• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryukikass

May 4, 2019
    Hi all, this is my first thread but if I have a C&R license, can I legally obtain the Dragunov that's russian-made? (I know the Chinese one is banned as it's named.) I am disregarding the fact that it's very pricey & trying to understand it's legallity as long as it's over 50 years old which some are, right?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Hi all, this is my first thread but if I have a C&R license, can I legally obtain the Dragunov that's russian-made? (I know the Chinese one is banned as it's named.) I am disregarding the fact that it's very pricey & trying to understand it's legallity as long as it's over 50 years old which some are, right?

did you look at the ATF's list? It lists the "Russian (U.S.S.R.), Dragunov, semiautomatic rifle, Model SVD, cal. 7.62 x 54R, of Soviet
    manufacture, Soviet military issue only"

So technically if you could find an original military issue and not a later version it would qualify as C&R federally, idk about maryland legality, but my understanding is that these were never really imported. There might be a few out there somewhere but a search on gunbroker didn't turn up any. So its past very pricey, it appears to be unobtainium.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    did you look at the ATF's list? It lists the "Russian (U.S.S.R.), Dragunov, semiautomatic rifle, Model SVD, cal. 7.62 x 54R, of Soviet
    manufacture, Soviet military issue only"

So technically if you could find an original military issue and not a later version it would qualify as C&R federally, idk about maryland legality, but my understanding is that these were never really imported. There might be a few out there somewhere but a search on gunbroker didn't turn up any. So its past very pricey, it appears to be unobtainium.

You can find Tigrs (commercial variant) on GB, but they won't actually hit C&R status until next year. The only commercial variant right now that you could buy would be a Medved (Bear) but they are extremely rare. Even then, I'd double-check with MSP to make sure that they're not enumerated. Online it says that the Dragunov is banned, but it mentions China as the manufacturer, not the USSR or Izmash. Likely a typo, but who knows.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Now, if you're not going to disappear, go to the Introductions forum to introduce yourself to everyone. Then check out the C & R Forum which will answer most of your questions or show you where to find the answers, and teach you much about being a FFL 03 licensee.

Welcome to MDS

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The exact wording under Firearm Search subheading "Dragunov"
    is:

Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto
    Banned
    Enumerated in Statute

Is specifically says "Chinese made" when talking about the rifle. In my opinion, not banned. Of course you can be stupid, push the issue and call the MSP so that they can make things up on the fly and screw everyone. To channel the spirit of Sun Tsu, Do not help the enemy use his tools against you. Rather, use the enemy's own tools against him.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You are correct, there is no such thing as a Chinese Dragunov. Pretty sure the NDM is a copy of the SVD and you will not find a FFL in MD willing to make the submission.

Last edited:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Probably a better idea to get a VEPR made into as close of a clone as possible for 1/6 the money. It should be legal.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I haven't heard of any commercial imports of surplus ones, but there are a handful of Soviet era, military SVDs that made it into the country as bringbacks, both papered and unpapered. The Army released 14 of them after Desert Storm. One of them sold on Gunbroker with papers back in 2010 for $15k. Someone on Gunboards said they had a Vietnam bringback SVD with papers that they originally purchased in 1984 for $5k and they saw more at the time.

KBI imported 100 actual SVDs, but they were brand new 1994 production from the Russian Federation, not Soviet manufacture or Soviet military surplus.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    There is some debate but it is generally accepted that the KBI ones fall under the Federal C&R laws too. If you have a C&R, you do not need to have a Russian/Soviet SVD imported before 1995 go through a marylifornia FFL; it can be shipped straight to your house. A Tigr must go through an FFL. Believe it or not, there is no US ban on Russian made SVD's or Tigr's. The problem is that the Russians won't sell them to us.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I saw a post on AK Files where somebody associated with the newly re-formed FEG factory in Hungary said that they’re planning on importing a few hundred Hungarian made SVD’s sometime in the near future.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I saw a post on AK Files where somebody associated with the newly re-formed FEG factory in Hungary said that they’re planning on importing a few hundred Hungarian made SVD’s sometime in the near future.

I’d lay some coin down for that. Hungary has made some excellent com bloc pattern rifles.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There is some debate but it is generally accepted that the KBI ones fall under the Federal C&R laws too. If you have a C&R, you do not need to have a Russian/Soviet SVD imported before 1995 go through a marylifornia FFL; it can be shipped straight to your house. A Tigr must go through an FFL. Believe it or not, there is no US ban on Russian made SVD's or Tigr's. The problem is that the Russians won't sell them to us.

I don't think there is a C&R exemption in COMAR regarding bringing a banned long gun into MD.

Pretty sure it just says you can't bring them into MD for any reason. Can you show me the exemption?

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    If you can verify date of manufacture at 50+ years, and if it is in original configuration (not original parts just original configuration), then C&R status is automatic.

Certainly they can't be imported, so you'd have to find one imported before the ban on Soviet imports.

And then there's the conundrum of whether or not is legal to own in a given state.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If you can verify date of manufacture at 50+ years, and if it is in original configuration (not original parts just original configuration), then C&R status is automatic.

Certainly they can't be imported, so you'd have to find one imported before the ban on Soviet imports.

And then there's the conundrum of whether or not is legal to own in a given state.

Read up on your C&R, in addition to the 50 year status, there is also a curio status with a published list of qualified firearms. The SVD is on the list, making the age requirement moot.

This thread was already well beyond that.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Under the law, copies are banned too. It doesn't matter where they are made.
    But what if the banned weapon is the copy? Does that make the original banned too? Weapon B is a copy of Weapon A, which can be established to have been produced before Weapon B. Weapon B is listed as banned, but Weapon A is not. Does that make Weapon A banned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom