efficiency and cost-saving.

But Transfer INCLUDES voluntary registration.

Read the form, when you execute the form, you agree to Voluntary Registration.

But why anyone in their right mind would want to just voluntarily register a handgun, that is not required to be registered by law is beyond me.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For some it is like a title to a motor vehicle...it is theirs.

Last i heard, though, there were not measures to confiscate motor vehicles - except for that dilly of a measure New Jersey pulled about two decades ago. Then got spanked for it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    But Transfer INCLUDES voluntary registration.

Read the form, when you execute the form, you agree to Voluntary Registration.

But why anyone in their right mind would want to just voluntarily register a handgun, that is not required to be registered by law is beyond me.

The transfer is voluntary, and they keep a record of the transfer, which is a de facto registration, so you might say when you buy a handgun you are voluntarily regstering it, but that is not the reason the form 77r refers to Voluntary Registration.

The form is a dual use form. It is used for two separate bureaucratic/administrative prosseses. Voluntary Registration does not involve a Transfer of ownership. It is a different administrative process.

The bureaucratic mind could never allow a form intended to transfer ownership between two people to be used for a process where no such transfer occurs. But in an astonishing display of imaginative out of the box thinking, someone came up with the brilliant expedient of adding the phrase, "Voluntary Registration" to the form title, thus authorizing one form to be used for two entirely different functions and no doubt saving the taxpayers billions of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom