• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    One thing to consider. Magazine cost. If your not gonna get anymore than what come in the box, then don't worry about it. Some can be really pricey and hard to find. Especially if you can't go out of state easily to get them, if your a prisoner of marlandistan. This really applies to a few that go over the 10 round limit. Some that I've mentioned.
    Springfield Range Officer is another great 1911 choice.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    One thing to consider. Magazine cost. If your not gonna get anymore than what come in the box, then don't worry about it. Some can be really pricey and hard to find. Especially if you can't go out of state easily to get them, if your a prisoner of marlandistan. This really applies to a few that go over the 10 round limit. Some that I've mentioned.
    Springfield Range Officer is another great 1911 choice.

I second the Range Officer. I learned to shoot handguns with a GI 1911A1. I've shot many 1911s over the years and when a friend let me try his Range Officer, I was very impressed.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I agree with the idea that you should shoot some of your choices, or at least handle them to see how they feel in your hand. That being, said the Glock 21 and Smith and Wesson M&P full size would top the list for me personally, the Glock in particular has a ton of aftermarket accessories available which will give you tremendous flexibility in customizing the pistol to your tastes and needs, nobody else comes even close in this regard.

The .45 ACP is an outstanding cartridge BTW, in my book it's easily in the top 5.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Then again with a 1911 you can have a slim gun that’s easier to conceal than a double-stack and you can buy all the 7 or 8 round mags you like here in the people’s-republic. Plus 1911’s are just plain cool.

You can even get 10 round 1911 mags if you don't mind them sticking out a bit.
    2a4821a4b296adec3c06cc5aea9bb897.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IF the OP expanded his criteria to include occasional carry, there is a standout option, the G30sf .

For range use, or when otherwise wishing a full length grip, G21 mags can be used with a grip sleeve, with option of flush mag for greater concealment .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For the record, Rock River Arms most inexpensive 1911 is a $925 poly frame pistol. The next step up is in the $1650 for a basic carry pistol and into the $3000+ dollar range for the other models. Now Rock Island Armory has the lower end 1911 pistols priced about like a Glock.

The gentlest shooting 45 ACP pistol I have owned was a stainless Ruger P90. Accurate, you can't hurt it (it was designed as a 10mm platform), but a little on the big side. Not a CCW consideration for me but for outside holstered wear good consideration. I had one, sold it, regretted it. But the 1911's I use quell the remorse.

See post #4 in this thread.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I was checking out a CZ 97 last time I was in Duffy's. I have a glock 21 & 30, and a springfield 1911 but may try to pick up a 97 after the holidays if they still have any.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I didn't mention them since they have been out of production for a time now , but the P90 is my favorite non 1911 .45acp , and I do carry it . Aprox same size & weight as Combat Commander.

Trivia - P90 ( & P345 ) magazines use 1911 followers & springs .

Gutshot

Mar 25, 2017
    Alot depends on how much you want to spend, I have 2 19911 a Sig and RIA aka rock island arms , well made durable and under well under $400 at sportsman guide
    my sig is my choice over Kimber, ruger is also good, almost on a par with sig I got the ria to keep in car, except while at home.
    Then I carry the Glock G41 .45 cal 14 rounds in my man bag everywheres. If I can't carry I do not enter.
    9 mm many to choose from, capacity, use, price value all come into play . If u want to chat more e-m me.
    some one said rent if possible , shoot a box, or borrow. Don't buy until you try.
    "You have the right to remain silent, and be a victim" If you are interested in learning how to shoot defensively join an active IDPA club, it is a valuable experience.
    best wishes, safe shooting. Tom

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For a range toy, capacity isn't a big deal, especially being 45 is kinda pricey. If defensive or competition use is ruled out, then pretty much anything can go. 1911s are an obvious choice, there is a reason they are still around, but at least a decent production model will help avoid problems. I do own a P220, have owned a couple previously, and I do love the model, supremely accurate, nice slim grip, and never a jam, my SAO model has a 1911 control layout, but without being a 1911. Another excellent pistol that should be at the top of the list is the CZ 97B, it's a fantastic pistol, with a relatively slim staggered 10rd mag instead of a bulky true doublestack, the high grip, steel frame, and balance do a great job in taming 45. The S&W 625 is a little outside the box, but they are a lot of fun, and still competitive in wheelgun competition, they are well balanced and fast, and loading with moonclips makes it a lot easier to reload fast. I do like GLOCKs and some other poly framed 45s, but IMO the grips are very large, and they give up a lot of the balance and comfort of a decent singlestack.

dogboy

IDPA RSO / NRA RSO
    Oct 22, 2007
    Patuxent River
    The only 1911 pattern I'd buy any more is the S&W 1911. Because of the external extractor. I read an article by Ted Yost about 1911's, and even he recommended a 1911 with an external extractor instead of the internal, if you weren't a gunsmith, and didn't have one on retainer. His opinion was the extractor and recoil springs were the components that were most likely to give the 1911 trouble in the long run. Of those two, the extractor was the one that was not easily end-user-replaceable, in that it very often required a skilled 1911 tuner to tune the extractor for reliability. It position was that the external extractor, such as can be had on the SW1911's, is much less finicky (my words, not his), such that someone with basic armorer's knowledge could keep it running, rather than a 1911 gunsmith.

If I were to buy another 1911 (I have one that started developing problems over time that the recoil spring replacement didn't fix), it would be something like this:
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw1911-e-series-45-acp

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom