• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Can I in MD, unrestricted permit. No School at church.

NOBODY

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    If the church allows.

And since it's a church, sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. ;)

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    If the church allows.

And since it's a church, sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. ;)

That is how I live my life in general.

Must the church "allow" it or do they have to prohibit it?

NOBODY

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    That is how I live my life in general.

Must the church "allow" it or do they have to prohibit it?

NOBODY

It's along the lines of if they ask you to leave/disarm you must choose one.

I think localities can prohibit it as well (not covered by state preemption) within 100 yards of areas of public assembly (churches, schools, parks, etc.).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I believe Baltimore bans it. I am not aware of any other localities that do. As with anything, if the representive of the business, organization or property owner tells you to disarm or leave, you must comply. Not sure what the deal is with penalities if a business or property owner has posted no carry and you violate it. Generically to the best of my knowledge no state rises to the level of a jailable offense, just a citation/fine if caught and they call the police. Now if you are told to disarm/leave and refuse that’ll likely result in criminal trespassing if you refuse.

I’d look that up to be sure if something is posted and you were thinking of violating that.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Our church (Cecil County) has an armed security team. They ask that anyone carrying (legally) notify a member of the team in the event of an actual emergency so that they know you are a friendly.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    since the dylan roof church shooting and the texas church shooting, many folks have asked this question. advice from some here say get a letter of approval from the pastor/priest/minister/rabbi, etc., which sounds reasonable. unfortunately, if you look at the statutes concerning the lawful transport of firearms in general, you are to be either going to a shooting range, a gunsmith and so on, or on your way home from said event. i did research on this and unfortunately, it is not a good idea to push the envelope in this state because if any well intentioned parishioner has to use deadly force, THIS state will screw you. i have research case law for maryland dating back to the late 1800's and found the concept of "imperfect self defense" astounding, to say the least. do as you will, i'm just some schmuck that chimes in when i can.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    since the dylan roof church shooting and the texas church shooting, many folks have asked this question. advice from some here say get a letter of approval from the pastor/priest/minister/rabbi, etc., which sounds reasonable. unfortunately, if you look at the statutes concerning the lawful transport of firearms in general, you are to be either going to a shooting range, a gunsmith and so on, or on your way home from said event. i did research on this and unfortunately, it is not a good idea to push the envelope in this state because if any well intentioned parishioner has to use deadly force, THIS state will screw you. i have research case law for maryland dating back to the late 1800's and found the concept of "imperfect self defense" astounding, to say the least. do as you will, i'm just some schmuck that chimes in when i can.
    Easy do.

Every church needs a gunsmith at every service. He or she can set up in back and field questions/make repairs after services...for a small donation to the church.

See. Fixed.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

OP has a W&C permit, so the transportation restrictions do not apply to him.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    My church is considering declaring itself to be a gun free zone. The supidity of such a declaration aside, what might be the legal consequences for a Maryland concealed carry holder who ignores the declaration?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My church is considering declaring itself to be a gun free zone. The supidity of such a declaration aside, what might be the legal consequences for a Maryland concealed carry holder who ignores the declaration?

Nothing. Until they A) See it and B) Ask you to leave. If you decline then they can trespass you.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013

Sounds like you may need to find a new church. One that is comfortable to attend without fear of a bad guy with a gun.

I am blessed that my Southern Maryland pastor is pro 2nd Amendment, he's also a chaplain for the police department, and he continuously ask me 2 carry while I attend. He knows I am in Maryland CCW permit holder.

Everyone on security, knows I carry and we have had many discussions to prevent friendly fire. Pastor told me due to insurance liabilities, he would not be able to provide me a Written Letter giving approval, but I have many text from him requesting me to carry as well as his verbal that he would never prosecute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom