ATF Rules the Upper of FN FNCs are the Receiver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Well at least the lower is being removed from classification as a receiver, if I read it correctly.

But if they're using this logic:

ATF has reconsidered its classification of the lower assembly of the FNC rifle as the
    receiver. The upper assembly of the FNC rifle is more properly classified as the receiver.
    The upper assembly of the FNC rifle houses the bolt and provides a connection point for
    the barrel

If that's the logic, then will AR uppers become the new 'receivers' one day?

Of course under an Obama ATF, I'm sure both the upper and lower (as well as the barrel and FCG probably) of all firearms will become regulated. Don't worry though, he'll respect all us bitter guys' Second Amendment Right to hunt and fish :rolleyes:

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Well at least the lower is being removed from classification as a receiver, if I read it correctly.

Of course under an Obama ATF, I'm sure both the upper and lower (as well as the barrel and FCG probably) of all firearms will become regulated. Don't worry though, he'll respect all us bitter guys' Second Amendment Right to hunt and fish :rolleyes:

Right, and only "one gun per month" for those purchases in MD :tdown:

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Aren't the upper recievers of FAL's also the regulated part? I can see how them changing the rules midway is kind of f'd up, but other then that its not that big of a deal really...

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh

ATF has reconsidered its classification of the lower assembly of the FNC rifle as the
    receiver. The upper assembly of the FNC rifle is more properly classified as the receiver.
    The upper assembly of the FNC rifle houses the bolt and provides a connection point for
    the barrel

I don't think this is the logic they are going by.

This is the reason I think they are using:

In order to install a registered FNC sear into a host FNC rifle, a hole must be drilled into
    the lower assembly and a portion of the solid area of the lower assembly between the
    magazine well and the compartment for the trigger mechanism must be milled out. If the
    lower assembly were to be classified as the receiver, any such modifications would create a new machinegun receiver, potentially in violation of 18 U.S.C. 922(o) (prohibiting the transfer or possession of a machinegun except for official Federal, State, or local government use).

Kinda makes sence.

I don't see this logic being applied to AR's since the sears that are out there for AR's are Drop in, they do not require any modification of the origional receiver to install and work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom