• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm in the market for a .300 BLK, probably pistol actually.

I'm used to my BCM AR which has fired thousands of Wolf .223 with 0 malfunctions. This is the kind of reliability I'm hoping for.

The price on the Aero upper is hundreds lower than one from BCM.

I've heard some trusted SF guys I know say they are good to go but I'd like to hear from a larger pool of people. I know anyone can get a lucky AR.

Anyone have experience with these?

Also, I'm open to any other new makers.

Last edited:

ant92083

Lord Of Summer
    Jul 15, 2016
    MD
    "trusted SF guys"... I am going to assume these are Special Forces guys? I have an Aero blemished upper mated with a BCM SOCOM profile barrel with a DD RIS II attached to it in 5.56. It has given me zero issues. I cannot comment on .300 BLK but the reviews from the site seem favorable: https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-300-8in-complete-upper.html (click the reviews section). Intrigued myself I checked out the googles: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aero+precision+300+blackout+pistol+ Of note I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be_ZL9yOdH0. https://sofrep.com/68896/aero-precision-m4e1-upper-review/ also was an interesting read.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    "trusted SF guys"... I am going to assume these are Special Forces guys? I have an Aero blemished upper mated with a BCM SOCOM profile barrel with a DD RIS II attached to it in 5.56. It has given me zero issues. I cannot comment on .300 BLK but the reviews from the site seem favorable: https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-300-8in-complete-upper.html (click the reviews section). Intrigued myself I checked out the googles: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aero+precision+300+blackout+pistol+ Of note I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be_ZL9yOdH0. https://sofrep.com/68896/aero-precision-m4e1-upper-review/ also was an interesting read.

Yeah. My point was that I value their input due to their real word experience. However, I know everyone can get good AR's regardless of make. But I want a company that doesn't usually put out lemons so more input is needed.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Ask the Chad...

That's who I was hoping this would summon.

Actually I read an old post where he replied about Aero Precision barrels. But that was back before they switched to the well like BA barrels I think.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah. My point was that I value their input due to their real word experience. However, I know everyone can get good AR's regardless of make. But I want a company that doesn't usually put out lemons so more input is needed.

SF aren't operating with Aero Precision lowers, most likely.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Aero makes and sells a good product. If they use BA Barrels they must gauge them heavily because I don't see serious issues from Aero Barrels.

Ballistic Advantage Barrels coming from BA? 50/50.

Are you building a pistol, sbr, or Carbine? What barrel length are you looking at?

No matter what barrel length, I suggest pistol length has for .300 and I prefer SLR adjustable gas blocks if you plan to run it suppressed and unsuppressed.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    During my building craze/phase, assembled a decent amount of uppers with Aero components. Typically had positive things to say about the quality, but my sample size is nowhere near what Chad's dealt with over his years of 'smithing and teaching.

Not much experience with their complete assemblies.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Aero has been making Lowers uppers and handuards for other companies for a long time. Most companies source their parts from a few manufacturer.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    SF aren't operating with Aero Precision lowers, most likely.

I should specify that I did not mean actively using them while deployed.

I just meant that guys I trust who have been on the two way ranges extensively trust them for their at home rifles. Yet I wanted a more broad response because I trust more in companies that consistently put out good rifles. Even low tier companies make some reliable rifles amongst their lemons.

Aero makes and sells a good product. If they use BA Barrels they must gauge them heavily because I don't see serious issues from Aero Barrels.

Ballistic Advantage Barrels coming from BA? 50/50.

Are you building a pistol, sbr, or Carbine? What barrel length are you looking at?

No matter what barrel length, I suggest pistol length has for .300 and I prefer SLR adjustable gas blocks if you plan to run it suppressed and unsuppressed.

Thanks for the reply.

Probably a pistol with 8"-10" barrel. Not entirely sure yet.

It's good to hear about the barrels because I dug up an old thread about accuracy issues. Maybe that was before they used BA.

I'm mainly concerned with reliability though. After dealing with a Rock River, I never want to make the mistake of buying cheap again. Especially since this may become my "go to".

Do you think the Aero is up to that task or should I just go with someone else to be sure?

I'm mostly considering Aero because I could get a whole pistol (upper and lower) for the price I'd pay for just a BCM upper WITHOUT a BCG! However, if I don't have the peace of mind I'd rather just buy expensive.

I just don't trust an AR until it proves it can fire 1k rounds without any malfunctions and even then there are the unforeseen issues like improperly staked gas keys, etc.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would use a BCM BCG and blindly trust them. In the past 5 years I have seen one ulissue with a BCM BCG. One. No one beats that besides Colt and FN.

I am not a fan of BCM 16" .300 Barrels. They use carbine length gas. Not optimal for .300.

Their 9" and 12.5" are good as they use pistol gas.

BA barrels when they gauge out are very accurate, BCM barrels are geared more towards reliability.

If you want reliability, my .300 preference is a chrome lined Faxon 4150 barrel. Not expensive and well made.

Avoid Nitrided or Melonited Barrels.

BCM or MI Handguard
    Faxon 8.5" Chrome Lined 5R Barrel
    SLR Adjustable Gas Block
    BCM or Toolcraft BCG
    BCM or Aero Upper with Forward Assist

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would use a BCM BCG and blindly trust them. In the past 5 years I have seen one ulissue with a BCM BCG. One. No one beats that besides Colt and FN.

I am not a fan of BCM 16" .300 Barrels. They use carbine length gas. Not optimal for .300.

Their 9" and 12.5" are good as they use pistol gas.

BA barrels when they gauge out are very accurate, BCM barrels are geared more towards reliability.

If you want reliability, my .300 preference is a chrome lined Faxon 4150 barrel. Not expensive and well made.

Avoid Nitrided or Melonited Barrels.

BCM or MI Handguard
    Faxon 8.5" Chrome Lined 5R Barrel
    SLR Adjustable Gas Block
    BCM or Toolcraft BCG
    BCM or Aero Upper with Forward Assist

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wouldn't. I would strip it, gauge it and do other work to it, but then again I would do the same to a BCM too.

I'm not the normal AR owner though so my views are skewed.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I highly recommend contacting Chad about doing a reliability package on any AR pattern rifle you purchase.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I like Aero products and they are great quality from what I have experienced. My Aero products met all specs in Chads class with the exception of the BCG. The gas key staking wasn't up to par. Fortunately, Chad was nice enough to stake it for me. I also swapped the ejector spring (Colt).

Toolcraft phosphate BCGs can be found for under $75 right now. Great price.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    while i can't comment on 300BLK or pistol length, nor do I have the knowledge of some others on here, i just finished a build using mostly Aero stuff.

Aero upper and lower, BCG, charging handle, ATLAS handguard and lower parts kit. everything went together with no problems, not enough rounds through it yet to judge reliability but from a customer service perspective, they were very quick to respond to questions with useful answers AND resolved a small issue that i had with an order. basically i screwed up something and forgot to use a discount code. i emailed right after and tried to see if they would honor it. they couldn't on that specific order but instead credited my account so i could use the discount on my next one.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    any one care to share experience with complete aero m4e1 uppers ? i just purchased one for a build and would like to know if there are any current issues i should be on the lookout for.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom