Savage Model 111 at Wally World...Good Deal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MafiaConnected

Mar 25, 2008
    Urbana/Frederick
    Wally World has a Savage Model 111 bolt action .270 w/ scope for $377. I checked with Dick's and they are around the same price (if not slightly more). I also checked with the nearest FFL which is Atlantic Guns in Rockville...they are a rip off...same rifle no scope...$520+!!

I want to know if this deal at Wally World is a decent deal? And if anyone has any input on the rifle itself?

Thanks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Wal-mart sometimes gets "exclusive" rifles and packages, basically cheap stuff that may not have the features of a comparable open market model, like the one you are looking at without the accutrigger. The scope is crap, and many don't make it past the first couple boxes of ammo. The stock is fit poorly, and very flimsy, the rifle works, but for a little more loot, you can get a 111G, or a 116FHSS that are a lot better made, and put a tasco on it, or a decent Nikon scope, and have a nice rifle on the cheap. Or even look into a used one, that might be a much better model than the wallyworld special, but cost the same.

MafiaConnected

Mar 25, 2008
    Urbana/Frederick
    point taken, however...I wasnt looking to spend too much any way. the model they have is this: Savage Package Series 111FCXP3 270. I know the scope is garbage. I could have sworn that it had an accutrigger. They salesguy said he had the same one and his had an accutrigger. He even went into detail about it and how it works. I looked it over and everything looked fine and felt sturdy.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I would stop by The gun center first, sometimes they have good prices on used stuff, but if they don't pan out, it would serve it's purpose as a deer rifle, just keep an eye on the scope, if it starts hitting all over the place, or parts come loose, ditch it, and get something at least 1/2 way decent like a low end Nikon, or Bushnell. Or just mount a sope on a 91/30 mosin for about the cheapest deer rifle on the planet.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    I would stop by The gun center first, sometimes they have good prices on used stuff, but if they don't pan out, it would serve it's purpose as a deer rifle, just keep an eye on the scope, if it starts hitting all over the place, or parts come loose, ditch it, and get something at least 1/2 way decent like a low end Nikon, or Bushnell. Or just mount a sope on a 91/30 mosin for about the cheapest deer rifle on the planet.

why even put a scope on a mosin? lol

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Wal-mart sometimes gets "exclusive" rifles and packages, basically cheap stuff that may not have the features of a comparable open market model, like the one you are looking at without the accutrigger. The scope is crap, and many don't make it past the first couple boxes of ammo. The stock is fit poorly, and very flimsy, the rifle works, but for a little more loot, you can get a 111G, or a 116FHSS that are a lot better made, and put a tasco on it, or a decent Nikon scope, and have a nice rifle on the cheap. Or even look into a used one, that might be a much better model than the wallyworld special, but cost the same.

You're kidding me right? Why would Savage allow an inferior product to go to Walmart? Once the gun leaves the rack it's not a Walmart .270 and a Real Gun Shop .270. It's a Savage still, plain and simple.

Now maybe the package is a bit cheaper, I personally have a Savage .30-06 I bought from Dick's when I worked there(got an awesome discount) and it came with a cheap scope and no accutrigger, but it's still a good rifle. I actually have that scope on my AR now and it works just fine. I put a Nikon Prostaff on the Savage.

The reason Walmart can sell cheaper is because they buy in such huge amounts. Call up your local gun shop about a 10/22 and they're probably paying more from their distributor then you can buy from Walmart.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    It should definitely have the accu-trigger. If not, it's a Stevens, the same as the Savage 110/111 series, but no accu-trigger and a cheaper gray synthetic stock. Same action, same barrel, etc. I have the Stevens, BTW, in .243, and I'm very happy with it.

MH

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It should definitely have the accu-trigger. If not, it's a Stevens, the same as the Savage 110/111 series, but no accu-trigger and a cheaper gray synthetic stock. Same action, same barrel, etc. I have the Stevens, BTW, in .243, and I'm very happy with it.

MH

Thats the one, but with the black stock and marked as Savage. I have seen a few at wal-marts in PA, new production, no accu-trigger. They also used to get Weatherby vanguard packages as an exclusive, then again, a decent rifle, but flimsy stock, and crappy scope. I had a 116 combo from wal-mart a few years ago, put a laminated stock on it, and a decent bushnell scope, it shot well, but I sold it.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Savage does make rifles without the accutrigger. Look on their site. The "advantage" of no accu-trigger is a drop out box mag, I guess some might consider that an advantage.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    I sold the Savage 111 scope package at Kmart in 1997-1998 and they were good sellers. I never really heard anything bad from someone who purchased one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom